The Student Room Group

Additional Maths FSMQ

Hi, I completed my GCSE Maths in Year 10 and achieved an A*, so I am currently studying Additional Maths as a FSMQ. I was just wondering how do universities regard this qualification and will it help me when studying A-Level Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Laurenxxx
Hi, I completed my GCSE Maths in Year 10 and achieved an A*, so I am currently studying Additional Maths as a FSMQ. I was just wondering how do universities regard this qualification and will it help me when studying A-Level Maths?

Universities will be pleased that you are continuing to study useful maths

It will support your A level studies
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
Universities will be pleased that you are continuing to study useful maths

It will support your A level studies

total agreement (just too late to comment)
Also, it gives UCAS points when you get a high grade in the fmsq this helps too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

FSMQ covers almost all of edexcel C1 and C2
Reply 5
Original post by Chittesh14
Also, it gives UCAS points when you get a high grade in the fmsq this helps too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, didn't know about this, thanks!!

Original post by Random1357
FSMQ covers almost all of edexcel C1 and C2

That can't be bad thing! Thank you:smile:
Reply 6

I did this last year, It gives you 20 UCAS points if you get an A, and its basically C1 and some C2 at Alevel, so you'll get a head start.
Original post by NabeelM
I did this last year, It gives you 20 UCAS points if you get an A, and its basically C1 and some C2 at Alevel, so you'll get a head start.

Yep that's absolutely right, I've done my research already :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow, didn't know about this, thanks!!

That can't be bad thing! Thank you:smile:

Congratulations on the A*, I'm doing It this year in year 10 too, need your luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Congratulations on the A*, I'm doing It this year in year 10 too, need your luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll be fine as long as you prepare well and do looooaaads of past papers! Honestly, I can't recommend anything more :biggrin: Thank you, by the way.
You'll be fine as long as you prepare well and do looooaaads of past papers! Honestly, I can't recommend anything more :biggrin: Thank you, by the way.

Np and yeah! If you don't mind me asking, how much UMS did you get overall out of 200?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Np and yeah! If you don't mind me asking, how much UMS did you get overall out of 200?

Posted from TSR Mobile

181, 96 in non calculator and 85 in the calculator, strange considering in all the past papers I had done I was scoring higher in the calc paper haha:tongue: A girl in my class got 200 and another 198 :colondollar:
181, 96 in non calculator and 85 in the calculator, strange considering in all the past papers I had done I was scoring higher in the calc paper haha:tongue: A girl in my class got 200 and another 198 :colondollar:

Wow, they must be clever and have real potential. So did you, anything above 90% is great, 95% is just amazing! He got 97 in non-calculator and 86 in calculator. The record in my school is 183 marks, aiming to beat it. I'm assuming June 2015 is going to be harder than June 2014 and 2013:/. Hopefully, I ace it though. I struggle on calculator papers do, just due to trigonometry, when I get those right, I should ace all papers. Algebraic fractions can be a hassle too. What questions did you get wrong, did you get the paper, or realise which ones you got wrong?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Wow, they must be clever and have real potential. So did you, anything above 90% is great, 95% is just amazing! He got 97 in non-calculator and 86 in calculator. The record in my school is 183 marks, aiming to beat it. I'm assuming June 2015 is going to be harder than June 2014 and 2013:/. Hopefully, I ace it though. I struggle on calculator papers do, just due to trigonometry, when I get those right, I should ace all papers. Algebraic fractions can be a hassle too. What questions did you get wrong, did you get the paper, or realise which ones you got wrong?

Really hard workers who will succeed in whatever they do, they just have an amazing attitude and work ethic. Yeah, they do tend to get harder over the years but you'll be fine! Embarrassingly enough, on the non calc paper I lost 4 marks on one of the first questions, can't remember what it was but I completely over-thought it :confused: I just looked at the unofficial mark scheme as soon as I got home and compared it to what I remembered putting.
Really hard workers who will succeed in whatever they do, they just have an amazing attitude and work ethic. Yeah, they do tend to get harder over the years but you'll be fine! Embarrassingly enough, on the non calc paper I lost 4 marks on one of the first questions, can't remember what it was but I completely over-thought it :confused: I just looked at the unofficial mark scheme as soon as I got home and compared it to what I remembered putting.

I totally agree. Wow, that's cool, people include unofficial mark schemes on the day! :smile:. I just aim to get A* and hopefully 180 UMS+ or 90%+. Will be extremely proud with that achievement :smile:.
erm i am doing add maths in june and i was wondering are their any sites you recommend
There are no sites that I know of that specifically support the FSMQ but since much of it is AS level maths, the exam solutions site may be useful
www.examsolutions.net
Unis don't care - it is still just a GCSE (albeit harder) in maths.

However, it is good as it is C1, C2, D1 and M1 in a nutshell, giving you great exposure to AS maths

I got 92% in it lost 8 marks on the last D1 question
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tazza ma razza
Unis don't care - it is still just a GCSE (albeit harder) in maths.

No. A GCSE is a Level 2 qualification. This is a Level 3 qualification (the same as A Level).
Original post by Mr M
No. A GCSE is a Level 2 qualification. This is a Level 3 qualification (the same as A Level).

I think the point is that an A in AS makes FSMQ redundant as it is a better regarded qualification. I would argue that an A grade AS maths student should be able to get nearly full marks.

Quick Reply

Latest