The Student Room Group

Open University credits transfer

Hi, does anyone know where there is a list of universities that will accept OU credits, assuming this even exists. I want to study history full time and I currently have 60 credits with the OU and iam doing another 60 right now. Any help appreciated. Thank guys.
Original post by james_stone
Hi, does anyone know where there is a list of universities that will accept OU credits, assuming this even exists. I want to study history full time and I currently have 60 credits with the OU and iam doing another 60 right now. Any help appreciated. Thank guys.

I'm afraid there is no list. You need to contact the universities you're interested in and ask them directly.

Most universities are likely to accept OU credits if they're in relevant subjects.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. I guess I will have to start emailing the relevant places.
I am studying with the open university (History). (I have completed Cert of HE) and I am on level 2 at moment with the OU. I have four offers (three offers are unconditional) and I am still waiting to hear from my fifth choice. However, each university looks at your open university modules and see if they match their history program. So they will expect you to start at year one.

Contact the University each one is different and most welcome mature students without the traditional qualifications. (I have A levels and an access course but got told they were too old)

Good luck!
If you have only done level 1 modules, most universities will expect you to start from the first year. I don't know of any university outside Scotland that is prepared to accept first-year OU students for transfer into the second year. But as others have said, you will have to research and phone around - you never know, there might be one, but don't get your hopes up. Are you prepared to redo the first year at a brick university?

Original post by PQ
Most universities are likely to accept OU credits if they're in relevant subjects.

Level 1 OU modules are quite broad, they are designed to give people a basic introduction into many different subjects. There is very little history covered in the Humanities level 1 modules, I'd be surprised if any history admissions tutor thought them transferable.
Original post by Snufkin
Level 1 OU modules are quite broad, they are designed to give people a basic introduction into many different subjects. There is very little history covered in the Humanities level 1 modules, I'd be surprised if any history admissions tutor thought them transferable.

I didn't read the OP to be saying they were looking to use the credits to transfer in - just as an alternative to A levels. In which case they're generally acceptable as long as the subjects are relevant.

Even with a CertHE (from any university) it's unlikely that a transfer into Yr 2 is an option - the necessary compatibility between courses is very rare...and with OU especially for humanities subjects as you say the interdisciplinary nature of the modules makes it very unlikely there would be direct compatibility with a straight history degree.
Original post by PQ
I didn't read the OP to be saying they were looking to use the credits to transfer in - just as an alternative to A levels. In which case they're generally acceptable as long as the subjects are relevant.

Even with a CertHE (from any university) it's unlikely that a transfer into Yr 2 is an option - the necessary compatibility between courses is very rare...and with OU especially for humanities subjects as you say the interdisciplinary nature of the modules makes it very unlikely there would be direct compatibility with a straight history degree.

Oh. I assumed the OP meant transferring into second year. I'm not sure why I thought that now that I re-read their post, it isn't very clear either way. Yes, you are right - the OP certainly can use OU credits in lieu of A levels to enter the first year of a degree (that's what I did).
Sorry if I was unclear, I was told if my OU modules copied what their degree programme, I could transfer into year 2 of a three year degree one university said I could if I wanted. Where as another university said no they preferred students to start in year one :-) Personally I want to start with year one!

Good luck.
Reply 8
Hi guys thanks for replying, can I ask ionabubble, could you say which universities offered you a place if that is not too private.
Thanks
Original post by james_stone
Hi guys thanks for replying, can I ask ionabubble, could you say which universities offered you a place if that is not too private.
Thanks

Can you please clarify, are you looking to transfer your OU credits and move into the second year of a degree, or do you plan on beginning again from the first year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending