The Student Room Group

How does intelligence affect how much revision you need to do for A levels?

I'd say for AAA
Really intelligent- 1-2 Weeks
Intelligent- 2-4 Weeks
Average - 4-6 Weeks
Below average - 6-8 Weeks
Low intelligence- 8-10 Weeks
This is hardcore revision btw judging that you've been doing bits and bobs around the year.
Yeah...I don't think it is as simple as that. A lot of other factors come into play when it comes to the grades people eventually get i.e. health issues, distractions, their teachers, exam board, encouragement etc.
Reply 2
No. My friend is incredibly intelligent (I'm 99% sure he'll meet his Cambridge maths offer) and he revises FAR more than your 'low intelligence' of 8-10 weeks. He's been revising essentially the whole year. In theory you could get AAA with those numbers (though I'd still say it's a large underestimate) it takes exponentially more work to get A*A*A*.
Reply 3
Original post by TVIO
No. My friend is incredibly intelligent (I'm 99% sure he'll meet his Cambridge maths offer) and he revises FAR more than your 'low intelligence' of 8-10 weeks. He's been revising essentially the whole year. In theory you could get AAA with those numbers (though I'd still say it's a large underestimate) it takes exponentially more work to get A*A*A*.

It's disregarding other factors and also A*'s take much longer no matter how intelligent you are that's why I said AAA also its hardcore revision so greater than 6 hours a day.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Awais A
I'd say for AAA
Really intelligent- 1-2 Weeks
Intelligent- 2-4 Weeks
Average - 4-6 Weeks
Below average - 6-8 Weeks
Low intelligence- 8-10 Weeks
This is hardcore revision btw judging that you've been doing bits and bobs around the year.

This would essentially mean everyone's intelligence would approach an average value as 'Low Intelligence' people improve from high effort and 'Really Intelligent' people under perform due to contentedness. It's just stupid, everyone is unique in the amount of time they need to revise and performance has a much stronger basis in the quality of revision than the quantity anyway.
i got a*aa in biology maths and chemistry respectively, thought I should have got 3 a* which i probably would have had I not left it so late.

I put off revising right up until, if i remember correctly, about 16 days before my exams, when I revised hardcore - mainly past papers. I had 5 exams.

I would say I have always been considered intelligent (not that I think intelligence is solely reflected by grades).
Reply 6
Original post by productofpain
i got a*aa in biology maths and chemistry respectively, thought I should have got 3 a* which i probably would have had I not left it so late.

I put off revising right up until, if i remember correctly, about 16 days before my exams, when I revised hardcore - mainly past papers. I had 5 exams.

I would say I have always been considered intelligent (not that I think intelligence is solely reflected by grades).

But overall all im saying is that would you consider it a factor to how much time you need to study.
Original post by Awais A
But overall all im saying is that would you consider it a factor to how much time you need to study.

I would say it's quality time studying over quantity.

Over the years I really sharpened my personal way of effectively revising and really developed very good exam technique.

so what I'm saying is its the exam and revisiion experience, for me personally, that helped me.

Had I only left myself 16 days for my gcses I would have done shocking, purely because of exam technique and having not mastered how to revise effectively.
Reply 8
I would say it's quality time studying over quantity.

Over the years I really sharpened my personal way of effectively revising and really developed very good exam technique.

so what I'm saying is its the exam and revisiion experience, for me personally, that helped me.

Had I only left myself 16 days for my gcses I would have done shocking, purely because of exam technique and having not mastered how to revise effectively.

thank you for the answer I have 12 exams in the summer but I have already started revision i'm going to start hardcore revision in April I think i'm average, so I guess what your saying is that intelligence doesn't really matter in the end it's how you effectively you use you're intelligence?
Original post by Awais A
thank you for the answer I have 12 exams in the summer but I have already started revision i'm going to start hardcore revision in April I think i'm average, so I guess what your saying is that intelligence doesn't really matter in the end it's how you effectively you use you're intelligence?

definitely. I know so many very intelligent people who never applied themselves to their exams and revision and as a result got mediocre grades, which is why I say grades do not reflect intelligence in every case.

General revision advice, really focus on exam technique by doing past papers. In some cases, such as biology, some questions and answers come up again and again so learning some model answers are very useful.
Reply 10
definitely. I know so many very intelligent people who never applied themselves to their exams and revision and as a result got mediocre grades, which is why I say grades do not reflect intelligence in every case.

General revision advice, really focus on exam technique by doing past papers. In some cases, such as biology, some questions and answers come up again and again so learning some model answers are very useful.

I was wondering how do you revise because note taking doesn't help me revise but reading through the textbook and doing questions do.
Original post by Awais A
I was wondering how do you revise because note taking doesn't help me revise but reading through the textbook and doing questions do.

for my a levels, I generally just read the text books and fully absorbed all information and then compared this against the spec, bullet pointed and made a few notes on finer details, and did past papers.
I only did my AS level exams with basically no revision and managed a B, C and a D, in many cases this is a similar grade to what people in my class who had revised ' hardcore ' for a few weeks. I wouldn't consider myself as smart as such, I was just interested in the subjects throughout the year and managed to somehow retain a lot of the information.

I don't think there's any right or wrong way to revise whether a person is considered intelligent or not, it just depends on the questions on the day and how much you remember.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest