The Student Room Group

Driving test tomorrow morning..

So i have my (first) driving test tomorrow morning, i think im good enough too pass but i can imagine something going wrong if i let my nerves get to me or if i try and emerge from junctions (mainly roundabouts) when i think its safe but it actually isn't

Does anyone have any last minute advice for me? Also, whens the best time to like actually 'go' at a junction? Like if theres an opportunity to go but you're not 100% sure/comfortable to go and decide to wait for another opportunity is it bad/could you get a minor for hesitation or something?
I had my driving test (first time) today. In the days leading up to the test I was pretty confident I'd fail as I didn't feel ready, and during the test I KNEW I had failed with the number of mistakes I made. I actually passed and with only two minors! Couldn't believe it. My gear changes were slightly shuffly and fudged, I was unsure about the speed limit of a couple of roads, went in the wrong gear once (although changed back in the nick of time), got beeped at on a roundabout when turning off, nearly mucked up the hill start - the list goes on. I asked her about these mistakes at the end and she said I was being far too critical of myself.

First of all - it's not nearly as nerve-wracking as you imagine. The examiner should be friendly and nice to you throughout, and they shouldn't react to any mistakes you think you made. Mine just sat there peacefully and at no point did I feel like she was judging me for being crap. It's all just in your head.

With regards to junctions - this was something I was worried about as my instructor's always nagging me about hesitation at roundabouts/junctions. If you're in any doubt, wait. If there was a big gap where you think you should have gone, it might be worth saying to the examiner something like "I know there was a gap there, but I figured that it would be safer to wait, especially as we're turning right on to a main road" - if you explain your decision, they're more likely to be lenient as they know you have an understanding of what you may have done wrong. I did get a minor for pulling slowly out at a crossroads, but that was it.

The test went so much quicker than I expected - even though I thought it was going awfully, it ended quick enough that I didn't have too much worrying to do. The most important thing to remember is that they aren't looking for you to drive perfectly (I certainly didn't), they just want you to be safe. The odd mistake (hitting a speed bump badly, bad gear change, braking too harshly) here or there shouldn't make any difference overall. It's just so subjective- what may be appropriate in one situation may not be in another.

Good luck, I hope you pass :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by perflous
I had my driving test (first time) today. In the days leading up to the test I was pretty confident I'd fail as I didn't feel ready, and during the test I KNEW I had failed with the number of mistakes I made. I actually passed and with only two minors! Couldn't believe it. My gear changes were slightly shuffly and fudged, I was unsure about the speed limit of a couple of roads, went in the wrong gear once (although changed back in the nick of time), got beeped at on a roundabout when turning off, nearly mucked up the hill start - the list goes on. I asked her about these mistakes at the end and she said I was being far too critical of myself.

First of all - it's not nearly as nerve-wracking as you imagine. The examiner should be friendly and nice to you throughout, and they shouldn't react to any mistakes you think you made. Mine just sat there peacefully and at no point did I feel like she was judging me for being crap. It's all just in your head.

With regards to junctions - this was something I was worried about as my instructor's always nagging me about hesitation at roundabouts/junctions. If you're in any doubt, wait. If there was a big gap where you think you should have gone, it might be worth saying to the examiner something like "I know there was a gap there, but I figured that it would be safer to wait, especially as we're turning right on to a main road" - if you explain your decision, they're more likely to be lenient as they know you have an understanding of what you may have done wrong. I did get a minor for pulling slowly out at a crossroads, but that was it.

The test went so much quicker than I expected - even though I thought it was going awfully, it ended quick enough that I didn't have too much worrying to do. The most important thing to remember is that they aren't looking for you to drive perfectly (I certainly didn't), they just want you to be safe. The odd mistake (hitting a speed bump badly, bad gear change, braking too harshly) here or there shouldn't make any difference overall. It's just so subjective- what may be appropriate in one situation may not be in another.

that was most definitely encouraging and helpful, thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by perflous

Good luck and hope all goes well for you! And congratulations to you!
Just a quick Q, how many lessons did you have before you booked your test? Both of you...

Posted from TSR Mobile
i thought i was gonna fail mine but ended up passing!

just drive as you would in a lesson, it only lasts for 30 mins and you'll be in traffic most of the time

best of luck mate!
Reply 5
Original post by Zahra96
Just a quick Q, how many lessons did you have before you booked your test? Both of you...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had 33 hours so far and then i have 1 hour before my test tomorrow so it'll be 34 hours of lessons with an instructor.
I also did 1 hour in my mums car with my dad, but that was automatic so it wasn't particularly like... difficult...

So i guess you could call that 35 hours total, my instructor said i was ready at around 27 hours but i wanted a few more lessons because i wasn't as confident
Reply 6
Original post by scriberg
i thought i was gonna fail mine but ended up passing!

just drive as you would in a lesson, it only lasts for 30 mins and you'll be in traffic most of the time

best of luck mate!

Haha i booked it at 11:17 (or something like that) cus i thought it would be better to avoid the traffic xD

cheers mate! would thumbs up but i've run out for the day apparently!
Original post by Rvd1
Haha i booked it at 11:17 (or something like that) cus i thought it would be better to avoid the traffic xD

cheers mate! would thumbs up but i've run out for the day apparently!

i did mine at 8:30 and the test centre was right next to a primary school!

at least for you hardly anyone will be out at that time, just learn the questions and drive calmly

no worries bro!
Reply 8
i did mine at 8:30 and the test centre was right next to a primary school!

at least for you hardly anyone will be out at that time, just learn the questions and drive calmly

no worries bro!

Yea been tactically booking the lessons i had with my instructor at that time too so i'd know if certain roads and stuff would be busy :wink:

ahah cheers mate!
Original post by Rvd1
So i have my (first) driving test tomorrow morning, i think im good enough too pass but i can imagine something going wrong if i let my nerves get to me or if i try and emerge from junctions (mainly roundabouts) when i think its safe but it actually isn't

Does anyone have any last minute advice for me? Also, whens the best time to like actually 'go' at a junction? Like if theres an opportunity to go but you're not 100% sure/comfortable to go and decide to wait for another opportunity is it bad/could you get a minor for hesitation or something?

Just treat it as any other lesson :yy: You've got to the point where your instructor feels you're ready for a test....which means you're more than capable with the technical aspects, it's just self-confidence from there on out. That's easier said that done sure, but as you say above, you've looked at test routes/figured out the best time to do one. Concentrate on being a safe and competent driver - they're not expecting you to complete the course in the quickest time or to show the examiner the sights...they just want to see you're aware of yourself and others on the road. Check your mirrors, don't do anything by the half-measures etc.

As for pulling out, if you're unsure if it's safe then don't do anything rash and make sure everything is fine, that's what the examiner wants to see. Even explain why you're waiting an extra few seconds, they may still give you a minor for hesitation - but that's better than pulling out dangerously and getting a major and if anything shows your mindset a bit and that you're willing to be safe.
Reply 10
Original post by Champagne Supernova
Just treat it as any other lesson :yy: You've got to the point where your instructor feels you're ready for a test....which means you're more than capable with the technical aspects, it's just self-confidence from there on out. That's easier said that done sure, but as you say above, you've looked at test routes/figured out the best time to do one. Concentrate on being a safe and competent driver - they're not expecting you to complete the course in the quickest time or to show the examiner the sights...they just want to see you're aware of yourself and others on the road. Check your mirrors, don't do anything by the half-measures etc.

As for pulling out, if you're unsure if it's safe then don't do anything rash and make sure everything is fine, that's what the examiner wants to see. Even explain why you're waiting an extra few seconds, they may still give you a minor for hesitation - but that's better than pulling out dangerously and getting a major and if anything shows your mindset a bit and that you're willing to be safe.

Cheers for the advice !

Waiting for my instructor to pick me up and then I'll have my one hour before my test 😬

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zahra96

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I did about 35ish hours with my instructor before I booked my test (I only booked it six days in advance) but then did about another 8 hours in a week, in sessions of about 2 hours a time - between 41/43 hours in total?
how did it go?!
Reply 13
how did it go?!

I passed first time! Got 3 minors (all of them for approach to junctions being a little to fast apparently) thanks for all the helpful advice guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rvd1
I passed first time! Got 3 minors (all of them for approach to junctions being a little to fast apparently) thanks for all the helpful advice guys!

Well done, don't worry about the minors, only three is solid especially considering that doesn't include mirror minors.
Reply 15
Original post by Champagne Supernova
Well done, don't worry about the minors, only three is solid especially considering that doesn't include mirror minors.

Cheers bud!

Looking for a first car now - anyone got any ideas? Thinking Ford Fiesta as that's what I learnt in but not too sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rvd1
Cheers bud!

Looking for a first car now - anyone got any ideas? Thinking Ford Fiesta as that's what I learnt in but not too sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got a Ford Fiesta. They are great. THe insurance is quite a bit but it's a 1.3l so not too bad really. The tax is quite good. I love the driving experience of it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending