The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

Stranmillis offers

I've done my interview for Stranmillis and waiting on a reply, but I want to know this relatively early. At the minute, I'm sitting on ABB at AS. IF I get an offer from stran, it'll be based on AAB. IF I did get an offer, I'd like to firm it. But here's the thing - my only other options are in Scotland. If I firm it and put a Scottish insurance choice, and don't get into stran, I will have about two weeks to move country, find accommodation etc.

Basically, what I want to know is this: if I get ABB, am I likely to be rejected, or likely to be taken anyway? I've heard of people getting in with lower, and others who say they're strict about it. Honestly, I'm a bit stressed by the whole thing.

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

If it's Stran you really want to go to, I'd put it as my firm choice and try work your hardest for those grades! I know people who have missed their conditions for Stran by 1 grade or by a few % (if they've done the access course) and they still got accepted! With regards to Scotland, if it did happen and you didn't get into Stran, there will be loads of people on the same boat who have to organise a lot in two weeks. I've had friends who have done it, and they have had as good a uni experience as anyone else! As long as you keep an open mind and be prepared for that to happen, you should have no problem!
I interviewed for Stranmillis a few weeks ago too, do you know when we are expected to hear about offers?
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Reply 2
Original post by MrBrightside1
If it's Stran you really want to go to, I'd put it as my firm choice and try work your hardest for those grades! I know people who have missed their conditions for Stran by 1 grade or by a few % (if they've done the access course) and they still got accepted! With regards to Scotland, if it did happen and you didn't get into Stran, there will be loads of people on the same boat who have to organise a lot in two weeks. I've had friends who have done it, and they have had as good a uni experience as anyone else! As long as you keep an open mind and be prepared for that to happen, you should have no problem!
I interviewed for Stranmillis a few weeks ago too, do you know when we are expected to hear about offers?

Thanks, thats really good to hear :smile: as for when we're expected to hear, I'm unsure. I have two mates in the same position and they said it might be soon, but Stran themselves said it probably won't be til after February (though Glasgow told me April and got back to me in February...), and on the other hand I had an interview for Edinburgh on Thursday and spoke to this girl from Fermanagh and she said it mightn't be til late March :/
Reply 3
Original post by Gib1997
Thanks, thats really good to hear :smile: as for when we're expected to hear, I'm unsure. I have two mates in the same position and they said it might be soon, but Stran themselves said it probably won't be til after February (though Glasgow told me April and got back to me in February...), and on the other hand I had an interview for Edinburgh on Thursday and spoke to this girl from Fermanagh and she said it mightn't be til late March :/

Hi guys! Regarding the original post, I say put stran as your first and work for it! If that's where you want to go don't be put off by grades, because you could end up getting them and regretting it:smile:
On the open day I was talking to people who got accepted with a grade less- I've heard they are more lenient with male students and it really depends on average grades and available places as to whether they will accept lower but I'd say you have a good chance of getting the right grades if you set your mind to it!

In regards to reply, I had an interview for stranmillis early January and haven't heard anything, but generally I've heard hearing later is better than hearing sooner. One of my friends who had an interview the same day as me got rejected the other day so they've obviously started considering places at least!

Where else have you both applied?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had an interview for Stran early January too but haven't heard anything back, It's Either Stran or St Marys for me (and I'm applying with a Btec so i'm pretty much relying on an offer from Stran) but being so reliant on one offer is definitely making me much more nervous about it.
Just wondering what everyone else has heard about offers or if anyone could update when they get offers? I've seen on the site that march is usually when offers come in.
Reply 5
Original post by Elle.B
Hi guys! Regarding the original post, I say put stran as your first and work for it! If that's where you want to go don't be put off by grades, because you could end up getting them and regretting it:smile:
On the open day I was talking to people who got accepted with a grade less- I've heard they are more lenient with male students and it really depends on average grades and available places as to whether they will accept lower but I'd say you have a good chance of getting the right grades if you set your mind to it!

In regards to reply, I had an interview for stranmillis early January and haven't heard anything, but generally I've heard hearing later is better than hearing sooner. One of my friends who had an interview the same day as me got rejected the other day so they've obviously started considering places at least!

Where else have you both applied?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by student2312
I had an interview for Stran early January too but haven't heard anything back, It's Either Stran or St Marys for me (and I'm applying with a Btec so i'm pretty much relying on an offer from Stran) but being so reliant on one offer is definitely making me much more nervous about it.
Just wondering what everyone else has heard about offers or if anyone could update when they get offers? I've seen on the site that march is usually when offers come in.

That's good to hear, honestly not sure what my preference is at the minute, waiting to hear back from my remaining two. I have an offer from Strathclyde, waiting on a reply from Stran and Edinburgh, rejected from Glasgow (still a little bitter about that, was probably my first choice), and withdrew my application from Dundee (loooooooong story). My friend just messaged me, he got a rejection. We have two theories as to how they're dealing with it:
-Rejections first
-Alphabetical (his surname is before mine)

Alternatively I've heard
Reply 6
Sorry my ipad was being odd there. Alternatively I've heard that the definite offers and rejections go out first, then the maybes sit aside and will hear later.
Reply 7
Original post by Gib1997
Sorry my ipad was being odd there. Alternatively I've heard that the definite offers and rejections go out first, then the maybes sit aside and will hear later.

Alphabetical order is out, as I know people who have been rejected with surnames before and after mine.
I think the definite offer/rejection is most probable?
I'm honestly not too panicked, as if I don't get it I'm happy enough going to Northumbria or Stirling, which are my two current offers. (Withdrew from Glasgow, like your Dundee. . Long story!) And then applied for two in stran. But I wish I knew so I could make definite decisions and sort out accommodation etc!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's Stranmillis or St.Mary's for me, and I really want the Stran offer so I know what I'm doing in September - so anxious waiting on it! Do you know how your friends heard about their offers/rejections? Was it through UCAS or by post?
Reply 9
It's Stranmillis or St.Mary's for me, and I really want the Stran offer so I know what I'm doing in September - so anxious waiting on it! Do you know how your friends heard about their offers/rejections? Was it through UCAS or by post?

Both of mine heard through ucas only!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Don't be panicking about getting grades, especially if your interview went well. I got into Stran for the Primary course this year with 3Bs but I had a good interview. As for offers, they were still interviewing last week so for now they will only be giving definite rejections, I've heard tutors say it could be the end of March before everyone hears so don't be worrying too much.
I'm not sure I can take all this waiting, the nerves are killing me! The end of March seems so far away :eek:
Reply 12
I'm not sure I can take all this waiting, the nerves are killing me! The end of March seems so far away :eek:

No news is good news for the mknute anyway! At least we can take comfort in that:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Elle.B
No news is good news for the mknute anyway! At least we can take comfort in that:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Welp, got my rejection today. It stings, but ah well, always hated NI anyway.
Reply 14
Original post by Gib1997

That sucks to hear!):
Ah well, you're from NI then yeah? At least it'll be so much more exciting to go somewhere new and exciting :biggrin: To be honest even if by a miracle Stran accept me I think I'll still probably go over to england!
wherever you go will be great I'm sure!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gib1997

Oh I'm sorry to hear that, but at least you have your other offer, and it'll be really exciting moving away! If you don't mind me asking, what course was it you had applied for? Did Stran contact you through UCAS?
Reply 16
All my friends from school have got rejections so far this week from stranmillis and I'm the only one left which makes me so nervous :'(
Reply 17
Oh I'm sorry to hear that, but at least you have your other offer, and it'll be really exciting moving away! If you don't mind me asking, what course was it you had applied for? Did Stran contact you through UCAS?

Ah it's fine, I saw it coming to be honest, and aye, I like the idea of a blank slate :smile:
Reply 18
And it was primary education, and yeah through UCAS :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by C98
All my friends from school have got rejections so far this week from stranmillis and I'm the only one left which makes me so nervous :'(

Mate that's probably for the best, seems they're doing rejections first :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending