The Student Room Group

Two weeks till test, instructor bailed out on me

So I have two weeks till my first test. My instructor just left and won't back for a month. I've already made arrangements to go with a different instructor. I'm worried that I'll fail now because it's a completely new car. I'll have about 4 hours worth of lessons before then. What to do?
I'm still learning to drive, although I've used different cars, mine, both my parents cars and my instructors, you'll get use to using the new car really quickly, don't worry about it :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Envee
So I have two weeks till my first test. My instructor just left and won't back for a month. I've already made arrangements to go with a different instructor. I'm worried that I'll fail now because it's a completely new car. I'll have about 4 hours worth of lessons before then. What to do?

Don't be an idiot. Driving means you should be able to drive most cars with ease. Have some confidence man. You see 7 year olds driving in 3rd world countries to get supplies for their mothers, if they can do it, so can you.
Man up.
There are only 2 options:
1. See how you feel in the new car and decide whether or not you're willing to give it a go in the new car

2. Cancel the test while you cam still get your money back and reschedule for your instructors return from wherever he/she went.
4 hours is more than enough to get used to a new car :smile:
Original post by Envee

If after 2 lessons you aren't used to the car then move your test back or find another instructor with the same car as you learnt in. Another option is to just get more lessons in before your test so you get used to the new car
Original post by Envee

Your instructor really is a bit of douche for this.
Mine literally glorifies people he sits tests. He has them scheduled for weeks on end and sometimes I'll miss a week if he has to do any last minute test slots, has they're the most important. (And i get a chance to rest from Driving and get on with my dissi - so it's work in my favour too!)

I've had lessons in 3 different cars, but I was quite an unconfident driver then so I don't know if this will apply.
I think you do get used to a car. You learn were all the stuff is, how the clutch responds and how different cars respond to mph, like some cars you can change gear earlier or later than other models.
I found my biggest difficulty was getting used to the clutch control in different cars.
I've tried driving some friends/ my boyfriends car recently too in empty car parks and i've experienced the same.
I say if you're a good driver already - getting used to a new car should only take a few lessons, or find an instructor with a similar car.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending