The Student Room Group

Life change!

I don't recollect this subject having been debated on TSR before and certainly not in the three and a half years that I have been a member.

Would any of you consider making a radical change to your life?

It could be to change direction totally in career or living conditions/style.

It could be to uproot from familiar surroundings and go to live somewhere that is different to that which you are used to.

What challenges do you think you might face, would you welcome them and do you think you would be up to them?
I would, such as going to live in a totally different place like China or Moscow for a while, if I had the means to.
Apropos of nothing, I read somewhere that social class is best measured on the ability to enact change.
Reply 2
yawn
I don't recollect this subject having been debated on TSR before and certainly not in the three and a half years that I have been a member.

It could be to uproot from familiar surroundings and go to live somewhere that is different to that which you are used to.

What challenges do you think you might face, would you welcome them and do you think you would be up to them?

Yes. I make frequent life changes because I am easily bored by the status quo. I have the attention span of a goldfish.
Reply 3
No - I plan to not allow myself to get in a position where I believe I need to make such a dramatic change, career wise atleast.

I would live somewhere else, yes.
Reply 4
Would you consider a permanent move far away from your families e.g to the other side of the world? Is it a brave thing to do?

And if you would, what sort of consequences do you envisage this would have on your life?
Reply 5
Yes - I would, but considering I've been highly independent in that respect since about the age of eight, the notion doesn't phase me.

The consequence is dependent upon where I went - if I went to NZ I reckon I'd watch a lot more cricket and rugby, do more walking and visit many more volcanoes - so my life would be idyllic.
Reply 6
yawn

i think about this all the time, that i want to breakaway from my life and do something different. i get mad at myself for not doing anything, or some of the things i always dreamed of as a kid that i would do. i have the oppportunity to do it, but i do not. why? guess i am scared.

to answer your last questions, i would welcome them, i have no idea how i would handle them and i am afraid that i will not enjoy them fully cause i will compare them with my past life.
Reply 7
I recently made quite a large life change a few months ago. I was all set on starting a music degree, becoming a teacher. I had it all planned out for years. Then in March I decided to switch to politics, have a gap year, start again, and in the meantime move to Washington DC for 6 months, which is quite a big move for me! I was always the person who was going to stay close to home, whereas now I hope to do my postgrad in America and work in DC permanently. This time last year I could never have imagined doing this.

Yes it has been scary changing everything, at the moment the move is frankly terrifying age 19, but I welcome the challenge and the new experience. To be honest I think its going to be a bigger shock for my parents having their only child move so far away, so the biggest damage limitation will be for them.

Life changes happen when you least expect them, this certainly came as a suprise to me, and its taken a lot of convincing people that I could do the job I applied for, and most people still dont think Im up to it. However it will be a great experience, and one I may never have again.
Reply 8
Nah, I'm far too lazy and I enjoy complaining a great deal.
Reply 9
ice_cube
I recently made quite a large life change a few months ago. I was all set on starting a music degree, becoming a teacher. I had it all planned out for years. Then in March I decided to switch to politics, have a gap year, start again, and in the meantime move to Washington DC for 6 months, which is quite a big move for me! I was always the person who was going to stay close to home, whereas now I hope to do my postgrad in America and work in DC permanently. This time last year I could never have imagined doing this.

Yes it has been scary changing everything, at the moment the move is frankly terrifying age 19, but I welcome the challenge and the new experience. To be honest I think its going to be a bigger shock for my parents having their only child move so far away, so the biggest damage limitation will be for them.

Life changes happen when you least expect them, this certainly came as a suprise to me, and its taken a lot of convincing people that I could do the job I applied for, and most people still dont think Im up to it. However it will be a great experience, and one I may never have again.

What a fantastic story, ice_cube!

That is the way life should be lived, especially when young - if one can.

I wish you all the best in you future.

I'm sure your parents will quickly come to terms with their little girl not been so close to them. Why, they can do all sorts of spontaneous things themselves now they don't have to consider the effect on you. :wink:
yawn
What a fantastic story, ice_cube!

That is the way life should be lived, especially when young - if one can.

I wish you all the best in you future.

I'm sure your parents will quickly come to terms with their little girl not been so close to them. Why, they can do all sorts of spontaneous things themselves now they don't have to consider the effect on you. :wink:

Yes i would!
Reply 11
They are using it as an excuse to come to America for a couple of weeks to visit, so Im sure they will cope. I just cant believe after 6 months of planning its now only 6 weeks away....
Reply 12
yawn

I don't think I'd every want to make such a radical change as uprooting myself and living away from people I know.

But, I think I've made radical changes in the past. For example, I'd say that my decision to become a Christian was a pretty radical change (I don't want a debate on religion, but it's a damn good example).
Reply 13
phawkins1988
(I don't want a debate on religion, but it's a damn good example).

I'd say more an irrational change than radical...
Reply 14
Hmm. I moved from Australia to the UK about 18 months ago.

Top five challenges I faced were: having illusions shattered, learning what's acceptable in UK society, language (accents ARE tricky!), having to start my career again (a blessing in diguise) and making friends.

My social life has changed a heap. Whereas in Australia I was fairly happy to keep to myself, and see friends whenever - here I didn't have the luxury of friends from school. Now I barely have a weekend free, and I love it.
I've considered moving abroad but I don't think I would go through with it for many reasons.

I haven't started a career for real yet, I would consider changing careers- or moving in a different direction of I got bored with what I was doing because tis not worth being stuck if a crap job if you can help it.
Reply 16
Sometimes one can elicit change by 'baby' steps.

Since this is a Student forum I am thinking specifically of Erasmus' 'Year abroad' during undergraduate courses.

Once you have had the taste of something different, it can be conducive to motivating bigger changes - and with that, bigger challenges.
yawn

Yes, I would choose to change to a guy.

Seriously, yawn, you have to make your questions more specific :tongue:
Reply 18
Elmo The Blue Monster
Yes, I would choose to change to a guy.

Seriously, yawn, you have to make your questions more specific :tongue:

Why more specific?

To have a sex change is just as valid as any other life change, yes?

The thread was raised in the hope that we could share our thoughts on something as profound as a life change - and the courage it takes to make that change rather than remaining in our 'comfortable place.'

I would hope that members would respond in an innovative, mature and sensible manner...but remain resigned to the fact that for some, that is an impossible ask.
Reply 19
I'd love to have the guts to do something radical/ lifechanging, but I reckon I porbably never will- not a huge risk taker to be honest :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending