The Student Room Group

The riot club

I watched this film a couple of weeks ago and I remain appalled with the behavior of some of the characters e.g how they pay people off and hate the working classes. I know its only fictional but are there really people who behave like this at Oxford? I know they get many ex-Etonians (I think that's the term) who come from very wealthy families, but there must be some truth in it. Either way it was refreshing to see rich people portrayed as ****holes for once whilst we are constantly bombarded with the demonization of those on benefits.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by em211997
I know its only fictional

Have you not answered your own question here?
I think you have to remove the Oxford context out of it to be honest. In all walks of life you are going to get people who abuse their money, position etc.
Clubs like this just don't exist in Oxford any more because the University would be the first people to throw them out, and the Colleges have become more savvy in fining the whole student body and not just individuals for unruly behaviour (like food fights) and when that happens you find you make enemies rather quickly and aren't in a hurry to repeat the offence.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by uniqsummer
Have you not answered your own question here?
I think you have to remove the Oxford context out of it to be honest. In all walks of life you are going to get people who abuse their money, position etc.
Clubs like this just don't exist in Oxford any more because the University would be the first people to throw them out, and the Colleges have become more savvy in fining the whole student body and not just individuals for unruly behaviour (like food fights) and when that happens you find you make enemies rather quickly and aren't in a hurry to repeat the offence.

Bullingdon is unofficial and probably still exists. Gridiron and Pitt clubs are at Oxford and Cambridge respectively.

Posted from TSR Mobile
*Sigh* not this again...

The Riot Club is an entirely fictitious, as you have already pointed out, and highly exaggerated portrayal of the Bullingdon Club. It aimed to satirise the wealthy at unis like Oxford, but in my opinion sadly failed as it has clearly only reinforced stereotypes of Oxbridge 'elite'.

Basically, 90% of Oxford students are nothing like that.
Reply 4
Original post by amberskye
*Sigh* not this again...

The Riot Club is an entirely fictitious, as you have already pointed out, and highly exaggerated portrayal of the Bullingdon Club. It aimed to satirise the wealthy at unis like Oxford, but in my opinion sadly failed as it has clearly only reinforced stereotypes of Oxbridge 'elite'.

Only 90%? :wink:

More like 99.9%

Same as IRL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
*Sigh* not this again...

Lol ok not this again . Have I read every post? Can you not just answer the question instead of being all high and mighty about it geez it was on my mind don't get at me for asking a question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
*Sigh* not this again...

To be honest it worked for me they all looked like spoilt *****bags the media demonizes the working classes all the time I think its refreshing to see the dark side of rich white men. :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
Only 90%? :wink:

More like 99.9%

Same as IRL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you know that? Not in a condescending way but do you have friends there or are you a student there I'm curious about the lifestyle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be honest it worked for me they all looked like spoilt *****bags the media demonizes the working classes all the time I think its refreshing to see the dark side of rich white men. :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you appear to have watched the film with an already judgemental mindset. Just as it is wrong for the media to show lower classes in an unfair way, it is also just as wrong for higher classes to be portrayed in an inaccurate way.

How do you know that? Not in a condescending way but do you have friends there or are you a student there I'm curious about the lifestyle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know you weren't asking me, but I have a sibling at Oxford and we come from a working class background. Don't judge until you know.
Reply 9
*Sigh* not this again...

And also I don't think its entirely fictitious. The wealthy can afford to get lawyers who manipulate the system like in the film and still have a decent job whilst having a criminal record. Think of mike Tyson who went to prison for raping a woman for only FIVE years when any normal person would've gotten life. I'm just saying there can be truth in fiction, consider books like the help and even oliver twist. You can't tell me that some of the stories are based on true events. The writer of Posh (the play the riot club is based) on didn't just pull the story out of her ar** did she?

Posted from TSR Mobile
And also I don't think its entirely fictitious. The wealthy can afford to get lawyers who manipulate the system like in the film and still have a decent job whilst having a criminal record. Think of mike Tyson who went to prison for raping a woman for only FIVE years when any normal person would've gotten life. I'm just saying there can be truth in fiction, consider books like the help and even oliver twist. You can't tell me that some of the stories are based on true events. The writer of Posh (the play the riot club is based) on didn't just pull the story out of her ar** did she?

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rolleyes:

So now you're also disrespecting and stereotyping lawyers. Mike Tyson is in the public eye, so I don't think he's a fair comparison to a wealthy student. Yes, some of The Riot Club is based on truth, but truth is exaggerated to encompass a larger proportion of what was the original truth. Maybe Posh was written by someone who held these stereotypes? Idk, I know nothing about her.
Reply 11
:rolleyes:

So now you're also disrespecting and stereotyping lawyers. Mike Tyson is in the public eye, so I don't think he's a fair comparison to a wealthy student. Yes, some of The Riot Club is based on truth, but truth is exaggerated to encompass a larger proportion of what was the original truth. Maybe Posh was written by someone who held these stereotypes? Idk, I know nothing about her.

They haven't done anything to earn my respect so I can say what I want about lawyers thanks :hand:they are in no way above my scrutiny. With mike Tyson it's still an example of wealth meaning your above the law it happens with politicians all the time. People are so quick to judge those on benefits when the elite meddle with the system just as much (perhaps even more) with larger quantities of money. Either way I loved the film but despised the characters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The writer of Posh (the play the riot club is based) on didn't just pull the story out of her ar** did she?

Yeah exactly.

Just like James Bond is what being a spy is like and The Hulk represents everyday life for your average scientist.
(edited 9 years ago)
There are elements of reality to the film and I've no doubt those kinds of people do exist but we should be careful not to generalise and stoke the flames of class warfare.
I thought this was a terrible film.
Reply 15
Original post by nexttime
Yeah exactly.

Just like James Bond is what being a spot is like and The Hulk represents everyday life for your average scientist.

well obviously in those cases no but if you do your research you'll find that the club is loosely based on the Bullingdon club of which David Cameron and Boris Johnson were members.
Reply 16
Original post by RayApparently
There are elements of reality to the film and I've no doubt those kinds of people do exist but we should be careful not to generalise and stoke the flames of class warfare.

No definitely not because the elite are the real victims.
Reply 17
Original post by Captain Jack
I thought this was a terrible film.

I loved it.... Sam Claflin was brilliant in it. He's nothing like that in real life he's just your average joe.
Original post by nexttime
Yeah exactly.

Just like James Bond is what being a spot is like and The Hulk represents everyday life for your average scientist.

:s-smilie:
No definitely not because the elite are the real victims.

Excuse me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending