The Student Room Group

Honest opinion about the IB?

I finish the IB in May (thank the heavens) and I'm really interested in hearing other people's opinions about whether you regret/you're glad that you did the IB? Or like myself, your school only offers IB so you didn't really have any choice?

Furthermore, would you recommend the IB to others? I say no. You end up getting the same uni opportunities as everyone else (despite the IB's selling point being that you get priority when applying to uni - that is BS), as well as being forced to take 6 subjects - and if you suck at maths and science like myself, you have to work even harder.

Let me know your thoughts!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not really sure if I regret taking the IB because I don't know what A levels would be like. I finish IB in May as well and am sure as hell glad that I don't have to do it ever again because it's been so exhausting. My school only offers IB as well and I didn't want to move schools to do A levels but I wish I had experienced A levels because it seems SO much easier than IB.

I wouldn't recommend IB because you just get extra stress and EE + TOK are just useless, apart from the fact that you learn how to write good essays. I hear people in year 11 saying "I can't wait to start IB, it seems so interesting" and I'm just like, noooooooo don't do it, it's a trap. The school makes it seem like it's amazing but it's really not. I wish I hadn't taken French + computer science because they're going to bring my overall IB score down. :frown:
Original post by Kangie
I'm not really sure if I regret taking the IB because I don't know what A levels would be like. I finish IB in May as well and am sure as hell glad that I don't have to do it ever again because it's been so exhausting. My school only offers IB as well and I didn't want to move schools to do A levels but I wish I had experienced A levels because it seems SO much easier than IB.

I wouldn't recommend IB because you just get extra stress and EE + TOK are just useless, apart from the fact that you learn how to write good essays. I hear people in year 11 saying "I can't wait to start IB, it seems so interesting" and I'm just like, noooooooo don't do it, it's a trap. The school makes it seem like it's amazing but it's really not. I wish I hadn't taken French + computer science because they're going to bring my overall IB score down. :frown:

So glad we have the same opinion! It really brings my overall score down (I suck at maths and science, and that brings down my score) and it's annoying because I could have done A-Levels and gotten amazing grades because you only have to do 3 subjects! I hear people complaining about A-Levels and it gets me so so angry - the work you have to do in IB should not be legal. The IB is essentially just another business, and nothing else. In the end we get the same opportunities as students who have done other programs. If I could chose again, I would do A-Levels. Good luck to you - we only have a few months left! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by babypalmtreee
So glad we have the same opinion! It really brings my overall score down (I suck at maths and science, and that brings down my score) and it's annoying because I could have done A-Levels and gotten amazing grades because you only have to do 3 subjects! I hear people complaining about A-Levels and it gets me so so angry - the work you have to do in IB should not be legal. The IB is essentially just another business, and nothing else. In the end we get the same opportunities as students who have done other programs. If I could chose again, I would do A-Levels. Good luck to you - we only have a few months left! :smile:

One girl who used to be in my year moved to another school because IB was too much for her and she says that A levels are so much better - e.g. she was getting 4s in chemistry but now she's getting As. I know omfg - people doing A levels should NOT be allowed to complain because if they knew what we are going through... it's so damn annoying. Good luck to you too :smile: We will survive!
Reply 4
I finished the IB last year. Like you, my school only offered the IB so I didn't have any choice (other than changing schools but even that would be troublesome as I didn't have GCSEs). I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, especially if they're thinking of applying to UK universities.

No-one cares about CAS, TOK, or the EE, and yet you have to do well in them to get the diploma and hopefully some bonus points. As a maths/science person, having to do text commentaries in two Language A courses was absolutely terrible, as was the essay writing in Economics.

Also, the fact that HL Maths has an internally assessed component worth 20% of the final grade (and my examination session was the first one with the new exploration) meant 20% of my grade depended on whether I could find something interesting to "explore" (whatever that meant to the IB) half way through my first year, when I hadn't even started calculus or statistics or any of the useful stuff. I just don't get why almost every subject has to have a writing-based IA.

And all those comments about how the IB makes you a more well-rounded person and unis love well-rounded people are complete lies. For example, if you're applying for Computer Science as I was, universities just don't care about any subject other than HL Maths, and yet give you offers conditional on the total number of points which means you have to do well in all your subjects. And some unis have outrageous requirements for IB when compared with the A-Level offer.

I wouldn't be so quick on assuming A-Levels are easier though, as I haven't experienced them. But at least I wouldn't have had to deal with humanities subjects and the "diploma core" BS.

Thankfully it's all over and I got into my first choice university, but only after some very stressful months.
/rant
Original post by Skye25
I finished the IB last year. Like you, my school only offered the IB so I didn't have any choice (other than changing schools but even that would be troublesome as I didn't have GCSEs). I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, especially if they're thinking of applying to UK universities.

No-one cares about CAS, TOK, or the EE, and yet you have to do well in them to get the diploma and hopefully some bonus points. As a maths/science person, having to do text commentaries in two Language A courses was absolutely terrible, as was the essay writing in Economics.

Also, the fact that HL Maths has an internally assessed component worth 20% of the final grade (and my examination session was the first one with the new exploration) meant 20% of my grade depended on whether I could find something interesting to "explore" (whatever that meant to the IB) half way through my first year, when I hadn't even started calculus or statistics or any of the useful stuff. I just don't get why almost every subject has to have a writing-based IA.

And all those comments about how the IB makes you a more well-rounded person and unis love well-rounded people are complete lies. For example, if you're applying for Computer Science as I was, universities just don't care about any subject other than HL Maths, and yet give you offers conditional on the total number of points which means you have to do well in all your subjects. And some unis have outrageous requirements for IB when compared with the A-Level offer.

I wouldn't be so quick on assuming A-Levels are easier though, as I haven't experienced them. But at least I wouldn't have had to deal with humanities subjects and the "diploma core" BS.

Thankfully it's all over and I got into my first choice university, but only after some very stressful months.
/rant

First of all! Congratulations! And in terms of the difficulties of A-Levels, it is true - I have a friend who only has to go to school for max 2 hours a day for 4 days and she takes Science A-Levels. I agree with you about how it's not relevant to UK unis - I'm fortunate enough to have got into my first choice uni but NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THE IB IS. And it angers me so much that I worked my ass off for nothing really. Great to hear your opinion - thanks for commenting!
Reply 6
First of all! Congratulations! And in terms of the difficulties of A-Levels, it is true - I have a friend who only has to go to school for max 2 hours a day for 4 days and she takes Science A-Levels.

:eek: seriously? I assume that is not usual... is it? :s-smilie:

I agree with you about how it's not relevant to UK unis - I'm fortunate enough to have got into my first choice uni but NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THE IB IS. And it angers me so much that I worked my ass off for nothing really.

Yes, I don't think many UK unis completely understand some aspects of the IB, even something as simple as the difference between Language A and Language B - a 5 in English A is not equal to a 5 in English B!

Great to hear your opinion - thanks for commenting!

No problem, and good luck in your exams! In just 3 months it'll be all over :tongue:
Reply 7
I completely regret taking IB! My school recently changed to be an all IB school and on the first day of year 12 I went to an a levels school and hated it so I moved back to my school to take IB... biggest mistake of my life.

Its unbelievable stress and I think about 102% of my year group have developed some kind of mental illness or other in the past 2 years of IB.. thank god theres only 3 months left! The school places so much pressure on us to keep up their averages and the amount of coursework that is due all at the same time is unbelievable, honestly its killing me. I have no social life and my happiness is completely dependant on how much work I have to do... I'm not even looking forward to my 18th birthday in two weeks because i have my TOK presentation just before... honestly IB is two years of hell.

On the other hand I have all 5 of my university offers which is good but I think taking alevels would've given me the same chances.
Reply 8
Pretentious and unnecessary. My school only offers IB and anyone that wanted to do A-Levels pretty much had to go to boarding school in the UK or homeschool. It is a lot harder than A-Levels but you might as well be doing them for all Unis care.

You end up doing so much work that goes unrecognized like the 'core', yet if you don't do it you aren't recognized at all for your work in your other 6 subjects.

I'm around 6 months in and it's not so bad yet, but I'm dreading the TOK+EE and Eng Lit is going to drag my score down a ridiculous amount, I'm not even sure I can get a 5 the way things are going now.

Or like myself, your school only offers IB so you didn't really have any choice?

me too T_T

You end up getting the same uni opportunities as everyone else (despite the IB's selling point being that you get priority when applying to uni - that is BS), as well as being forced to take 6 subjects - and if you suck at maths and science like myself, you have to work even harder.

Let me know your thoughts!

YES! and it sucks more because people say taking A-levels is actually ADVANTAGEOUS over the people who do IB, if you want to study uni in UK (which I want to do). I also suck at maths and science, and Chinese as well, but at least I'm taking Math Studies instead of SL.
Original post by fabulois
I completely regret taking IB! My school recently changed to be an all IB school and on the first day of year 12 I went to an a levels school and hated it so I moved back to my school to take IB... biggest mistake of my life.

Its unbelievable stress and I think about 102% of my year group have developed some kind of mental illness or other in the past 2 years of IB.. thank god theres only 3 months left! The school places so much pressure on us to keep up their averages and the amount of coursework that is due all at the same time is unbelievable, honestly its killing me. I have no social life and my happiness is completely dependant on how much work I have to do... I'm not even looking forward to my 18th birthday in two weeks because i have my TOK presentation just before... honestly IB is two years of hell.

On the other hand I have all 5 of my university offers which is good but I think taking alevels would've given me the same chances.

Yes, yes and yes! I'm sorry about the TOK presentation - I did it in October and trust me its not too bad! Happy early 18th birthday though! We're almost done!!!
Original post by CYsuxx
Pretentious and unnecessary. My school only offers IB and anyone that wanted to do A-Levels pretty much had to go to boarding school in the UK or homeschool. It is a lot harder than A-Levels but you might as well be doing them for all Unis care.

You end up doing so much work that goes unrecognized like the 'core', yet if you don't do it you aren't recognized at all for your work in your other 6 subjects.

I'm around 6 months in and it's not so bad yet, but I'm dreading the TOK+EE and Eng Lit is going to drag my score down a ridiculous amount, I'm not even sure I can get a 5 the way things are going now.

Good luck! It only gets harder from there, I'm sorry to say :frown: the EE is not as bad as you except it to be! We will power through!!!!
I currently take IB in Australia and am in my second year. I don't regret taking IB; it is so much better than the alternative system in my city, and I feel like I have furthered my education so much more.

That being said, it is an insane amount of work. Out of the 150 people in my grade 24 take IB, the largest IB cohort my school has ever had. The year above us had 6 and below us has 15. for this reason we often have to compromise and miss out on things our peers get to do because we have to do IB things.

The thing I regret the most is my subject choice. Due to the time tabling at school we all missed out on doing subjects we wanted, and as for me who chose 2 HL sciences I've realised I enjoy and am better at humanities. Oh well, it's a learning experience I suppose. 9 months to go!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
The main thing that annoys me is that IB is SO underrated in terms of university applications etc. !! People say that A-levels are "far more in depth" than IB subjects so although they do less subjects they do roughly the same amount of work. Well I'm sure I don't need to prove it to you guys that this simply isn't true - especially for higher level subjects, which are (at least!) on par with A level subjects in terms of course content. Alas, the top universities ask for a 7, 6, 6 at HL assuming that its the same thing as A*, A, A...
Reply 14
Im about to finish the IB in may to, and im kinda conflicted as to how I feel about it. On the one hand, with the IB you get heaps of work in all your subjects. This is compounded by the work for the core components, the importance of which is way overemphasised.

On the other hand, the IB is objectively a better education system than A levels. The grade inflation is negligible which means that you're diploma will still be worth something in a few years, and the course forces you to learn more and about more subjects than A levels does.

So I guess i'd say im happy that I did the IB, but but also bloody relieved that it's almost over.
Reply 15
Original post by Kangie
One girl who used to be in my year moved to another school because IB was too much for her and she says that A levels are so much better - e.g. she was getting 4s in chemistry but now she's getting As. I know omfg - people doing A levels should NOT be allowed to complain because if they knew what we are going through... it's so damn annoying. Good luck to you too :smile: We will survive!

Yes! Also, people who complain in their AP (in the US) don't know the perils of what we go through... finishing my diploma in May and I seriously just cannot wait to end it. Also, I wish I had taken A Levels without the hassle of CAS and TOK.
Very interesting views. I was considering doing IB a couple of years back, as it sounded amazing. I guess the work is crazy, and I probably would have been done in, considering I failed by AS levels in the first year.
Like many people on this thread, my school only offers IB. I wanted to do A Levels, but there's only one school in my city that offers A Levels but the standard isn't too great and my school is better so I had to stick with it.

While I don't hate IB, I don't particularly love it either. I would have preferred not doing subjects such as maths and a science but I don't mind them. I do mind having to do a language as I've never been a good linguist and have always struggled in languages. The only subject dragging my overall points right now is French, but I'm still in my first year (coming to an end now) - still time to improve I hope!

However, what I've heard from a lot of graduates from our school is that IB is really good preparation for university, they say they seem better prepared and able to do the tasks than other students who did A Levels or other certificates. I don't know how true this is, but considering I want to go into either Law or English and both degrees would require a lot of essay work, I think the Extended Essay component may be a little helpful?

ToK is really pointless though, we don't really do anything in class and it just annoys me how if you fail ToK, you fail the whole diploma. I don't understand why it has so much weight compared to everything else?

I also hate CAS. I don't mind doing the hours but having to write reflections just kills me honestly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hmmm, IB is.... Well, I absolutely gafes it around 2 montes ago, when I had my IAs for very subjetivo due, plus my EE And my TOK. Now though, after that very stressful Period, I don't love the IB but don't completely despise it either. Probably would choose to do it again if given the choice. I do agree though that it's an abusive amount of work, and that you miss out on a lot of things. Especially in my school, where we are the minority, so there's not only an "IB reputation", which in itself is bloody annoying, but also sometimes the teachers, or rather, school, does not prioritise us.
I think, in 2/3/50 years time I'll appreciate it more, and look back in time with some kind of fondness, but now I just want to get it over and done with. 1 month to exams!!. But I'm certain, beyond any level of doubt, that when I finish in just under 2 months, I'll appreciate it wayyyyyyyy more then all the A-level bunch.
Reply 19
Heyo,
I am also finishing IB in May and you literally have no idea how excited I am..My school only offers IB, and not that many subjects as well.. But unlike what I'm mostly reading, I found the IB to be pretty useful in terms of writing and research skills, as well as time management. I think the material I have to study, primarily HL Bio, is so challenging that it really does force you to think and better yourself. BUT. The workload is inhumane, the EE and TOK are pointless, and on a general front - the IB will not help you getting into university anymore than someone presenting A Levels. So many universities don't even understand the program and give offers of high 30s and low 40s for all of their courses because they don't get it. My school does give us amazing opportunities though, and we're only a senior class of 20 kids so we get a lot of attention from great teachers. The two years have been so challenging that Im not even nervous anymore for the exams..

Quick Reply

Latest