The Student Room Group

Polos/Golfs/Yaris dilemna!

Hi all, I passed over 2 years ago but didn't buy a car because I lived a bus journey away from Uni and didn't really have much of an income/necessity for me to buy one. I finished a work contract quite recently and hope to gain another one soon so I'm looking for a car for work. I've been speaking to a member of this forum, Iqbal007 about the Polos for some general advice since he owns one and he's been pretty helpful. I went to see a Polo 2004 1.4 tdi yesterday and everything was fine outside of the gearbox which seemed pretty stiff so I left it because replacing it would cost me too much.

I want something reliable, economical and pretty cheap (used). I've narrowed my choices down to:

- VW Polo 1.4 tdi 2002-2004

Positives: Reliable and very economical with a good amount of power behind it for any type of journey to be bareable.
Negatives: Diesel engines are somewhat loud (though, I don't mind it much tbh), higher insurance group then the other cars I'm looking at and will cost about 500-800 more than the other cars I'm looking at so overall could be about a 1000 difference.

- VW Polo 1.2 petrol 2002-2004

Positives: Cheap, reliable
Negatives: Not much power, not as economical as the diesel.

- VW Polo 1.4 petrol 2002-2004

Positives: Cheap, reliable.
Negatives: Not as economical as the diesel/1.2 petrol and the diesel counterpart is quicker and more reliable too.

- Toyota Yaris 1.4 Diesel (1999-2005)

Positives: I learnt how to drive in this car so I know what to expect with it in terms of the drive (although I drive the 2006 version). I just enjoy the simple, basic and bright interior and quite like the digital speedometer too. It's also very reliable and very economical in terms of fuel.
Negatives: Not as common as the other cars and costs more than everything else (300-500 more than the polo tdi but it is going to be about 200 quid cheaper than it to insure) and it looks like more of a basic car than the Polo.

- VW Golf Mark 4 (1.9 TDi)

Positives: Very reliable, good runners and very economical with a good amount of power behind them.
Negatives: Hard to find one which hasn't got LOADS of mileage and doesn't have something wrong with it due to wear and tear.

I know the Skoda Fabia and the Ibiza are in the same bracket but I just don't like how they look at all. Have you guys got any form of wisdom, tips, advice you can provide to a car newbie like myself? My favourite car from all of them would be the Polo 1.4 tdi, then the Yaris diesel both reliable and economical with decent speed.
Reply 1
Original post by randomgeeza
Hi all, I passed over 2 years ago but didn't buy a car because I lived a bus journey away from Uni and didn't really have much of an income/necessity for me to buy one. I finished a work contract quite recently and hope to gain another one soon so I'm looking for a car for work. I've been speaking to a member of this forum, Iqbal007 about the Polos for some general advice since he owns one and he's been pretty helpful. I went to see a Polo 2004 1.4 tdi yesterday and everything was fine outside of the gearbox which seemed pretty stiff so I left it because replacing it would cost me too much.I want something reliable, economical and pretty cheap (used). I've narrowed my choices down to:- VW Polo 1.4 tdi 2002-2004Positives: Reliable and very economical with a good amount of power behind it for any type of journey to be bareable.Negatives: Diesel engines are somewhat loud (though, I don't mind it much tbh), higher insurance group then the other cars I'm looking at and will cost about 500-800 more than the other cars I'm looking at so overall could be about a 1000 difference.- VW Polo 1.2 petrol 2002-2004Positives: Cheap, reliableNegatives: Not much power, not as economical as the diesel.- VW Polo 1.4 petrol 2002-2004Positives: Cheap, reliable.Negatives: Not as economical as the diesel/1.2 petrol and the diesel counterpart is quicker and more reliable too.- Toyota Yaris 1.4 Diesel (1999-2005)Positives: I learnt how to drive in this car so I know what to expect with it in terms of the drive (although I drive the 2006 version). I just enjoy the simple, basic and bright interior and quite like the digital speedometer too. It's also very reliable and very economical in terms of fuel.Negatives: Not as common as the other cars and costs more than everything else (300-500 more than the polo tdi but it is going to be about 200 quid cheaper than it to insure) and it looks like more of a basic car than the Polo.- VW Golf Mark 4 (1.9 TDi)Positives: Very reliable, good runners and very economical with a good amount of power behind them.Negatives: Hard to find one which hasn't got LOADS of mileage and doesn't have something wrong with it due to wear and tear.I know the Skoda Fabia and the Ibiza are in the same bracket but I just don't like how they look at all. Have you guys got any form of wisdom, tips, advice you can provide to a car newbie like myself? My favourite car from all of them would be the Polo 1.4 tdi, then the Yaris diesel both reliable and economical with decent speed.

Are you a guy? If you are, go for the Golf- chicks love the look of that car the most :wink:
Original post by simran_x
Are you a guy? If you are, go for the Golf- chicks love the look of that car the most :wink:

Lol, yes they do but I'm talking about the Mark 4 my man.
Reply 3
Original post by randomgeeza
Lol, yes they do but I'm talking about the Mark 4 my man.

aahh you could still pull it off if u pimp ur ride a lil LOL
LOL. Some blinging allows, leather seats and they're ready 2 go :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending