The Student Room Group

Considering joining the RAF

I'm 23 and I've been considering the option of applying to join the RAF for about 12 months, reading up on the lifestyle and different opportunities that comes with it as well as possible trades that might suit me. I'm thinking of going to an AFCO in the next week or so to speak with someone there about it. I'm just wondering, how prepared do I need to be for this initial meeting? Is there anything I should be clued up on in particular before going? I don't want to embarrass myself at the first hurdle and I'm quite happy to admit at this point that I obviously don't know everything I need to know about being in the Armed Forces. What do I need to know before speaking to them?
Reply 1
Hey! What branch are you interested in? If you are seriously considering it, get yourself in a soon as, time is of the essence when it comes to the armed forces, and alot is based around your age. The first time you walk into an AFCO, they will ask you what you are interested in job-wise in their service and what sort of grades you have to see if you are eligable for whatever job you are looking at... You wont be judged on your initial meeting because its mainly for you to ask questions about them and get as much information as possible, don't worry you are not expected to be an expert in any sense. Obviously know what the RAF is about (protecting britains intrests, humanitarian aid etc.) but thats about it at this stage. If and when you apply is when you have to start genning up on knowledge about the service!
Hello

I would read up on possible trades you want to do because its likely they will ask you " What do you want to do in the RAF And why " its also useful to have some general knowledge on the armed forces as well
Reply 3
RAF have just put up their contracts so instead of 4 years nursing is now a minimum of 12 years so think about that when you apply

Quick Reply

Latest