The Student Room Group

Stuck for courses

:/Hi, I'm doing ASs at the moment... Chemistry, physics, maths, further maths and geography but really stuck for uni courses :frown: I got 10A*s snd2As at gcse and predicted high for a levels. Geography is my favourite but what courses do you suggest.. D quite like a mix but not sure what jobs this would lead to. Not interested in mechanics but happy to do physics? Please help!:confused:

Scroll to see replies

If it makes you feel better, I have no idea what I want to do either
Reply 2
Original post by manoornadim
If it makes you feel better, I have no idea what I want to do either

Yeah slightly! What year are you in! Everyone else seems to know and I just have no idea :/
Reply 3
If it helps, I was pondering on Physics for a long time and ended up choosing Geography :smile: I think I preferred the idea of doing something I could see the application of (worried that Physics would get a big abstract) and also I'm a big human geographer.
I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography as my A2 subjects - These were seen as more or less OK for most BSc and BA Geography courses. BSc's tend to be more physical, while BAs tend towards human though both do tend to have a hand in both (you can do your own research on that). Sheffield was pretty good at giving plenty of choice from what I remember!
In terms of career, I think there is quite a lot to go into that people don't realise: obviously I don't know what you like so I can't give you pointers but there's more than just geography teacher and crayon technician available
Reply 4
Original post by AKell17
If it helps, I was pondering on Physics for a long time and ended up choosing Geography :smile: I think I preferred the idea of doing something I could see the application of (worried that Physics would get a big abstract) and also I'm a big human geographer.
I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography as my A2 subjects - These were seen as more or less OK for most BSc and BA Geography courses. BSc's tend to be more physical, while BAs tend towards human though both do tend to have a hand in both (you can do your own research on that). Sheffield was pretty good at giving plenty of choice from what I remember!
In terms of career, I think there is quite a lot to go into that people don't realise: obviously I don't know what you like so I can't give you pointers but there's more than just geography teacher and crayon technician available

Thanks so much.. That's helpful and good to know.. Would you recommend just doing a Geog course then rather than a mixed one? Thanks again :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by hann4h
Thanks so much.. That's helpful and good to know.. Would you recommend just doing a Geog course then rather than a mixed one? Thanks again :smile:

Looking at it from an objective standpoint, what would you do with a degree in Geography? It has one of the worst employment prospects for a reason.
Reply 6
Original post by hann4h

I see a Geography course as pretty broad within itself :smile: though if Environmental Science was offered with it and that was your sort of thing I'd definitely give it a bash! Start ordering prospectuses from places and just have about what you'd like to get from your degree and what you want it to say about what you know (and also, prepare for the colouring jokes if you go down this path)
Reply 7
Original post by aoxa
Looking at it from an objective standpoint, what would you do with a degree in Geography? It has one of the worst employment prospects for a reason.

Yeah I know that's my main worry and why I was thinking physics may be better even though I enjoy Geog more!! :/
Reply 8
Original post by AKell17
I see a Geography course as pretty broad within itself :smile: though if Environmental Science was offered with it and that was your sort of thing I'd definitely give it a bash! Start ordering prospectuses from places and just have about what you'd like to get from your degree and what you want it to say about what you know (and also, prepare for the colouring jokes if you go down this path)

Thanks that's a good idea.. I went to a uni open day last week so I'll order some :smile: thanks :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by AKell17

Also just wondering did you do a year abroad with this course and was it good?
Original post by hann4h
Also just wondering did you do a year abroad with this course and was it good?

At the moment I'm in my first year at Oxford: I don't do a year abroad, but I do have about a week where I go and do fieldwork in Copenhagen (human) or Tenerife (physical)
Reply 11
Original post by AKell17
At the moment I'm in my first year at Oxford: I don't do a year abroad, but I do have about a week where I go and do fieldwork in Copenhagen (human) or Tenerife (physical)

Wow! That sounds good, is Oxford good? What grades from gcse did you get up to get in there?
Original post by hann4h
Wow! That sounds good, is Oxford good? What grades from gcse did you get up to get in there?

Oxford is really really good - though it is a lot of work! I got 10A*s and 2As, though this is probably towards the higher end of what they expect...
I'd suggest applying even if you aren't sure about getting in - if you worry about fitting in I can assure you that you will! Also, its one application out of five, you don't have much to lose :smile: of course, this all suggests you have a look at the university & course and enjoy it
Reply 13
Original post by AKell17
Oxford is really really good - though it is a lot of work! I got 10A*s and 2As, though this is probably towards the higher end of what they expect...
I'd suggest applying even if you aren't sure about getting in - if you worry about fitting in I can assure you that you will! Also, its one application out of five, you don't have much to lose :smile: of course, this all suggests you have a look at the university & course and enjoy it

I got 10A*s and 2As too :smile: yeah maybe I will.. Just have to work hard to get good grades the next 2 years.. Did u get all As and then A*s at AS and A level?
Original post by hann4h
I got 10A*s and 2As too :smile: yeah maybe I will.. Just have to work hard to get good grades the next 2 years.. Did u get all As and then A*s at AS and A level?

I got As in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography AS, and a B in AS Psychology
At A2 - I got A*s in Maths and Further Maths, and As in Physics and Geography!
Why not try Chemical Engineering at Cambridge. You are certainly good enough for it. Also try applying to some American universities. They could accept you.
Reply 16
Original post by Raymat
Why not try Chemical Engineering at Cambridge. You are certainly good enough for it. Also try applying to some American universities. They could accept you.

Thanks.. What sort of things does that involve? Is it too late to apply to American ones now? :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by AKell17
I got As in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography AS, and a B in AS Psychology
At A2 - I got A*s in Maths and Further Maths, and As in Physics and Geography!

Wow! That's really good! I'm doing further maths at the minute but I might drop it next year, not sure yet! Thanks for all your help and suggestions :smile:
Original post by hann4h
:/Hi, I'm doing ASs at the moment... Chemistry, physics, maths, further maths and geography but really stuck for uni courses :frown: I got 10A*s snd2As at gcse and predicted high for a levels. Geography is my favourite but what courses do you suggest.. D quite like a mix but not sure what jobs this would lead to. Not interested in mechanics but happy to do physics? Please help!:confused:

HI. Bit of a blatant plug, but have you thought about coming along to our Further Maths - What Next? event? http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/FurtherMathsWhatNext/ It's free to attend and designed for those who don't know what to do at Uni. You can spend the day finding out about different subjects that don't necessarily appear on the school curriculum. (No geography on the programme, but Earth Sciences is on there.)
Reply 19
Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept
HI. Bit of a blatant plug, but have you thought about coming along to our Further Maths - What Next? event? http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/FurtherMathsWhatNext/ It's free to attend and designed for those who don't know what to do at Uni. You can spend the day finding out about different subjects that don't necessarily appear on the school curriculum. (No geography on the programme, but Earth Sciences is on there.)

Hi, thanks that looks really good.. I'll have a look with my parents later and try and sign up hopefully, would you rate it higher than doing a summer school? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending