The Student Room Group

Maths is a lonely degree?

Hi Guys,
I'm currently in the process of deciding whether I want to pursue Maths at university or not. I've spoken to two university maths undergrads and they both said something that concerned me slightly.

They said maths is quite a lonely subject because most of the time you spend long hours in silence on your own. Is maths a lonely degree?

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Zenith365
Hi Guys,
I'm currently in the process of deciding whether I want to pursue Maths at university or not. I've spoken to two university maths undergrads and they both said something that concerned me slightly.

They said maths is quite a lonely subject because most of the time you spend long hours in silence on your own. Is maths a lonely degree?

Thank you

I dont see how this would be different for a lot of other degrees. I don't do maths, i do physics, but if i wanted to spend all my time revising alone i could. instead i revise with a group of friends. i'm sure you could do the same.
Not at all.

I spend like 7 hours a day with my friends in either lectures or doing our assignments together.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zenith365
Hi Guys,

Thank you

It's a spiritual journey you must walk alone.

:biggrin:
Apart from further maths what is ideal for a maths degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mister man

Posted from TSR Mobile

physics, chemistry, economics
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doing a STEP paper or even practicing, even if you aren't applying to a uni requiring it (Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Warwick)
Alevels I'm gonna do are maths economics physics and computer science

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

STEP, AEA, physics, GCSE English.
Two maths undergrads don't represent the whole community of maths undergrads. Replying on two peoples' opinions out of a sample of thousands is extremely statistically insignificant conclusion, so I suggest you ask some more people, look at some texts and then make your own decision. From my experience, Maths is not a lonely degree which makes you put in long long hours all day. Just work hard enough and you'll be fine.. most people don't attend lectures, slack off which you can't do with maths and hence make this sort of judgement.

Quick Reply

Latest