The Student Room Group

Studying law at Oxford with only 1 A*, 11 As and 1 B atGCSE

Hello everyone,

I am in year 12, studying As Maths, Physics, History and Geography. Also studying Ab Initio Russian. I currently attend a selective Grammar school sixth form, however I studied my GCSEs at a normal comprehensive school where only 60% of the year group achieved 5 A*-C grades. I achieved 1 A*, 11 As and 1 B at GCSE, the A* in maths and the B in English language. I am predicted 3As and a B at AS, and am hoping for A*AAB at A2 I am very much interested in studying Law at Oxford university, would I still stand a chance bearing in mind my low GCSE grades?
Thank you.
I know someone that got into Oxford with 2A*s and 9As for GCSE so you have a chance but it's going be competitive.
Reply 2
Original post by Raymat
I know someone that got into Oxford with 2A*s and 9As for GCSE so you have a chance but it's going be competitive.

Thank you very much!!!
Reply 3
Universities that use GCSE grades as a means of assessment usually look at the context in which they were achieved. If, for example, someone achieved 10A* and an A in a high achieving, selective grammar school, that might be equally as impressive as someone who achieved 1A* in an underperforming school, such as yourself.

I wouldn't worry too much about your GCSEs, if you do well in other ways (AS levels, admissions tests, interview) they won't be a make-or-break factor. Oxford assumes a holistic admissions methodology, so they look at as much data as they can.
Reply 4
Original post by Kid B
Universities that use GCSE grades as a means of assessment usually look at the context in which they were achieved. If, for example, someone achieved 10A* and an A in a high achieving, selective grammar school, that might be equally as impressive as someone who achieved 1A* in an underperforming school, such as yourself.

I wouldn't worry too much about your GCSEs, if you do well in other ways (AS levels, admissions tests, interview) they won't be a make-or-break factor. Oxford assumes a holistic admissions methodology, so they look at as much data as they can.

Thank you!!
Reply 5
60% 5 A*-C is actually higher than the national average, I'm afraid so I don't think you will able to necessarily say it's all context. Obviously, you will be compared contextually against a privately educated student, but 60% is actually good for a state school (it's much better than mine lol). Generally, people say go for oxford if you have good gcses, but if you are able to get 85-90+ on UMS AS levels, for your 3 best subjects (for law) then you should consider applying to cambridge. They really aren't that different, just cambridge puts a lot of emphasis on UMS, whilst oxford doesn't even ask for them, and focuses ion GCSEs. I'm not saying don't apply to oxford, just think about it carefully, and if you might wanna try at cambridge which might give you more of a chance.
Reply 6
Original post by Mia1001
60% 5 A*-C is actually higher than the national average, I'm afraid so I don't think you will able to necessarily say it's all context. Obviously, you will be compared contextually against a privately educated student, but 60% is actually good for a state school (it's much better than mine lol). Generally, people say go for oxford if you have good gcses, but if you are able to get 85-90+ on UMS AS levels, for your 3 best subjects (for law) then you should consider applying to cambridge. They really aren't that different, just cambridge puts a lot of emphasis on UMS, whilst oxford doesn't even ask for them, and focuses ion GCSEs. I'm not saying don't apply to oxford, just think about it carefully, and if you might wanna try at cambridge which might give you more of a chance.

Thank you! I will take this into consideration :smile: I just looked on my old school website, and actually the 5A*-C percentage was only 53.2% Is this below the national average?
Reply 7
Original post by eajeaj1997
Thank you! I will take this into consideration :smile: I just looked on my old school website, and actually the 5A*-C percentage was only 53.2% Is this below the national average?

It's probably around the average. The average this year was much lower because of all the changes to the exams. I would wait till you get your AS results, and see which uni you would have a better chance at. When I visited Cambridge, the admissions tutor told me that getting 90-95 UMS in your best three would give you around a 50-70% chance of being accepted! which seems pretty good. And if you're now at a different school, I'm sure you can get great AS results! Good luck
Original post by eajeaj1997
Hello everyone,

I am in year 12, studying As Maths, Physics, History and Geography. Also studying Ab Initio Russian. I currently attend a selective Grammar school sixth form, however I studied my GCSEs at a normal comprehensive school where only 60% of the year group achieved 5 A*-C grades. I achieved 1 A*, 11 As and 1 B at GCSE, the A* in maths and the B in English language. I am predicted 3As and a B at AS, and am hoping for A*AAB at A2 I am very much interested in studying Law at Oxford university, would I still stand a chance bearing in mind my low GCSE grades?
Thank you.

Unless you went to a poor state school with little or no history of sending kids to top universities, I'd say no. Law is one of Oxford's most competitive courses, and they will reject something like 80-90% of applicants.
Reply 9
Original post by Theriverboatsong
they will reject something like 80-90% of applicants.

Yup:

Course statistics for 2014 entry

Law:
Interviewed: 48%
Successful: 15%
Intake: 185

Quick Reply

Latest