The Student Room Group

Nanoscience, Condensed Matter Physics, and Quantum Physics

What's the difference between nanoscience, condensed matter physics (CMP), and quantum physics?

So far, I think nanoscience and CMP deals with the same size scale (nanoscale), but nanoscience is more experimental whereas CMP is more theoretical.

Quantum physics deals with physics in the size scale smaller than nanoscience and CMP, the quantum scale.

Is this correct?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Stonebridge
x

Help please. :colondollar:
Original post by Groot
What's the difference between nanoscience, condensed matter physics (CMP), and quantum physics?

So far, I think nanoscience and CMP deals with the same size scale (nanoscale), but nanoscience is more experimental whereas CMP is more theoretical.

Quantum physics deals with physics in the size scale smaller than nanoscience and CMP, the quantum scale.

Is this correct?

Nanoscience deals with scales down to around 1 order of magnitude larger than the diameter of an individual atom (1Á) to around 100nm (1000Á). It seeks to model the behaviour and hence manipulate materials at this scale. e.g. semiconductors, biomedicines, protective coatings etc. Quantum mechanics is needed to model behaviour at this scale. Nonoscience bridges the boundary between physics and the useful applications of technology at this scale. In that sense, it covers applications in engineering, medicine, biology and chemistry.

Quantum mechanics seeks to understand the laws governing the nature, behaviour and interactions of matter and energy at Planck scales and energies. It describes things like the quantisation of forces, wave-particle duality of the photon, Quantum entanglement of particles, uncertainty principle etc.

Condensed Matter Physics is a branch of Physics dealing with the condensed phases of matter. i.e. phase transitions between solids, liquids, Einstein-Bose condensates etc. It finds applications in nanoscience, electronics, superconductors, magnetic resonance imaging etc. and again is based on Quantum theory.
Reply 3
Original post by uberteknik
Nanoscience deals with scales down to around 1 order of magnitude larger than the diameter of an individual atom (1Á) to around 100nm (1000Á). It seeks to model the behaviour and hence manipulate materials at this scale. e.g. semiconductors, biomedicines, protective coatings etc. Quantum mechanics is needed to model behaviour at this scale. Nonoscience bridges the boundary between physics and the useful applications of technology at this scale. In that sense, it covers applications in engineering, medicine, biology and chemistry.

Quantum mechanics seeks to understand the laws governing the nature, behaviour and interactions of matter and energy at Planck scales and energies. It describes things like the quantisation of forces, wave-particle duality of the photon, Quantum entanglement of particles, uncertainty principle etc.

Condensed Matter Physics is a branch of Physics dealing with the condensed phases of matter. i.e. phase transitions between solids, liquids, Einstein-Bose condensates etc. It finds applications in nanoscience, electronics, superconductors, magnetic resonance imaging etc. and again is based on Quantum theory.

From your reply, what I understand is that quantum physics provides the theory for nanoscience and CMP. Nanoscience and CMP are involved with applications.

But what's the difference between nanoscience and CMP then? Is it simply that nanoscience is more general because it covers more states than condensed matter states?
Original post by Groot
From your reply, what I understand is that quantum physics provides the theory for nanoscience and CMP. Nanoscience and CMP are involved with applications.

But what's the difference between nanoscience and CMP then? Is it simply that nanoscience is more general because it covers more states than condensed matter states?

Nanoscience refers to an scale (the nanometer scale), rather than any particular field of sceince.

Quick Reply

Latest