The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Accommodation at the University of Southampton 2015/16

Hi everyone,

We know a lot of you have questions about accommodation here at Southampton - this thread will be aiming to answer them! All of our halls are different to suit what you're looking for in a place to live. Let us know what you're wondering about life in Southampton halls.

In the meantime, did you know that you can tour round all of our halls using our Virtual Open Day? You can also watch our accommodation video to see how some of our students settled in to life away from home:

[video="youtube;NkJPxaa7gc0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkJPxaa7gc0[/video]

We look forward to chatting with you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

I have figured out everything about the accommodation but two things are still unclear for me. The prices of the rooms (for the accommodation in general) and I did not understand the differences between the types of rooms you offer on this site: https://studentaccommodationservices.soton.ac.uk/eaccom/login/start.do

Thank you very much.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by oras099
Hi,

I have figured out everything about the accommodation but two things are still unclear for me. The prices of the rooms (for the accommodation in general) and I did not understand the differences between the types of rooms you offer on this site: https://studentaccommodationservices.soton.ac.uk/eaccom/login/start.do

Thank you very much.

Have a ganders here and click on the navigation options on the left side.

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/accommodation/halls/ourrooms.html
Original post by Sam Walters
Have a ganders here and click on the navigation options on the left side.

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/accommodation/halls/ourrooms.html

Original post by oras099
Hi,

Thank you very much.

As Sam said, you can find out about prices and room types on our Accommodation website. We hope this helps!
Reply 4
Original post by University of Southampton
As Sam said, you can find out about prices and room types on our Accommodation website. We hope this helps!

Yes, it helped me a lot. Thanks
Reply 5
Ahhh good old Stoneham, those were the days!
Myself and many other offer holders have been trying to register online for the accommodation for new students in the past few days and the website repeatedly says that the personal details cannot be validated. Is this an issue with the website or our details personally? I have an unconditional offer as I am on a gap year and just want to get it all organised. Who should I contact with regards to getting this fixed?
Original post by laurenmcmahon35
Myself and many other offer holders have been trying to register online for the accommodation for new students in the past few days and the website repeatedly says that the personal details cannot be validated. Is this an issue with the website or our details personally? I have an unconditional offer as I am on a gap year and just want to get it all organised. Who should I contact with regards to getting this fixed?

Hi Lauren, sorry to hear that you've had web troubles. Please contact our Accommodation team to talk about this, their details are on our Accommodation website. We hope this helps.
Hi,
I've been considering going to Southampton. Would I be less likely to get accommodation as I already live in the city? I would want to get the uni experience from living in halls and my mum has pretty much already told me that she doesn't want me to stay at home as I won't be able to cover the rent she wants.
Thank you :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Sarky
Ahhh good old Stoneham, those were the days!

Best hall by miles!
Reply 10
Original post by szo
Best hall by miles!

I lived in Monte when I was there (amongst other places) and there as a guy in Stoneham who used to go up to the roof with his trombone and play the the song that Stoneham used to sing about Monte. Was hilarious.

Feel old now :frown:
Hi! Could you please advise me on help finance for students from low-income backgrounds when applying for accommodation? Thank you very much.
Original post by University of Southampton
Hi Lauren, sorry to hear that you've had web troubles. Please contact our Accommodation team to talk about this, their details are on our Accommodation website. We hope this helps.

Can you help this applicant?

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/undergraduate/tuition_fees/tuition_fees_2015.html This page says "The University will continue its package of financial support for 2015 and beyond" but the page linked to just states the standard loan/grants - the 2014/15 page talked about an award of up to £3k for students with a household income below £30k http://www.southampton.ac.uk/undergraduate/tuition_fees/student_financial_support.html

But the access agreement: http://www.offa.org.uk/agreements/University%20of%20Southampton.pdf says
"We shall provide financial support to students up to the levels indicated below. Students may choose whether to take this support in the form of fee waivers and/or bursaries.
£3,000 per annum for students with residual household incomes of less than £16,000
£1,500 per annum for students with residual household incomes of between £16,001 and £25,000
We also provide:
Care Leavers bursaries: £2,000 per annum for each year of study for students who have left care and progressed to the University.
A fund of up to £450,000 to enable students who find themselves in financial difficulty to access funding to facilitate retention. This includes an increase of £150,000 from 2015/16 (see below)."
So it looks as though the support will still be available but that isn't clear on the website.

Original post by greenwood_beth
Hi! Could you please advise me on help finance for students from low-income backgrounds when applying for accommodation? Thank you very much.
Does anyone know the arrangements for postgraduates applying to halls?
I've seen that St.Margaret's is specifically for postgrads, but what about other places... would they put us in a flat with other postgraduates or sprinkle us among undergraduates?

Hi. I applied for accommodation. As it says in the guide I have made three choices. Now the application status went from being awaiting application to submitted.

I received an email today saying confirmation of my receipt of the accommodation application.

I wanted to know if they will email me right after my offer has been made. Or do I need to regularly check my application status on the online accommodation site.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ariel fan
Hi. I applied for accommodation. As it says in the guide I have made three choices. Now the application status went from being awaiting application to submitted.

I received an email today saying confirmation of my receipt of the accommodation application.

I wanted to know if they will email me right after my offer has been made. Or do I need to regularly check my application status on the online accommodation site.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Offers for accommodation get made in August (unless your place gets confirmed/made unconditional sooner).

You will get emailed but lots of university emails get marked as spam or junk by some email providers so it is worth checking regularly once your place is confirmed. There is no point in checking before then.
Reply 16
Hey guys, if you have firmed Southampton feel free to post on the thread linked! It's a good chance to meet some potential 2015 freshers :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=54402387&highlight=Southampton
I lived in the halls this year in monte Wessex lane and it was convientant for lectures as its about a 10 minute bus on busy days and there pretty much every 9 minutes. However if you miss one its a bit of an up hill struggle. One thing that surprised me was how big monte is unfortunately I ended up at the back so it's a 6 minute walk to reception and the bus stop. Also I went to uni expecting to be with a really cool flat and ended up with mainly international students who didn't speak a word to me, so I ended up moving rooms half way through the year and they're now amazing. But also in my old room I have various issues with silver fish and although I called them out on numerous occasions to sort the issue it didn't work. And I found student support were really dismissive of my worries and concerns and seemed more annoided than supportive at wanting to help.
connuaght gym is really good often there's no one in there which is great.
i ended up bringing my car to uni which if I'm honest is a bad idea but there was 3 of my friends from home in monte and it worked out cheaper 1/3 of the train price and journey. But parking was a nightmare, as you can't get permits so you have to park on the road. Which was ok first term but by second everyone else had bought their cars and they were literally parking space stealers, as soon as you move your car someone wI'll be in your spot. The kitchens new refusbhing as they're quite dated and some blocks have smaller freezers than others which is an issue. I only had the maximum student loan and after halls found it left me with £47 a week which wasn't really enough.

in terms of monte a and b block these are the standard rooms and are the oldest so don't expect much from them, heard so bad things about them this year. Ended up with flags of 20 boys and 1 girl or just a whole flat of girls or boys.

In terms of other halls, mayflower is great if you want to be in town but be prepared to be late for uni and if you have gaps during the day you can't go home so it can be long and I love going home for a nap. It is also really expensive but then it is brand new, much of the year coop was not open and the gym still isn't i believe.

Glen eyre is a quick walk to uni but the bus service there is pretty rubbish so be prepared to walk.

Archers road had issues with the buses being filled up at mayflower so often ended up being late to lecture too.

Highfield halls are small mall and one of my friends said this year it can be very clicky.

hopefully this is helpful as I didn't have a clue when I first moved to Southampton, there's also a mini telco express on the way to uni.
so im starting at Southampton uni in September. I would like to find a nice area to live in as aroind the uni was quite rough looking to me. however, I do want a decent social life, so being near the bars/ clubs/ shops would be great. how far is the port in relation to the university? is it worth looking for accommodation near the port? do the busses run that far?
im just so confused as I don't know Southampton, apart from what I saw on the open day which was high field campus. the only problem is I will need a larger room as my partner will have to come visit me as im moving away from home.
can anyone help?
many thanks, kat xxx
Hi.

I'm at a high school in the USA currently, so I had a question about accommodation but it may not be relevant to universities in the UK. I've applied for Wessex Lane and Glen Eyre for self-catered.

In the cases of most of my friends (who are staying out here for college) when it comes to applying for accommodation they try to put people in the same "flat" (or as roommates, which is more common in the US) who are either enrolled on the same course or share some kind of similar hobby or interest. Is this the case at Southampton, or is it more random in terms of who ends up sharing a flat, especially if you're self-catered?

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending