The Student Room Group

advanced higher physics question? please help :)

how do you work out the direction of the force I've tried the right hand rule (I'm Scottish so I use negative current) but I can't get it to work

I know the answer is downwards towards the other wire but can someone explain why?

thanks in advance :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ah4p
how do you work out the direction of the force I've tried the right hand rule (I'm Scottish so I use negative current) but I can't get it to work

I know the answer is downwards towards the other wire but can someone explain why?

The magnetic field around the conductor carrying a current follows Flemings Right Hand Rule.

The direction of the field lines define the magnetic north and south in the same way as the field lines circulating around a permanent magnetic.

If the current is in the same direction in both conductors, the field circulation meets in opposite directions (i.e. N and S) and the force is the same as the pole-opposite attraction of bar magnets.

Reply 2
Original post by uberteknik
The magnetic field around the conductor carrying a current follows Flemings Right Hand Rule.

The direction of the field lines define the magnetic north and south in the same way as the field lines circulating around a permanent magnetic.

If the current is in the same direction in both conductors, the field circulation meets in opposite directions (i.e. N and S) and the force is the same as the pole-opposite attraction of bar magnets.

Thank you vvv much for your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ah4p

Could you please not double post questions.

This saves people time answering when there is no need.

Quick Reply

Latest