The Student Room Group
Reply 1
v2006
Kings only score 4 in their research rating for computer science. Does that mean they are a bad department because of their low research rating or just they dont focus much on research?

I'd say the research rating is a fairly good indicator as to the quality of the department. 5 and 5* are what you should look for :wink:
Reply 2
v2006
Kings only score 4 in their research rating for computer science. Does that mean they are a bad department because of their low research rating or just they dont focus much on research?

I always overlooked the quality of research as an indicator to choose a uni. As an undergraduate, assuming you do not pursue a further degree, the factor most important is teaching quality. Even so, i wouldnt base any decision of a course on the quality assessments or individual subject league tables, as you could go somewhere crap that is just good for your subject. The fact KCL got a 4 may just mean that they arent botherd with research, it doesnt directly affect the quality of the department.
Reply 3
It also reflects how much money they've got as a department....
Personally I wasn't really bothered about research, just teaching. If you were a postgraduate, it would obviously be more important. KCL is a really good uni, and I doubt most employers know/care about individual subject ratings anyway.
Reply 5
People are right to say that teaching quality is critical for an undergraduate. The trouble is, it is now almost impossible to assess directly in advance of attending a university.

The QAA reports were detailed but are now several years out of date. They have been abandoned in favour of the National Student Survey http://www1.tqi.ac.uk/sites/tqi/start/. Problems with the survey are that:

some places don't participate (oxbridge, warwick & most scottish unis)

most students only have experience of one uni so have nothing to compare their own uni with

with some exceptions, unis are clustered tightly together i.e. their students rate them favourably

That's why the research rating is important. If you compare the departments rated 5*/5 with those rated top for teaching under the old QAA system, you'ff find that they were often identical. The idea that some unis were only good at research and some only good at teaching was a fallacy. Strong research goes hand in hand with good teaching. Reasons for this are fairly obvious:

high research rating means better funding, as already pointed out

cutting edge research means that passionate academics are passing on latest knowledge of their subject, often writing the textbooks rather than regurgitating them

high flying academics are attracted to departments with the best research ratings; departmental reputation is critical in building their career, networking and so on

So, research rating isn't the perfect way to judge the best places to study as an undergraduate but at least it is objective and enables you to differentiate. You also need to watch out for the letter after the number as it tells you what proportion of the department was assessed.

I'm learning from my own experience that, even in a highly rated department, teaching quality varies. The trick is to find the lecturers & tutors who can really open up their subject for you - and that's a highly personal thing.
Reply 6
So you are saying that kings has a fairly medicore computer science department as it only got a 4 rating in its research?
kellywood_5
Personally I wasn't really bothered about research, just teaching. If you were a postgraduate, it would obviously be more important. KCL is a really good uni, and I doubt most employers know/care about individual subject ratings anyway.

One could always apply for a different uni for postgraduate study...
Not at all. A high research score is almost useless to an undergraduate if his department can't teach. Those ratings are a load of rubbish anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending