The Student Room Group

Aqa geography a exams summer 2015

We can discuss revision help/ predictions etc.
Sophie
Reply 1
This is the GCSE where you will die, especially if your coursework wasn't great
Oh no !! What makes you say that? I got my coursework back a few days ago, I got 54/60 which I was happy with. I think I may fall down in the exam though as some questions are worded really weirdly :smile:
I got an A* in the coursework, not sure what mark though.

The exams are on the 19th May and the 3rd June I believe, and I might try and upload some revision resources nearer the time. If I had to think of tips for the exam I'd say - Always look whether you're being asked to describe or explain
- Practice gleaning information from picture, including maps
- specific places and statistics for case studies
- ANSWER THE RIGHT QUESTIONS IN THE EXAM (technically you get marked on the questions you did the best on but I wouldn't recommend trying them all because it has led to many failing)
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Psientist

The exams are on the 19th May and the 3rd June I believe, and I might try and upload some revision resources nearer the time. If I had to think of tips for the exam I'd say - Always look whether you're being asked to describe or explain
- ANSWER THE RIGHT QUESTIONS IN THE EXAM (technically you get marked on the questions you did the best on but I wouldn't recommend trying them all because it has led to many failing)

Hi I was just wondering, what exam board are you on?:smile:

You need 53 for an A* so I was only one mark into the boundary. Yes that is when they are seems so close!! Ok, thanks :smile:
Original post by STUDYREVISE
Hi!
I am doing: Restless Earth, Living World, Ice on the land, Tourism, Population Change, Development Gap.

Just started revision today!! done Restless Earth and Living World and am currently doing Ice on the land, hopefully done by today!
I am making notes because I already know my facts because we've been having revision sessions in school but I don't know any case studies.
I have made notes and fully understand Restless Earth and Living World but am struggling to remember the formation of things in Ice on the land, but I'm sure I'll be fine.

We had a mock on Paper 1 and I got an A* :smile: . We have done a Paper 2 mock, but haven't got our results yet.
Will be getting my Coursework mark in 2 weeks time. Fingers crossed.
I am going to be doing Geography at college too as well as Biology, Chemistry and English Literature.

Good Luck to everyone revising!

I am doing: Restless Earth, Water on the Land, Coastal Zone, Tourism, Changing Urban Environments and Globalisation. Wow, have you finished all of the topics already? We have half or Urbanisation and all of Globalisation left to do before last day on 12th May !! We will have no time for in class revision. I had one mock paper where they put the three topics we had studied at that tine together, I also got an A* which was reassuring to say the least!! Good luck for your coursework :smile: I am also taking Geography, Biology and Chemistry next year !! But I am doing Product Design instead of English Literature (Lord of the Flies and Purple Hibiscus are just killing me at the moment!).
Sophie :smile:
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sophie.howells
I am doing: Restless Earth, Water on the Land, Coastal Zone, Tourism, Changing Urban Environments and Globalisation. Wow, have you finished all of the topics already? We have half or Urbanisation and all of Globalisation left to do before last day on 12th May !! We will have no time for in class revision. I had one mock paper where they put the three topics we had studied at that tine together, I also got an A* which was reassuring to say the least!! Good luck for your coursework :smile: I am also taking Geography, Biology and Chemistry next year !! But I am doing Product Design instead of English Literature (Lord of the Flies and Purple Hibiscus are just killing me at the moment!).
Sophie :smile:

I'm doing the same topics as you for the exam (except for globalisation) so which topics do you do best and worst in?
Sadly I'm not doing geography for A level. I'm taking the 3 sciences and maths instead.
I got full marks last year
If you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:
Currently doing AS Geography :smile:
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by STUDYREVISE
Wow, that's very impressive! Well Done! :smile:

What were your revision techniques? HOW exactly did you revise and which method did you find most effective?

How are you finding AS geography? Is it a lot different to GCSE or is it okay?

Thank-you :smile:
Honestly, i find the best way to revise for anything is by using flash Cards. So i would write out notes then make flash cards and test yourself on a DAILY BASIS.This is great for geography as its about memorising facts and landforms.

At the moment, i am finding AS Geography great! Got full UMS in the mock and its virtually the same as Gcse
I'm doing the same topics as you for the exam (except for globalisation) so which topics do you do best and worst in?
Sadly I'm not doing geography for A level. I'm taking the 3 sciences and maths instead.

I definitely prefer physical geography so I tend to do better in coasts, restless earth and water modules. Generally though I find it hard to learn the case studies so I am currently typing them all up in my own words and laminating them. How about you?
Sophie
With the case studies I learn I tend to remember statistics on their own and then let the other parts come form logical association with previous points. It's a shame you didn't do tourism as the 3rd human topic - the case studies are easy.

An example of the case studies would be Japan Tsunami - First I'd give a quick definition of a tsunami.

. 1 million homes lost water
. 6 million lost electricity
. Near the entire population of the port village Sendai was killed
. Fear of meltdown in Fukushima Nuclear station because of sea water in cooling systems
. Stock market fell world wide
.After shock impeded search and rescue

I'd include those sorts of points and link them as primary and secondary effects.
I got 56/60 for my coursework.What's that in terms of UMS ?

Quick Reply

Latest