The Student Room Group

One-Way Ticket To Mars

So... All over the news today it's been announced that 5 British people have been short listed for that one-way ticket to Mars planned to go in 2024.

What is everyone's views on this?

I've been wondering all day what must go through people minds to want to go and do this. Their families basically have to say goodbye forever.

But what I don't understand is...... They are apparently going to regularly send supplies to them but they can't come back at anytime.

It's also amazing how it costs $20,000 per kg of weight 😯

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty incredible. They must be extremely brave people
It's never going to happen.
Reply 3
Original post by Captain Haddock
It's never going to happen.

Maybe people said that before we started going to the moon. They've already got a robot up there for testing so who knows? NASA wouldn't release news if it wasn't going to happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NatashaW93
Maybe people said that before we started going to the moon. They've already got a robot up there for testing so who knows? NASA wouldn't release news if it wasn't going to happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This isn't NASA's project. It's a Dutch company claiming they're going to make a reality TV show about people living on Mars.
Reply 5
Original post by Captain Haddock
This isn't NASA's project. It's a Dutch company claiming they're going to make a reality TV show about people living on Mars.

But it's NASA working with them. I didn't know they were making a reality TV show out of it... That's pathetic. Although I would probably end up watching it out of interest

Posted from TSR Mobile
But it's NASA working with them. I didn't know they were making a reality TV show out of it... That's pathetic. Although I would probably end up watching it out of interest

Posted from TSR Mobile

NASA isn't working with these scam artists.
SpaceX will be the first to get us to Mars not these clowns.
Reply 8
So... All over the news today it's been announced that 5 British people have been short listed for that one-way ticket to Mars planned to go in 2024.

What is everyone's views on this?

I've been wondering all day what must go through people minds to want to go and do this. Their families basically have to say goodbye forever.

But what I don't understand is...... They are apparently going to regularly send supplies to them but they can't come back at anytime.

It's also amazing how it costs $20,000 per kg of weight

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a great step for our species, even more incredible that a private company rather than the state is doing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because their a private company they need to milk it for all they can in terms of shows. If a billion tune in to see them land on Mars then the mission pays for itself.
Does anybody else think Dr Maggi Lieu ( one of the 5 British people shortlisted) is hot? I would totally go to Mars to fulfil her wish of being the first women to give birth on mars. :d
Original post by Rakas21
It's a great step for our species, even more incredible that a private company rather than the state is doing it.

Because their a private company they need to milk it for all they can in terms of shows. If a billion tune in to see them land on Mars then the mission pays for itself.

This company doesn't even have the funds, tech or knowhow to make low-earth orbit, let alone a manned mission to Mars. They're more likely to find themselves in a courtroom facing fraud charges than in space. Make no mistake, the first people on Mars will have been put there by NASA or ESA.
Reply 11
I agree it's unlikely to happen, but am very sad for everyone who wants to go. I know it would be exciting but I think you must have a pretty depressing life here on earth to want to go to Mars and never come back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending