The Student Room Group

Ear wax

I can tell I have got a lot of it in my ears and it's affecting my hearing. Tried olive oil ear drops. The pharmacist said they were for that purpose. But nothing really came out.

Has anyone ever had it cleared? Does it hurt?

Watched these videos on youtube of people getting it done and some had was in there the size of an almond. Honestly. I wonder how much is in there in my ears,
Original post by mali167
I can tell I have got a lot of it in my ears and it's affecting my hearing. Tried olive oil ear drops. The pharmacist said they were for that purpose. But nothing really came out.

Watched these videos on youtube of people getting it done and some had was in there the size of an almond. Honestly. I wonder how much is in there in my ears,

you may have glue ear :smile: I had it and it usually affects people in cold weather OR if you are recovering from a sinus cold. that's just one suggestion, but it's always worth going to the doctors, since when I had it I know that olive oil didn't help!

I was given sinus spray stuff (which worked and I used it when I had a cold and I could finally breathe) but the doctor said to me if it is recurring they could fit a grommet which drains excess fluid out.

I hope this kind of at least gives you an explanation as to what it could be, good luck :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by charlottelouise-
you may have glue ear :smile: I had it and it usually affects people in cold weather OR if you are recovering from a sinus cold. that's just one suggestion, but it's always worth going to the doctors, since when I had it I know that olive oil didn't help!

I was given sinus spray stuff (which worked and I used it when I had a cold and I could finally breathe) but the doctor said to me if it is recurring they could fit a grommet which drains excess fluid out.

I hope this kind of at least gives you an explanation as to what it could be, good luck :tongue:

Yeah I got an appointment. But I can tell it's wax and there's A LOT of it. I used q tips but was always scared that I'll end up hurting my ear drum.

Let's see what the GP says. I hope he sorts it out for me right there and then lol. Bet I'll be able to hear like cats and dolphins after that.
Try otex ear drops instead. The peroxide produces bubbles which break up the wax. Olive oil jst softens the wax.
Reply 4
Original post by mali167

What I do when my ears are bunged up is prepare a 1:1 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and glycerin. Just leave it in for as long as it takes - you should hear some really loud fizzing and maybe popping as it dissolves the wax.

Quick Reply

Latest