The Student Room Group

Should I take an extra year?

hello there, I am a confused and lost AS student looking for some help. I really want to take a course in Architecture but I don't think that my current subjects are suitable for the skills I need (I do English lit, media and product design) and I'm thinking of dropping English next year and taking physics instead.

however I'm debating whether to stay for year 14 to complete the A2 for physics and to take some more useful AS subjects as this will maximise my knowledge and likeliness of getting accepted to the universities that I want yet I'm unsure whether it is worth the extra year in 6th form.

I know it's early to think about as I haven't even finished my AS levels yet but I want to know from early on what to aim for and what I want to accomplish because I want to be ready and prepared.

thanks for reading, sorry for rambling but I don't know what I should do next year
I would take a look at UCAS' search tool to find out exactly what you need. You may find some universities that only want to see your artistic ability, meaning you don't have to resit a year at all.
If it does come to that, however, I would potentially say dropping Media (although if you do WJEC, you could negotiate with your teacher to do a coursework essay on comic books and then draw a comic book as your production) and English and picking up Art Graphics, Physics and Maths would be most beneficial to you.
Reply 2
thanks very much for the help, I'm wondering now if it would be alright for me to drop media and English and take physics and maths yet only for the AS year. I have heard that you can combine 2 AS grades to make a full A level grade when applying and I'm unsure whether I can do this for different subjects as this would mean I would have much more scientific knowledge which would improve my course and my chances of being accepted.
Original post by Shweeden
thanks very much for the help, I'm wondering now if it would be alright for me to drop media and English and take physics and maths yet only for the AS year. I have heard that you can combine 2 AS grades to make a full A level grade when applying and I'm unsure whether I can do this for different subjects as this would mean I would have much more scientific knowledge which would improve my course and my chances of being accepted.

Funding rules mean that each year you have to have at least three new or continuing subjects, so see what your school say, but taking 1 A2 and 2 AS would qualify for student funding so you should be able to.

Some universities will accept 2 AS in lieu of a third A2, so if you only had 1 A2 and 4 AS you would probably not be accepted by many places (some universities will give a point offer without an A2 point requirement). If you had 2 A2's and 3 AS, say if you only dropped English and did Maths/Physics AS and Media/Product Design A2, you can get point offers as well as some universities accepting the 2 AS as an A2.

Your best position would be to take a third year at sixth form (although you may have to pick up another AS in the third year), and finish with 2 AS (English/Media) and 3 A2 (Product Design/Maths/Physics).

But having a look at some universities, this may not be needed at all, and in fact you'd be better off finishing your A-levels in two years and then taking an Art Foundation Diploma (taken in a year after A-levels). Many universities want to see a comprehensive portfolio, and I believe a Foundation Diploma is designed to do exactly that.

UCL - Architecture BSc
- no specific subjects + portfolio
Anglia Ruskin - Architecture BSc - no specific subjects + portfolio
UAL - Architecture: Spaces and Objects BA - no specific subjects, portfolio + Art Foundation Diploma
Bath - Architecture (with placement) BSc - Art-based A-level, Art/Science mix preferred
Birmingham City - Architecture BA - list of preferred subjects in link + portfolio - Art Foundation Diploma is accepted instead, provided an essay subject is taken at A-level

(that's just a random selection btw, UCAS has tons more)
Reply 4
Original post by loperdoper
Funding rules mean that each year you have to have at least three new or continuing subjects, so see what your school say, but taking 1 A2 and 2 AS would qualify for student funding so you should be able to.

Some universities will accept 2 AS in lieu of a third A2, so if you only had 1 A2 and 4 AS you would probably not be accepted by many places (some universities will give a point offer without an A2 point requirement). If you had 2 A2's and 3 AS, say if you only dropped English and did Maths/Physics AS and Media/Product Design A2, you can get point offers as well as some universities accepting the 2 AS as an A2.

Your best position would be to take a third year at sixth form (although you may have to pick up another AS in the third year), and finish with 2 AS (English/Media) and 3 A2 (Product Design/Maths/Physics).

But having a look at some universities, this may not be needed at all, and in fact you'd be better off finishing your A-levels in two years and then taking an Art Foundation Diploma (taken in a year after A-levels). Many universities want to see a comprehensive portfolio, and I believe a Foundation Diploma is designed to do exactly that.

UCL - Architecture BSc - no specific subjects + portfolio
Anglia Ruskin - Architecture BSc - no specific subjects + portfolio
UAL - Architecture: Spaces and Objects BA - no specific subjects, portfolio + Art Foundation Diploma
Bath - Architecture (with placement) BSc - Art-based A-level, Art/Science mix preferred
Birmingham City - Architecture BA - list of preferred subjects in link + portfolio - Art Foundation Diploma is accepted instead, provided an essay subject is taken at A-level

(that's just a random selection btw, UCAS has tons more)

thank you so much for the help, I might take the art diploma as I have heard that some universities don't like it when you stay for more than two years in sixth form. if I stay an extra year so that I can finish with 3 A levels that better suit my course instead of 3 A levels that aren't relevant would it hinder my chances of getting offers or am I better off dropping one of my subjects after AS and taking 2 more AS subjects so that I leave with 2 A levels and 3AS grades?
so, for example, if I drop English after my first year and take maths/physics is it worth taking the 3rd year to complete the full A level course so that I leave with 4A2s or should I apply after my second year?
Original post by Shweeden
thank you so much for the help, I might take the art diploma as I have heard that some universities don't like it when you stay for more than two years in sixth form. if I stay an extra year so that I can finish with 3 A levels that better suit my course instead of 3 A levels that aren't relevant would it hinder my chances of getting offers or am I better off dropping one of my subjects after AS and taking 2 more AS subjects so that I leave with 2 A levels and 3AS grades?
so, for example, if I drop English after my first year and take maths/physics is it worth taking the 3rd year to complete the full A level course so that I leave with 4A2s or should I apply after my second year?

Universities don't like extra years for two reasons:
1) If it's a popular course, someone who has resat a year is a good way to differentiate between candidates. This doesn't apply to you.
2) Typically, being able to study 3 A2's in the same year and achieve good grades is an indicator of how you'll cope at university.

But ultimately, it won't make much of a difference. Plenty of retakers and people with third years get into universities, and you're not necessarily locked out of good ones (but it's worth checking with places before you apply)

Personally, I feel that an art diploma will give you more choices for Architecture than a third year with maths/physics. I would do some research of your own on the UCAS search tool, looking at where you'd need a portfolio, and where you'd need maths/physics (in theory, this'll be whether you're getting a BA or BSc in Architecture, but it doesn't always hold true). Then you can start to look at universities you might want to attend, and what their requirements are, and thus where you'd want to do your third year.

Your other option could be to study maths or physics AS alongside your 3 A2's next year, or to study PD/Media A2 and the full A-level in Maths (if your school allows you to) next year.

Firstly, before making any decision, I would speak to someone at your school (maybe a careers advisor, or your head of year, or tutor), and see what options you have with maths and physics. It's also worth asking about art foundation years (the foundation diploma), to see if that's right for you.

Quick Reply

Latest