The Student Room Group

Changing uni and course.

Hi, I really need some advice and help on what steps I should take.
I am currently in my first year of study at university and I strongly dislike both my course and the university. I applied again through UCAS to different courses and uni's, I have received offers which I am thrilled about. However, I don't know what I do about student finance and dropping out of my current university. I would be happy to leave uni now but I am struggling to find a job and I don't just want to bum around doing nothing with my days.
What do you think I should do? I'm feeling a bit lost in the situation.
I would encourage you to try and make it to the end of the year if possible as this would be best financially as if you drop out mid-way through a year you may be liable to be back some money immediately if they say you have been over paid. Of course this would mean carrying on with the course for a little while longer but you don't need to put as much effort into it, as you know you'll be starting over again. Whether you leave now or at the end of the year your entitlement will be the same for you following course anyway as they would count it as a year of funding. As you have also highlighted, there is no guarantee that you'll be able to find a job so unless you're sure you can financially afford to drop out mid-way through I would suggest that you continue for the rest of this year. (this is my personal opinion, it's your life and only you know whether you could carry on the rest of this year). Also remember your student finance includes the summer holidays so it would be best to drop out in September rather than June when you break up for summer.
Reply 2
Original post by KiwiMonkey96
I would encourage you to try and make it to the end of the year if possible as this would be best financially as if you drop out mid-way through a year you may be liable to be back some money immediately if they say you have been over paid. Of course this would mean carrying on with the course for a little while longer but you don't need to put as much effort into it, as you know you'll be starting over again. Whether you leave now or at the end of the year your entitlement will be the same for you following course anyway as they would count it as a year of funding. As you have also highlighted, there is no guarantee that you'll be able to find a job so unless you're sure you can financially afford to drop out mid-way through I would suggest that you continue for the rest of this year. (this is my personal opinion, it's your life and only you know whether you could carry on the rest of this year). Also remember your student finance includes the summer holidays so it would be best to drop out in September rather than June when you break up for summer.

Thank you this is most helpful, I think I will have to stay until the end of this academic year. Do I apply for funding for my new course the way I did for this one?
Original post by cole84
Thank you this is most helpful, I think I will have to stay until the end of this academic year. Do I apply for funding for my new course the way I did for this one?

As far as I am aware yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending