The Student Room Group

was this abusive

My ex pressured me to sleep with him by telling me he would hurt someone if i didnt. i gave in and it hurt.
i was feeling really depressed and had some thoughts about dying. this one time he pushed his thumb on my throat and said 'this is what you want isn't it' i turned away, he kelp doing it, eventually he left me alone. He is popular, and i left facebook because of him. none of his friends know what he is like, they think i m bad because i didnt like him back. I never cheated (although he did once) i just had depression.

i got him to pay me back money he owed me for paying his rent. then i disconnected with him. I told him in email i wanted to meet new people and that i didnt want to live here anymore. He has not contacted me since, but i bumped into him the other day and he gave me a really dirty look. basically i feel so alone and disgusting.

i m trying to think what i did wrong. he kelp telling me he loved me, and i never felt the same perhaps i went out with him because of emotional pressure.

i ve lost my friends and i have a bad time finding employment due to anxiety.

any tips? advice? thank yous :frown:

Scroll to see replies

That can be classified as rape because your ex made you sleep with him even though you didn't want to.. :/ You did nothing wrong OP!xx
It sounds abusive!! I'm glad you got out of that relationship! :smile:
YES.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
My ex pressured me to sleep with him by telling me he would hurt someone if i didnt. i gave in and it hurt.
i was feeling really depressed and had some thoughts about dying. this one time he pushed his thumb on my throat and said 'this is what you want isn't it' i turned away, he kelp doing it, eventually he left me alone. He is popular, and i left facebook because of him. none of his friends know what he is like, they think i m bad because i didnt like him back. I never cheated (although he did once) i just had depression.

i got him to pay me back money he owed me for paying his rent. then i disconnected with him. I told him in email i wanted to meet new people and that i didnt want to live here anymore. He has not contacted me since, but i bumped into him the other day and he gave me a really dirty look. basically i feel so alone and disgusting.

i m trying to think what i did wrong. he kelp telling me he loved me, and i never felt the same perhaps i went out with him because of emotional pressure.

Yes.

Have you talked to anyone about it or sought any help?
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
That can be classified as rape because your ex made you sleep with him even though you didn't want to.. :/ You did nothing wrong OP!xx

I'm pretty sure that's not the definition of rape...
Original post by anonwinner
I'm pretty sure that's not the definition of rape...

He blackmailed her though..

You didn't do anything wrong.

He might have said that he loved you and etc but it was probably to take advantage of the emotionally vulnerable state that you are in. Someone that loves you wouldn't have pressured you into having sex with them.

I would suggest talking to someone about it, ideally a professional.
Reply 8
Well actually it isn't at all clear cut whether or not is was rape. Legally part of the definition of rape is that person "A does not reasonably believe that B consents" but still carries on with sex. "Whether a belief is reasonable is to be determined having regard to all the circumstances, including any steps A has taken to ascertain whether B consents".
Unless you say "yes" then, even if you don't say "no", it could still be classed as rape. It's a bit of a grey area.
On the other hand OP, that guy sounds like a nightmare and you are definitely better off without him. Even if it wasn't rape, it was an abusive relationship.
Reply 9
I feel so bad for you. That is definitely rape and it sounds as if he was manipulating you and physically abusing you. It might help if you talked with someone about your experience, perhaps the Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Centre - ring them on 0808 802 9999. There's also this page which might help you out:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Sexualhealth/Pages/Sexualassault.aspx

Really hope you're ok xxx
Reply 10
Original post by DorianGrayism
No, it isn't "definitely" rape.

Rape: sexual penetration of someone who does not willingly give their consent.

It is definitely rape. If you don't agree, feel free to chat with my husband who has been a criminal solicitor for over 5 years.
Original post by Lwin
Well actually it isn't at all clear cut whether or not is was rape. Legally part of the definition of rape is that person "A does not reasonably believe that B consents" but still carries on with sex. "Whether a belief is reasonable is to be determined having regard to all the circumstances, including any steps A has taken to ascertain whether B consents".
Unless you say "yes" then, even if you don't say "no", it could still be classed as rape. It's a bit of a grey area.
On the other hand OP, that guy sounds like a nightmare and you are definitely better off without him. Even if it wasn't rape, it was an abusive relationship.

Aye but in the law the consent doesn't count as consent if it was coerced, which it seems was the case. "said he would hurt someone if I didn't" sounds like coercion to me.
Reply 12
Original post by SophieSmall
Aye but in the law the consent doesn't count as consent if it was coerced, which it seems was the case. "said he would hurt someone if I didn't" sounds like coercion to me.

I agree with you. Personally I would say it was rape. But I don't want people getting s**ty in the comments so I was just quoting some wikipedia at them.
You didn't consent to sex, so it is rape. You should seek a counsellor. I have friends who were raped and didn't get help, and they regret it. I hope you're okay xx
Original post by Lashton
Rape: sexual penetration of someone who does not willingly give their consent.

It is definitely rape. If you don't agree, feel free to chat with my husband who has been a criminal solicitor for over 5 years.

I didn't read the section about blackmail.

Also, I don't give a **** about your husband or what he does. It has no relevance to the thread.

Also, I don't give a **** about your husband or what he does. It has no relevance to the thread.

How did you not read it? It's literally the first sentence. You wouldn't know what this topic is even about without reading about the blackmail.
I don't have any (useful) advice for you, but I'm glad you extricated yourself from that situation and can now try to move forwards with your life.

Best of luck.
Original post by Treeroy
How did you not read it? It's literally the first sentence. You wouldn't know what this topic is even about without reading about the blackmail.

Because I skim read it.

The topic is about abuse and depression.

There are many things going on here. It is not simply due to the rape incident.

Also,the first poster wrote...it is rape because "you didn't not want to" have sex. I assumed that was the actual reason.
(edited 9 years ago)

Be grateful. So grateful. Go live your life; focus on yourself, away from him. You did nothing wrong. Never question yourself in this regard. You are so lucky you're away from him. Cherish it. Never go back.
Reply 19

Woah! Sorry I've upset you. I mentioned it because you seemed to be having a little trouble with the definition of the term. I'm sure you realise that criminal solicitors deal with rape cases. Hope you now see the relevence.

I think it would be good if, instead of insulting each other, we offered our support to the original poster?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending