The Student Room Group

Do I help them?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anosmianAcrimony
My suggestion is that you ask to see their essay first, and maybe provide some edits and advice. That way, they get the benefit of your better understanding, but aren't tempted to copy your work.

So instead of showing mine, I could just make suggestions on theirs? That's a good way of going about it, thanks :smile: and they won't be offended if I say no to showing mine? When I say no, how would I word it without sounding rude?
Original post by Anonymous
So instead of showing mine, I could just make suggestions on theirs? That's a good way of going about it, thanks :smile: and they won't be offended if I say no to showing mine? When I say no, how would I word it without sounding rude?

You're welcome! I doubt they'll be offended if you show your willingness to help them. I'm not exactly sure how to word it, though.
Original post by Shadez
Well the first time I helped them was simply because we were from the same high school ( we was in first year college at the time) and they asked me for help and I felt some sort of comradery (lol I know but I was weird at the time (still am tbh :colondollar:))

The second time round I simply felt no obligation to help them and explained to them that they would have to help themselves, gave them some tips on how to do the homework/assignment and sent them on their way ! :biggrin:

But I 100% understand where your coming from about how it can sound like an excuse but sometimes you have to put yourself before others.
You could try when they ask you how it would be beneficial for you to help them and sort of hint at the fact that they're trying to use you.

About showing them the assignment if it's already been handed in them no problem however if it's not then maybe just give them hints and tips on how to do it. But I definitely wouldn't show them the full assignment.

I think it would not be a good idea to use excuses like 'working with another group' and so on simply because if you did the whole event may repeat itself and you would be back at square on. Best thing to do is set it straight now and tell them no.

damn I've wrote an essay

Lol, it was an interesting essay so don't worry :wink: ok, I am really bad at hinting things so that's out the window, lol. I think I might just give them suggestions for how to make improvements on their work then. This seems to be what most of you are saying. I really need to work on my ability to say no to people, just the idea of it makes me feel tense. All of this would be easy in a perfect world where everyone gets along well and happily but I just hate the idea that people can randomly turn on you just because they feel like it. I just hate dealing with negativity.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
You're welcome! I doubt they'll be offended if you show your willingness to help them. I'm not exactly sure how to word it, though.

I might have to be casual about it then because I don't want to feel like I'm obligated to help them every time.
Original post by TenOfThem
You are correct
Say no
Say thanks
Say you prefer to work alone

I hate myself since it's really hard to straight-up say no. I might just have to casually make suggestions really close to the deadline. That way I'll be helping a little but not so much because there's no time. It sucks because what you just wrote is pretty much the truth, I do prefer to work alone lol but I'm too much of a coward to say it.
I hate myself since it's really hard to straight-up say no. I might just have to casually make suggestions really close to the deadline. That way I'll be helping a little but not so much because there's no time. It sucks because what you just wrote is pretty much the truth, I do prefer to work alone lol but I'm too much of a coward to say it.

It is tough

Try avoiding the issue initially - but if they outright ask again you should just say no
Omg thank you! You've given me tips on how to handle them and what to say :smile: you're right, I'm not the confrontational type so these situations tear me apart. I wish I could sit there not caring about people being bitchy but I will have to start ignoring it (it will be hard though).

You would be surprised about how childish some people are even at uni, I was quite surprised myself thinking school days are behind me lol. I'll give you an example, there was a girl that went out of her way to help everyone in the last assignment. If someone had a question, she would be the first one to answer and suggest tips on improvement etc. After the results, this girl got a C and everyone was expecting her to get an A. Some of the girls (the ones I'm talking about) came up to me and said "I'm glad you got the A and not her". I was confused so asked if they disliked her. They just said no, she's just a know-it-all. I was quite shocked because I thought everyone was grateful to her for helping. I guess not...

You say it may be ok to show past assignment since they can't copy. What about the assignment I'm due to start now? I have a feeling they will ask to see it just before deadline so they can compare.

No problem! Good luck to you and for your assignment!

That is surprisingly petulant. I thought some of my coursemates were irritating, but at least it's not that pathetic. Poor girl :frown:

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't show them anything before the assignment. If they ask over Facebook or anything, just don't click the message (it'll say you read it), and then say "oh sorry, I wasn't online so I didn't see it" so it's too late by then. Basically, make any excuse if you feel uncomfortable saying no to them. Say you don't have a copy with you, you haven't printed it out yet etc etc. If they ask in person for you to send it electronically you can say sure and 'forget'. But don't give it to them at all, it could be difficult for you to prove that you produced the work originally. A lecturer could be lenient because there's a clear distinction between your quality and theirs, but you don't want to risk it.
Don't surround yourselves with these people. I'd say you were wrong if you just wanted to 'beat them' or wanted them to do badly, but your intention is right. You just don't want to be used or hurt, so definitely don't imo.
Original post by TenOfThem
It is tough

Try avoiding the issue initially - but if they outright ask again you should just say no

Thanks for your advice, it's appreciated :smile: I will initially avoid as much as I can and then go from there lol
Original post by sliceofcake
No problem! Good luck to you and for your assignment!

That is surprisingly petulant. I thought some of my coursemates were irritating, but at least it's not that pathetic. Poor girl :frown:

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't show them anything before the assignment. If they ask over Facebook or anything, just don't click the message (it'll say you read it), and then say "oh sorry, I wasn't online so I didn't see it" so it's too late by then. Basically, make any excuse if you feel uncomfortable saying no to them. Say you don't have a copy with you, you haven't printed it out yet etc etc. If they ask in person for you to send it electronically you can say sure and 'forget'. But don't give it to them at all, it could be difficult for you to prove that you produced the work originally. A lecturer could be lenient because there's a clear distinction between your quality and theirs, but you don't want to risk it.

Thanks, I need all the luck I can get :smile:

It looks like I'm going to have to be a master-avoider then lol. At least for now that looks to be the best option. Maybe then I can concentrate on my own problems instead of dealing with theirs. I've got a lot of stress in my personal life and this just adds to it.
Original post by vanillapod
Don't surround yourselves with these people. I'd say you were wrong if you just wanted to 'beat them' or wanted them to do badly, but your intention is right. You just don't want to be used or hurt, so definitely don't imo.

I'm not competitive in the slightest. In fact, when I got an A I didn't want to tell anyone but the girls kept asking me and I felt like I just had to tell them (another example of me not being able to say no, lol). It wouldn't have mattered anyway because the tutor ended up telling me about how brilliant my assignment was in front of the class and that pretty much humiliated me.

So in your opinion, it sounds like it is a case of being used?
I'm not competitive in the slightest. In fact, when I got an A I didn't want to tell anyone but the girls kept asking me and I felt like I just had to tell them (another example of me not being able to say no, lol). It wouldn't have mattered anyway because the tutor ended up telling me about how brilliant my assignment was in front of the class and that pretty much humiliated me.

So in your opinion, it sounds like it is a case of being used?

You know more than all of us. Go with your gut. It seems you have issues with self-confidence (and trusting yourself). Trust yourself!!
Original post by vanillapod
You know more than all of us. Go with your gut. It seems you have issues with self-confidence (and trusting yourself). Trust yourself!!

My gut tells me this is a case of using someone to benefit them. I will trust myself on this :smile: Thanks for the advice. I think I'm confident about myself only when it concerns me but when other people are added to the mix, well, that's another story lol.
My gut tells me this is a case of using someone to benefit them. I will trust myself on this :smile: Thanks for the advice. I think I'm confident about myself only when it concerns me but when other people are added to the mix, well, that's another story lol.

I used to be like that, hence why i know exactly where you're coming from. That way of life gets you trampled on a lot by people who really don't deserve a second look (not in a mean way, but life has so much to offer than these types of concerns!)

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending