The Student Room Group

Boyfriend of 3 years broke up with me and I have to find a new place to live

I posted a few days ago, that my boyfriend of 3 years broke up with me.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3140999

TLDR; His reason was 'I don't see a future with you' and he gave me no hints, explanation, or even chat before that he was feeling this way. Absolutely shocked me since 1 hour earlier he was telling me our Valentine's Day plans.

That was on Wednesday, and he contacted me today saying he hopes I'm ok and asking if I have ideas for living arrangements. On Wednesday, he said one of the 2 of us should move out and I asked for some time to think about it. I rang him to discuss it and arrange a meeting for tomorrow, and he said either I can have the place (I can't do this because it'll just bring back memories of him) or he already found someone that I can swap with, one of his friends who is living in a professional houseshare.

I'm completely thrown by the speed and abruptness at which he's acting. He's 22, I'm 21, we have always been so honest with each other.

I'm so hurt that he broke up with me with no signs, couldn't even have the decency to tell me he was feeling this way when I accepted a job to be with him, under our joint conversation of living together next year. We talked about the future, so I don't know where this came from.

I feel like I got hit with everything. I lost my boyfriend, my best friend, I have to move house with no warning, I accepted a job in a place I have no friends because we talked about being together next year and planned on it. Not just me saying, both of us!

I'm seeing him tomorrow and I'm so scared. I want to ask him why and why he did it in such a way. Surely 3 years of an incredibly close relationship where we speak all day every day and share everything with each other deserves more?

Does anyone have any advice for tomorrow for me? Thank you in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Man, that's really really messed up....

No matter what happened between you holy crap, he should give you more time to find a proper place to live O_O Are you sure you guys dated for 3 years?
Reply 2
Original post by R Dragon
Are you sure you guys dated for 3 years?

Yes. Spent nearly every single day with each other since.
Reply 3
Could anyone give me any advice?
Have you been to CAB to find out your rights? You need time to think about your future and whether you want to get another job and move away.

You deserve a proper explanation from him too ...
Wtf is wrong with this guy? You really need to ask him why he's doing what he did.
I may see this from a very different point of view as others here.

Its tosh whats happened. Lets not get what I'm about to say twisted here.

But I don't think there should be any negativity towards the guy from people on this forum.

To go from speaking about valentines day plans to wanting a relationship of three years over within a couple of hours does not strike me as rational thoughts. Something is wrong with the logical processing there. From a mental health perspective something is wrong there and he needs some help.
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper

Original post by Sam Walters

Thanks for the replies. I agree, I need to know what happened. We always used to be so honest, and we've had much worse times helping each other through uni, and now he's been working for 5 months and I finished my second degree and got a job that I signed a contract for 6 days ago.

I rang him yesterday to say I'm going to be in London tomorrow, can we talk. He just asked why I was going to be there. He shouldn't be asking me why I have to go back to our house, I'm paying half the rent! He just sounded so... distant. And within the last few weeks/days we were talking about going out plans for the next few weeks, how we wanted to redecorate the flat, taking the train in to work together next year, going on holiday with his family... So where is this 'I can't see a future with you' thing coming from if he was just as much part of this discussion as me?

I don't think I would be able to live in that house without him, so my only choice is moving out and finding a new place. With random people, paying to change contracts and move all my stuff (a large vans' worth) again.

While he loses barely anything: he gets the house, he still gets to go out with his friends, I'm the one losing everything.
Reply 8
Ouch, he has certainly found someone else.
Original post by Anonymous
I posted a few days ago, that my boyfriend of 3 years broke up with me.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3140999

TLDR; His reason was 'I don't see a future with you' and he gave me no hints, explanation, or even chat before that he was feeling this way. Absolutely shocked me since 1 hour earlier he was telling me our Valentine's Day plans.

That was on Wednesday, and he contacted me today saying he hopes I'm ok and asking if I have ideas for living arrangements. On Wednesday, he said one of the 2 of us should move out and I asked for some time to think about it. I rang him to discuss it and arrange a meeting for tomorrow, and he said either I can have the place (I can't do this because it'll just bring back memories of him) or he already found someone that I can swap with, one of his friends who is living in a professional houseshare.

I'm completely thrown by the speed and abruptness at which he's acting. He's 22, I'm 21, we have always been so honest with each other.

I'm so hurt that he broke up with me with no signs, couldn't even have the decency to tell me he was feeling this way when I accepted a job to be with him, under our joint conversation of living together next year. We talked about the future, so I don't know where this came from.

I feel like I got hit with everything. I lost my boyfriend, my best friend, I have to move house with no warning, I accepted a job in a place I have no friends because we talked about being together next year and planned on it. Not just me saying, both of us!

I'm seeing him tomorrow and I'm so scared. I want to ask him why and why he did it in such a way. Surely 3 years of an incredibly close relationship where we speak all day every day and share everything with each other deserves more?

Does anyone have any advice for tomorrow for me? Thank you in advance.

And you didn't genuinely see it coming?

It sounds crap of him to have not brought up his doubts before you moved in together but there are so many other ways he could of 'ended things' which you would have liked much less.

He DID give you the choice to keep the flat and he leave saving you all that trouble you have stated.

Break ups suck, no matter, they are rarely truly mutual, so it's understandable how you;re feeling but yeah.

It's not exactly an easy conversation to have with a partner, "Oh hi dear, as it transpires I'm having some doubts about us, so I'm going to mention them and probably cause you to dump me there and then even though I'm not sure myself and I don;t want to worry you".

Maybe he was fine with things and only started having doubts after you had already moved/accepted that job, etc.

If he is up for a conversation that's great, if not try not to dwell on it too much. You've likely broken up with guys who you've had doubts about before you even mentioned them and it's easy to judge but almost everyone who has been dating has had ****ty break ups and problems, from the other side or of their own creation.

We're not perfect.

Sorry to hear about the break up of your relationship though and the seeming suddenness of it is shocking, so my sympathies, but try and take a little comfort it knowing it wasn't just some random instant whim on his part.

Chances are he hesitated to tell you out of a misguided desire to not hurt your feelings. Still silly but look at it this way, he was actually not wanting to hurt you.

That's something. *shrug*
Are you both named on the tenancy agreement? Are you named jointing e.g. "Claires Jones and Elliot Smith" or do you have separate tenancies? (latter is unlikely but possible)
Original post by jenkinsear
Are you both named on the tenancy agreement? Are you named jointing e.g. "Claires Jones and Elliot Smith" or do you have separate tenancies? (latter is unlikely but possible)

Yes, both our names on the agreement.
Did you say you're moving to London?
Not trying to justify his actions, but here's what might be a reason why it seemed so abrupt.

He may have been thinking about breaking up for a while, but he didn't know how to bring it up in conversations without wanting you to be really upset so he continued talking about the future and your plans etc until he could pluck up the courage to just end it completely.

Contrary to what it may seem like, he may have cared for you too much to put you in any pain before making a final decision on the break up; with how close you guys were, he may have understood how difficult it would be for you if he decided to discuss the break up so he decided to continue with the relationship as normal until he knew he was ready to fully commit to the break up.

Not sure how much sense this post makes as it's difficult to explain the feelings.
Talking from experience.

Hope you get through this okay.
OP, I went through something very similar last year. Same living arrangements and ex boyfriend broke up out of the blue with me. FWIW I was studying a master’s at Cambridge and stupidly busy and he was job searching for the period I was studying for my master’s. He got a job and was mighty pleased with himself and broke up with me ten days before my exams and thesis viva ha. I had to move out BEFORE my exams and somehow revise and pass those exams.

I was broken inside; I cried every single day for months, but I didn’t let him know what was going on. I moved out (thank goodness for friends who helped out), sat my exams, didn’t speak to him during the exam period and he didn’t bother to call me either, called him after my exams and he gave some half arsed responses. Anyway three days after the phone call, I called him to tell him it had been a good decision (we had been arguing a bit by the end mainly because he was getting closer to his friends, partying a lot and I don’t think his friends liked me) and said bye. I changed my number, cut contact and even though it was stupidly painful (cried for months, got depressed, etc., only my close friends and parents knew about this) I carried on with my life.

I don’t think he expected me to cut him out, I think he wanted to play with my feelings, possibly wanted me to beg a bit and/or chase him- I didn’t do either (in my book if someone doesn’t want me, I will not give them time of the day). Anyway I heard through some friends that all his crazy partying had reduced after about a month or so (when he realised I wasn’t going to bother to get back), and then the fun started. He started spreading lies about me telling people I had cheated, slept around, and used dating websites! I think he wanted me to react. I didn’t respond to anything, moved to another part of the country for my doctoral studies and totally cut him out of my life.

Now I have seriously no idea what he’s up to, but what did I gain from this experience:

1. Be your own person always. Never let someone else become your focus.
2. He was massively insecure because I was at Cambridge and he was unemployed much from a lower ranked university and for what it’s worth this didn’t bother me at all, but since he’d bring it up all the time, I was aware it was something he was affected by.
3. It’s important to take time out to be single, I haven’t dated because I have been busy and after being blindsided like that (he was looking at houses to move in together just three weeks before he broke up with me) I need some time out from dating/romance/drama haha. You learn a lot by focussing on yourself, you learn who’s really around for you and if I had to summarise in one sentence what I’ve learnt, it would be this: You never know what makes you happy, as interestingly, it is often the things that you think that don’t, that actually make you so.
4. Be thankful he broke up with you now. Imagine if he had got cold feet later on say if you had ended up with children and/or married! Short term pain is better than long term suffering : )
5. The best revenge is living your life well. So he’s decided he doesn’t want you, his loss (for what it is worth he sounds insecure and immature and influenced by his immature friends my ex was the same and the same age haha and I was the calmer, academic one). You sounds like a lovely girl, with your priorities in the right place, continue living your life well, eat healthy, exercise, spend time with your friends, don’t date as you don’t need more boy drama- just focus on making yourself feel whole again (it’s a wonderfully empowering feeling when you can feel whole and happy single I am finally there and you’ll get there too).
6. Please don’t bother checking up on his facebook, instagram, whatever silliness he puts out there- most of it will be fake and trying to portray a happy, busy life because well it’s not like social media is a true representation of one’s life. Think of it as a heavily edited view of one’s life. I would check up on him and it would set me back each time. The quicker you cut him out completely, the better it will be for you.
7. As for the questions ‘will he regret breaking up with me?’, ‘does he miss me?’, that will undoubtedly go through your mind- the answer to these questions will always remain unknown, but if you act with dignity and make a swift exit, you’ll thank yourself a couple of months down the line and will not give a moment’s thought to these questions (or the answers). The only question you need to ask right now is: how do I work on making myself feeling better, and the answer to that doesn’t involve him at all.

Chin up; you can do this, and since I was there recently, I’ll have you know that you’ll emerge such stronger and happier person, and someday you’ll be glad that an idiot like him left you and gave you the chance to live a better life :smile:

(Sorry for bad grammar and spelling mistakes written this on my phone and haha it’s turned out to be an essay)
Yes. Spent nearly every single day with each other since.

after 3 years why didnt you guys move to the next stage of the relationship, such as being engaged?
Reply 16
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1084324.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:18091993285|tsid:59156|cid:189934165|lid:96720974365|nw:g|crid:62780387245|rnd:856527934753477725|dvc:c|adp:1o1|bku:1
It happened to me before and I am the one who acted like your bf. For me, it was because of the difficult period in my life that I'm going through and that I wasn't happy in my relationship. I talked about it with my partner for months and he never really changed. I usually just felt really sad by myself as he was so horrible to me (in a way that he didn't think it was horrible) and he never made any actual effort to change (although he promised to). I got really really upset one day after a brilliant night out with him and broke up with him in a brutal way. We got back together now tho.
OP, I went through something very similar last year. Same living arrangements and ex boyfriend broke up out of the blue with me. FWIW I was studying a master’s at Cambridge and stupidly busy and he was job searching for the period I was studying for my master’s. He got a job and was mighty pleased with himself and broke up with me ten days before my exams and thesis viva ha. I had to move out BEFORE my exams and somehow revise and pass those exams.

I was broken inside; I cried every single day for months, but I didn’t let him know what was going on. I moved out (thank goodness for friends who helped out), sat my exams, didn’t speak to him during the exam period and he didn’t bother to call me either, called him after my exams and he gave some half arsed responses. Anyway three days after the phone call, I called him to tell him it had been a good decision (we had been arguing a bit by the end mainly because he was getting closer to his friends, partying a lot and I don’t think his friends liked me) and said bye. I changed my number, cut contact and even though it was stupidly painful (cried for months, got depressed, etc., only my close friends and parents knew about this) I carried on with my life.

I don’t think he expected me to cut him out, I think he wanted to play with my feelings, possibly wanted me to beg a bit and/or chase him- I didn’t do either (in my book if someone doesn’t want me, I will not give them time of the day). Anyway I heard through some friends that all his crazy partying had reduced after about a month or so (when he realised I wasn’t going to bother to get back), and then the fun started. He started spreading lies about me telling people I had cheated, slept around, and used dating websites! I think he wanted me to react. I didn’t respond to anything, moved to another part of the country for my doctoral studies and totally cut him out of my life.

Now I have seriously no idea what he’s up to, but what did I gain from this experience:

1. Be your own person always. Never let someone else become your focus.
2. He was massively insecure because I was at Cambridge and he was unemployed much from a lower ranked university and for what it’s worth this didn’t bother me at all, but since he’d bring it up all the time, I was aware it was something he was affected by.
3. It’s important to take time out to be single, I haven’t dated because I have been busy and after being blindsided like that (he was looking at houses to move in together just three weeks before he broke up with me) I need some time out from dating/romance/drama haha. You learn a lot by focussing on yourself, you learn who’s really around for you and if I had to summarise in one sentence what I’ve learnt, it would be this: You never know what makes you happy, as interestingly, it is often the things that you think that don’t, that actually make you so.
4. Be thankful he broke up with you now. Imagine if he had got cold feet later on say if you had ended up with children and/or married! Short term pain is better than long term suffering : )
5. The best revenge is living your life well. So he’s decided he doesn’t want you, his loss (for what it is worth he sounds insecure and immature and influenced by his immature friends my ex was the same and the same age haha and I was the calmer, academic one). You sounds like a lovely girl, with your priorities in the right place, continue living your life well, eat healthy, exercise, spend time with your friends, don’t date as you don’t need more boy drama- just focus on making yourself feel whole again (it’s a wonderfully empowering feeling when you can feel whole and happy single I am finally there and you’ll get there too).
6. Please don’t bother checking up on his facebook, instagram, whatever silliness he puts out there- most of it will be fake and trying to portray a happy, busy life because well it’s not like social media is a true representation of one’s life. Think of it as a heavily edited view of one’s life. I would check up on him and it would set me back each time. The quicker you cut him out completely, the better it will be for you.
7. As for the questions ‘will he regret breaking up with me?’, ‘does he miss me?’, that will undoubtedly go through your mind- the answer to these questions will always remain unknown, but if you act with dignity and make a swift exit, you’ll thank yourself a couple of months down the line and will not give a moment’s thought to these questions (or the answers). The only question you need to ask right now is: how do I work on making myself feeling better, and the answer to that doesn’t involve him at all.

Chin up; you can do this, and since I was there recently, I’ll have you know that you’ll emerge such stronger and happier person, and someday you’ll be glad that an idiot like him left you and gave you the chance to live a better life :smile:

(Sorry for bad grammar and spelling mistakes written this on my phone and haha it’s turned out to be an essay)

100% agree with all of this! Went through a somewhat similar thing and now i am so grateful for focusing on myself! The journey is real tough, but the end is incredible. Sure, the questions will be in your head, but imo they won't give you 'closure.' Closure is ending it. It has ended. Move on and better yourself. Anything he says has no relevant to your life anymore. Make sure you ask for support from anyone if you are close to them (you'll definitely see who your real friends are at a point like this). And don't be scared to 'lose friends' because you're going through stuff either; situations like this are God send for cutting out the people who you don't need in your life and focusing your love on those who do =)
Original post by LTG
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1084324.htm?CMPID=GS001&_$ja=cgid:18091993285|tsid:59156|cid:189934165|lid:96720974365|nw:g|crid:62780387245|rnd:856527934753477725|dvc:c|adp:1o1|bku:1

Ahahahaha hilarious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending