The Student Room Group

How black can you act without being racist?

... if you're not black.

Or for any race for that matter.

Edit: Because people have already found a way to be offended by my post, amazingly enough... I shall re-phrase the question;

Which black stereotypes are considered too racist to mention and which ones aren't?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

hahahahahaa...mate i lived in my places to know that there is no boundary. As long as you`re not "acting black" to be purposely offensive its fine.
I don't think it's fair to generalize an entire race to one stereotype - not all black people say 'Yo Dawg', some are actually very well spoken and literate people. My point is there's not one way to act 'black', just like there shouldn't be a way to act 'white'.

But it's still funny :smile:.
I think you should focus on your intentions because if you are meaning to say because you are trying to be black then no because your not. There is an extent of what you can say before you are being racist.
Original post by Kyou
I don't think it's fair to generalize an entire race to one stereotype - not all black people say 'Yo Dawg', some are actually very well spoken and literate people. My point is there's not one way to act 'black', just like there shouldn't be a way to act 'white'.

But it's still funny :smile:.

Yeh ofc, but its a stereotype isn't it.
Smearing your face with black paint is a step too far.
The fact that you think there is one generalised way to 'act black' already screams racist to me.
Original post by Ikidyounot.
What's the point in this thread?

Who are you asking this question?

Do you care what they think?

None, TSR, Yes
Original post by WithoutMuchHope
The fact that you think there is one generalised way to 'act black' already screams racist to me.

Then you're too sensitive.
Original post by SquareBrackets
Yeh ofc, but its a stereotype isn't it.

I suppose that's true :tongue:.
Just don't be a wigger... or something else for that matter.
Original post by SquareBrackets
Then you're too sensitive.

Nah, I just don't believe in actively propagating stereotypes for any gender/race/demographic. That's all really.
Original post by WithoutMuchHope
Nah, I just don't believe in actively propagating stereotypes for any gender/race/demographic. That's all really.

I agree
We can see through it, you know, irl. I would know you if I saw you.

I don't get what you're saying / trying to say. Either explain it to me or leave me alone!
:K:

I think Ive been as clear as you've been. Also you invited us into this discussion, bit rude to ask me to leave

No I don't want you to leave, I just don't understand your last post at all. So if you're going to quote me and say something, I just wish you'd clarify what you mean. Never mind...
The generalisations are real in the OP. I'm black & quite offended.

Do/say whatever you want, as long as you're not intending to purposefuly offend anyone. Or else you might just suffer the consequences.
Perpetuating the myth that someones skin colour makes them act in a particular way - act "black" - is racist in and of itself. Stop it you rotten dog.
You mean, which gangster stereotypes can you adopt without looking like a clown? None.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Perpetuating the myth that someones skin colour makes them act in a particular way - act "black" - is racist in and of itself. Stop it you rotten dog.

Go to hell. Turn on a television, maybe watch Top Gear tonight. It might help you.

Are you the kind of person that sits there writing complaint letters?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by perspiracious
Smearing your face with black paint is a step too far.

What if you are going Morris dancing?

Quick Reply

Latest