The Student Room Group

UCL Chemistry (2015 entry)

Hi has anyone received an interview/offer for Chemistry at UCL.
Kinda stressing cos I haven't heard anything from them yet other than they have received my application :confused:
Reply 1
Original post by faraz_rahimi
Kinda stressing cos I haven't heard anything from them yet other than they have received my application :confused:

SAAAAMEE! I was literally just stressing over this. I applied back in October and have heard nothing since :angry::mad::s-smilie:
Reply 2

Original post by TajwarC
SAAAAMEE! I was literally just stressing over this. I applied back in October and have heard nothing since :angry::mad::s-smilie:

Wow they still haven't replied?? They're doing it in a weird order. Me and a friend were predicted A*A*A* and A*A*A and got offers pretty quickly; what were your predictions?
Reply 3
I'm predicted A*AA and I still haven't heard nothing back. Thinking of emailing them to see whats going on..
Reply 4
Original post by Dylann
Wow they still haven't replied?? They're doing it in a weird order. Me and a friend were predicted A*A*A* and A*A*A and got offers pretty quickly; what were your predictions?

AAB. My AS grades as you know aren't amazing but whats puzzling me is that I haven't been rejected yet either so I'm guessing they're giving all the people which high predictions such as yourself the offers and seeing who's left. I'm hoping the contextual factors help me out but I remember the admissions tutor telling me back in July that this holds no advantage for me! I also applied for Chemistry with Maths, not sure if that changes anything
Reply 5
Original post by TajwarC
AAB. My AS grades as you know aren't amazing but whats puzzling me is that I haven't been rejected yet either so I'm guessing they're giving all the people which high predictions such as yourself the offers and seeing who's left. I'm hoping the contextual factors help me out but I remember the admissions tutor telling me back in July that this holds no advantage for me! I also applied for Chemistry with Maths, not sure if that changes anything

There were people with BBB who had offers so I'm certain you'll get in. As long as you had semi-interesting personal statement then you should be good
Reply 6
Original post by Dylann
There were people with BBB who had offers so I'm certain you'll get in. As long as you had semi-interesting personal statement then you should be good

Where else have you applied
Reply 7
Original post by Dylann

BBB at AS? I'm just below that! Although I am doing an extra AS in Further Maths this year. Oh god. My personal statement was pretty good on my opinion.

I remember also, they sent me an email asking for more information. They must have thought I didn't fill in all my grades into UCAS but they were all pending due to resits! I think I've stuffed myself! Not to mention the stupid email I sent the admissions tutor a week before, I was essentially asking how much predicted grades are emphasized on along with contextual data. They probably think they are inflated (which they kind of are). I didn't get a reply so I'm praying he didn't see that bunch stupidity :s-smilie:

Gap year it is!
Reply 8
Where else have you applied

Durham, Warwick and Bath. Offers from all but deciding between Durham and Warwick. What about yourself?
Reply 9
Original post by Dylann
Durham, Warwick and Bath. Offers from all but deciding between Durham and Warwick. What about yourself?

Queen Mary, Surrey and Reading. Got the offers, but hoping for UCL to come thru
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
3rd year UCL Chemist here, feel free to ask any questions about the course :smile:

What optional modules, if any, did you pick?
I've always preferred organic, so this year both of my optional modules are centred around that: "Reactions, Pathways and Intermediate in Organic Chemistry" and "Principles of Drug Design", the latter being much more biological.

Ah kind of similar to myself. Although I do enjoy the quantum side as I like maths. Did you pick any maths/physics courses in your first two years?

What are the labs like? Are you always assessed on the practicals? How many per week and how long?
Reply 12
Original post by TajwarC
BBB at AS? I'm just below that! Although I am doing an extra AS in Further Maths this year. Oh god. My personal statement was pretty good on my opinion.

I remember also, they sent me an email asking for more information. They must have thought I didn't fill in all my grades into UCAS but they were all pending due to resits! I think I've stuffed myself! Not to mention the stupid email I sent the admissions tutor a week before, I was essentially asking how much predicted grades are emphasized on along with contextual data. They probably think they are inflated (which they kind of are). I didn't get a reply so I'm praying he didn't see that bunch stupidity :s-smilie:

Gap year it is!

I think they had achieved BBB at A2 but were retaking to get AAA. They haven't outright rejected you though so I think you still have a good chance.
x

I think I'd enjoy most of that, bar the physical practicals I guess. Thanks for the detailed reply :smile:
Reply 14
It's stressful waiting but they have must a huge amount of applications to get through. Apparently UCL usually take longer than most universities anyway so don't worry too much. At least we are all still in contention! :-)
3rd year UCL Chemist here, feel free to ask any questions about the course :smile:

Hey I have A*AA predicted grades but had an operation last year which made working harder and lowered my AS grades. I've applied for chem with maths too and have had an offer or will be having or have had an interview at my other choices. What kind of grades did you get or what did you talk about on your personal statement? And can I ask, whats the maths aspect like on the course, I really like chemistry but wanted to keep the maths side :smile:
Hi there :smile:

First off, my grades were quite good, I was predicted AAA at A2 and got A*AA, but was surprisingly given an offer of AAB which was apparently quite common in 2012 when I applied. I'm not complaining, it made the job easier for me :laugh:

I filled my PS with chemistry things, because that's really what they're looking for. I went to a few chemistry experiment days at Imperial so I spoke about the NMR and IR spectroscopy we did on that day, what I learnt and found challenging etc. I also spoke about work experience I did in a Pharmacy and what that was like. In addition, I was reading around the subject and described a book on Nanoreactors and their possible applications in medicine and biology.

In 1st year at least one maths option is compulsory, but most people did 2. It's essentially what further maths is like at A level and doesn't really have a lot to do with the chemistry side of things. Surprisingly, the maths and physics you use in the Physical Chemistry section aren't that hard, it's mostly fine for someone who's gotten a good grade in it at A level.

If you do chemistry with maths then you will have pure maths modules which don't have a lot to do with chem. One of my friends is doing that degree and he says that the maths modules are really difficult, especially in 3rd year. And mind you, he's the sort of person that always gets above 80 or 90 in everything. Still though, it ultimately depends on the person and on how much they enjoy the maths side of it as well as the amount of work they put in.

Thanks, your personal statement sounds really strong especially the nmr and ir experince at Imperial and well done on your grades. I agree, I think chemistry and maths doesn't have as strong an overlap as physics and chemitry but I am most interested in the pure maths, making this course ideal. Which specific pure maths modules did you pick? And how is the workload compared to A-level - how many hours more do you work and where do you go if you're stuck on some work? Thanks
Well I can only comment on the maths courses I did in 1st year, haven't done any since then. As I said, their content was essentially the same as that of A level further maths.

The workload is a lot greater than A level by a long stretch and you're expected to do a lot of the reading yourself, they won't spoon feed you. If you get stuck you can email the lecturers and arrange meeting with them, they're usually quite helpful :yep:

Thanks, you were of great assistance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending