The Student Room Group

This is not art

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Lionheart96
It all depends on peoples perceptions and opinions of the world. I wouldn't compare this art to the works of Da Vinci or Mozart obviously.
A black canvas could be considered as art to some depending on how they interpret it.
The silence could be considered as music to some depending on how they interpret it.
It all depends on the person.

I think this is wishy washy nonsense. My perception is that this is not art because it doesn't really consist of anything at all, and if we're to award the title to this we might as well to anything. For the title to mean something there must be some general cut off, pieces that meet a general level of skill and mastery in a certain field and pieces that don't; pieces that directly convey a certain level of stimulus to the consumer and pieces that don't. Canvases painted black and sheets of empty manuscripts don't come near to meeting any serious cut off I can imagine.
Original post by Birkenhead
I think this is wishy washy nonsense. My perception is that this is not art because it doesn't really consist of anything at all, and if we're to award the title to this we might as well to anything. For the title to mean something there must be some general cut off, pieces that meet a general level of skill and mastery in a certain field and pieces that don't; pieces that directly convey a certain level of stimulus to the consumer and pieces that don't. Canvases painted black and sheets of empty manuscripts don't come near to meeting any serious cut off I can imagine.

Just your opinion. Art is different for everyone so it will be difficult to find a common ground.
P.s. I don't actually think this is art either I'm just playing the devils advocate
Reply 82
Original post by Lionheart96
Just your opinion. Art is different for everyone so it will be difficult to find a common ground.
P.s. I don't actually think this is art either I'm just playing the devils advocate

Of course it's just my opinion, as I keep having to say. It would be nice if people could come up with some counter opinions to what I'm saying about art other than 'art is subjective'. We know that, what I'm looking for is discussion about my subjective opinion of what art is and the examples I've provided not fitting my view of this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by number23
Life=A
Piece of art=B

Your logic: B=B. A=A. So A does not equal B.

Faultless logic.
Faultless logic.

I sincerely hope that was a satire.
Reply 85
Original post by jakeel1
I sincerely hope that was a satire.

It was not a fair assessment of what I've said. Under the definition of art I've already suggested, everyday life does not qualify.
It was not a fair assessment of what I've said. Under the definition of art I've already suggested, everyday life does not qualify.

I was speaking about the person you quoted. I disagree with such a general definition of art, it is nothing more than an empty phrase under the definition these people seem to support.
Only those who cannot truly understand art criticise art.
Original post by okuyombenya

I think you are entirely wrong, I have a very good understanding of art history, both classical and modern, and this modernist rejection of criticism is little more than poison, it has reduced the arts to barbarism. If we hold that everything is art, then my statement is art, therefore you can't criticise this view.
Original post by jakeel1
I think you are entirely wrong, I have a very good understanding of art history, both classical and modern, and this modernist rejection of criticism is little more than poison, it has reduced the arts to barbarism.

It's all opinion. Art is meant to create confusion and awe; that's the purpose of it. People shouldn't criticise art because it's not there to be criticised, it's there to arise bewilderment in the viewer and teach and be purposeful. A person who criticises and claims that "this is not art" does not truly understand it; they are criticising raw expression. What is "art" anyway, apart from pure projection and expression?
(edited 9 years ago)
It's all opinion. Art is meant to create confusion and awe; that's the purpose of it. People shouldn't criticise art because it's not there to be criticised, it's there to arise bewilderment in the viewer and teach and be purposeful. A person who criticises and claims that "this is not art" does not truly understand it; they are criticising raw expression. What is "art" anyway, apart from pure projection and expression?

If all art is subjective, then the purpose of art is also subjective. I reject your purpose as one of many interpreations.
Original post by jakeel1
If all art is subjective, then the purpose of art is also subjective. I reject your purpose as one of many interpreations.

Okay, reject away.
Reply 92

What a load of arrogant tripe.
What a load of arrogant tripe.

My opinion is as arrogant as your first post that "this is not art".
Reply 94
My opinion is as arrogant as your first post that "this is not art".

No. My post was very clear that such pieces are not art in my view. Your position is that anyone who queries a work's status as art necessarily lacks understanding of it. One is arrogant nonsense and the other is controversial but very understandable opinion.
Reply 95
I saw this, along with other random items, displayed in the Tate Modern when I went last year. All I can say is I am still very, very confused.
Reply 96
Original post by Sint
I saw this, along with other random items, displayed in the Tate Modern when I went last year. All I can say is I am still very, very confused.

Makes the examples I've used look like the works of Turner and Bach
Reply 97
Bump for more opinions and discussion.
Below are two examples of so-called 'art works' that shouldn't, in my view, be so described.

The first is a painting that I once saw in Tate St Ives. It is a canvas painted black. That's it. No, really. That's it. On exhibition in a prestigious art gallery. I cannot find an image of the exact painting but below is a close enough example. It's not as difficult as you might think to find closely resembling images of black canvases.

The second example is a so-called 'piece of music' 'composed' by John Cage. It is called '4'33' and consists of four minutes and thirty three seconds of silence from the conductor and a full orchestra.

Birkenhead's law: Anything that anyone with the most basic cognitive and motor abilities can do on a first attempt cannot reasonably be called 'art'.

I welcome any challenges to what I've said, examples of 'works of art' you believe don't deserve the title and all other contributions.

Wata..... O.o
It's weird to have them both presented in public anyway
What nonsense

The artist should really learn how to draw a line
Reply 99
I wonder if attitudes have changed in the month since I posted this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending