The Student Room Group

The riot club

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by RayApparently
Excuse me?

My apologies I didn't read your comment properly I'm watching eastenders.
Original post by em211997
My apologies I didn't read your comment properly I'm watching eastenders.

Oh lol
Reply 22
Original post by RayApparently
Oh lol

but now that i've re read it I agree with what you see say but it was cool to see the dark side of the rich white man so candidly.
Original post by em211997
but now that i've re read it I agree with what you see say but it was cool to see the dark side of the rich white man so candidly.

Yep, I found the film very compelling.
Original post by jneill
Bullingdon is unofficial and probably still exists. Gridiron and Pitt clubs are at Oxford and Cambridge respectively.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bullingdon is still going, but it's far less active and prestigious than it once was apparently. I knew a German aristocrat via drama who was asked if he wanted to join and he didn't hesitate in laughing his head off at them, and apparently that's quite a common response.
Original post by jenkinsear
Bullingdon is still going, but it's far less active and prestigious than it once was apparently. I knew a German aristocrat via drama who was asked if he wanted to join and he didn't hesitate in laughing his head off at them, and apparently that's quite a common response.

The Buller never was totally out of the top draw. The year Boris went up so did Charles Spencer, Count Bismark and Prince Hiro of Japan, none of whom joined.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nulli tertius
The Buller never was totally out of the top draw. The year Boris went up so did Charles Spencer, Count Bismark and Prince Hiro of Japan, none of whom joined.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bismark went for Piers Gaveston I believe? They are most certainly still going- took to pidging anyone they deemed attractive and "sexually liberal" enough invites to a sordid little night in a country mansion in my time.
Reply 27
Original post by jenkinsear
Bismark went for Piers Gaveston I believe? They are most certainly still going- took to pidging anyone they deemed attractive and "sexually liberal" enough invites to a sordid little night in a country mansion in my time.

For those interested:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piers_Gaveston_Society

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Its like those aristocrats at oxford who rioted and destroyed ancient greek sculpture. The pure ignorance of it all. Shameless.
Original post by Paladian
Its like those aristocrats at oxford who rioted and destroyed ancient greek sculpture. The pure ignorance of it all. Shameless.

What riot? What ancient Greek sculpture?

Could we manage a date? Could we even manage a century for when this riot supposedly took place? I am pretty good on Oxford riots and this one is a new one on me.
(edited 9 years ago)
What riot? What ancient Greek sculpture?

Oh it was just something I read years ago it happened sometime in either the 18th or 19th c. Back in the days when all you had to do to get a degree was translate some ancient greek. :tongue:

What does null tertius mean? -If you don't mind me asking.

I think it was the 19th

It might not have actually said riot in the book but they were aristocrats they were at oxford and they definitely destroyed ancient greek sculpture - busts I think.
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh it was just something I read years ago it happened sometime in either the 18th or 19th c. Back in the days when all you had to do to get a degree was translate some ancient greek. :tongue:

What does null tertius mean? -If you don't mind me asking.

I think it was the 19th

It might not have actually said riot in the book but they were aristocrats they were at oxford and they definitely destroyed ancient greek sculpture - busts I think.

It is not an incident that seems to have come down in history. I am not aware of it and can't seem to Google it.

18th and 19th century riots in Oxford tended to be over the prices of provisions in the town.

It is unlikely to be aristocratic rioting until after 1850. You are reading back the way Hooray Henries live now into the past.
It is not an incident that seems to have come down in history. I am not aware of it and can't seem to Google it.

18th and 19th century riots in Oxford tended to be over the prices of provisions in the town.

It is unlikely to be aristocratic rioting until after 1850. You are reading back the way Hooray Henries live now into the past.

I read about it in a book not all books are on google it could well have been after 1850 and I was just shocked at how little education one received and how barbaric students could be in those days. It just stuck in my head I'll see if I can find the book and if I do I'll quote it for you. Incidentally the riot act was read on numerous occasions to schoolboys during the eighteenth cent. So it's not surprising it would be used against students.
I read about it in a book not all books are on google it could well have been after 1850 and I was just shocked at how little education one received and how barbaric students could be in those days. It just stuck in my head I'll see if I can find the book and if I do I'll quote it for you. Incidentally the riot act was read on numerous occasions to schoolboys during the eighteenth cent. So it's not surprising it would be used against students.

Again you are reading back too much of the 21st century.

The idea that most people who went to universities took degrees is modern.

The idea that true aristocrats went to school is modern.

The idea that Oxford is a solely collegiate university is modern.

The rioting public schoolboys of the 18th and early 19th century are mostly the children of country squires, parsons, lawyers and merchants. Aristocrats are being educated at home by their (clerical) tutors and governors and when they go to Oxford, they take them with them.
Again you are reading back too much of the 21st century.

The idea that most people who went to universities took degrees is modern.

The idea that true aristocrats went to school is modern.

The idea that Oxford is a solely collegiate university is modern.

The rioting public schoolboys of the 18th and early 19th century are mostly the children of country squires, parsons, lawyers and merchants. Aristocrats are being educated at home by their (clerical) tutors and governors and when they go to Oxford, they take them with them.

No I'm not I was reading a book years ago one I had little interest in then as I do now. Aristocrats went to oxford aristocrats took degrees and aristocrats destroyed greek sculpture that's what the book said so that's what I relayed to you. I'm not professing to be a scholar on what aristocrats did at oxford I'm just saying the similarities between the book I read, what it said and what the riot club is about are quite clear, to me anyway.

You seem more interested in winning an argument than the truth.
(edited 9 years ago)
No I'm not I was reading a book years ago one I had little interest in then as I do now. Aristocrats went to oxford aristocrats matriculated and aristocrats destroyed greek sculpture that's what the book said so that's what I relayed to you. I'm not professing to be a scholar on what aristocrats did at oxford I'm just saying the similarities between the book I read, what it said and what the riot club is about are quite clear, to me anyway.

You seem more interested in winning an argument than the truth.

Sorry, I am not trying to score points.

It has taken some finding. The riot you are referring to is the Christ Church Library Riot of 1870

This is one of the three men sent down over it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Marjoribanks,_2nd_Baron_Tweedmouth

It was a protest about the sacking of a porter.
Sorry, I am not trying to score points.

It has taken some finding. The riot you are referring to is the Christ Church Library Riot of 1870

This is one of the three men sent down over it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Marjoribanks,_2nd_Baron_Tweedmouth

It was a protest about the sacking of a porter.

From what I could find it says the greek sculpture was stolen not smashed.
The book I read is probably in my attic I'll find it when I move in a couple of weeks time.
From what I could find it says the greek sculpture was stolen not smashed.
The book I read is probably in my attic I'll find it when I move in a couple of weeks time.

The statues were placed in a circle in Peckwater Quad and a bonfire set in the middle of them that damaged some of them. I wasn't aware of the involvement of the statues. I am sure this is the incident you are referring to. There are three major periods of late 19th century lawlessness 1865-70, 1879-80 and 1893-4 and the Christ Church Library Riot is the culmination of the first. The rustication of Univ ends the second and the smashing of the the Peckwater windows and banning of the Bullingdon Club ends the third.
The statues were placed in a circle in Peckwater Quad and a bonfire set in the middle of them that damaged some of them. I wasn't aware of the involvement of the statues. I am sure this is the incident you are referring to. There are three major periods of late 19th century lawlessness 1865-70, 1879-80 and 1893-4 and the Christ Church Library Riot is the culmination of the first. The rustication of Univ ends the second and the smashing of the the Peckwater windows and banning of the Bullingdon Club ends the third.

That's interesting it sounds like you're right. What's the rustication of University? Funny the Bullingdon club was banned, what for?
That's interesting it sounds like you're right. What's the rustication of University? Funny the Bullingdon club was banned, what for?

Making all of the students of University College go home unless the culprit of a minor (and mildly funny) student prank owned up.

Smashing all of the windows in Peckwater Quad at Christ Church. They did it again in 1927.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending