The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Drumming at Manchester University

I am a very keen drummer and have firmed Manchester for 2015 (not for a musical course). Obviously I can't have my drum kit in halls but I am keen to keep practicing. Is there a drum kit I can borrow or can I take my kit in a practice room? If I borrow one, do they rent the kit out if I made a band and had gigs in other places?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think the University offers this sort of thing, it was something I was kind of interested in but I couldn't find any info on it. You'd probably have to look into hiring equipment/rooms from a private company.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Although they're (in my opinion) not as nice to play, and i do love my real kit but have you thought about an electrical kit? they're much smaller and can be essentially folded into a corner and you can plug headphones in so wouldnt cause a problem noise wise? eliminates the need for renting a kit/room for practise/band practise and so only renting for gigs would obviously not be as much of an expense? probably worth looking into not sure entirely how much they cost etc. but then in the long run who knows could work out cheaper :smile:
Reply 3
Yeah I have actually already got an electric kit (because I've had trouble with neighbours in the past), which I could use for practice at uni... However if I did form a band I would much rather use an acoustic kit. I managed to find this information about drumming...
We do not rent out or let non-music students use our percussion room (due to our strict insurance policies on the instruments). However you may bring your kit into our practice rooms but you must be a music society member to be able to use our basement practice rooms (£25 for the whole year which includes free tickets to all of our concerts plus playing in our ensembles). Also in some halls they have music practice rooms where you can set up your kit or they have a very average maybe nearly broken kit, already in there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They don't seem to have one, I was part of the live music performance society and every drummer had to use one of those hollow box things.

Quick Reply

Latest