The Student Room Group

Bristol or Edinburgh?

I have been offered conditionals to study Politics and Russian at both Bristol and Edinburgh. I havent yet visited Edinburgh but really liked Bristol when I visited. I am wondering if anyone knows pros and cons of each uni and which they'd go for generally. One thing to note is that Bristol offer AAB whilst Edinburgh offer BBB. As far as I am aware, the Russian department at Bristol is amazing and so is the politics but dont know much about Edinburgh as I havent visited to get a feel for the departments.

Thanks!
Original post by Rakinsayed
I have been offered conditionals to study Politics and Russian at both Bristol and Edinburgh. I havent yet visited Edinburgh but really liked Bristol when I visited. I am wondering if anyone knows pros and cons of each uni and which they'd go for generally. One thing to note is that Bristol offer AAB whilst Edinburgh offer BBB. As far as I am aware, the Russian department at Bristol is amazing and so is the politics but dont know much about Edinburgh as I havent visited to get a feel for the departments.

Thanks!

Not answering your question at all, just wondering when you got your offer from Edinburgh? I applied for French and Russian at Edinburgh (and Bristol as well, we might end up together!) and have been dying to hear back as it's my last one to reply!
Reply 2
Original post by cyrillics
Not answering your question at all, just wondering when you got your offer from Edinburgh? I applied for French and Russian at Edinburgh (and Bristol as well, we might end up together!) and have been dying to hear back as it's my last one to reply!

I heard back on Friday 😄 I'm sure you'll hear soon, where else have you applied/thinking of firming?
I heard back on Friday ������ I'm sure you'll hear soon, where else have you applied/thinking of firming?

applied for Durham, UCL and Manchester. Thinking of firming Manchester or Bristol but I'm really undecided!
Reply 4
Original post by cyrillics
applied for Durham, UCL and Manchester. Thinking of firming Manchester or Bristol but I'm really undecided!

I fell in love with the Russian department at Bristol and the Year Abroad opportunities. I hear Manchester Russian is so good too!
They are both equally good but I would shift my choice towards Edinburgh wholly because it is the best university in Scotland. Again, they both are good.
Reply 6
Original post by Raymat
They are both equally good but I would shift my choice towards Edinburgh wholly because it is the best university in Scotland. Again, they both are good.

Would you say they have a good international reputation?

Thanks for your response!
Would you say they have a good international reputation?

Thanks for your response!

They both have strong international reputation. Edinburgh is ranked 17th internationally while Bristol is ranked 29th internationally.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2014#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=
Reply 8
Original post by Raymat
They both have strong international reputation. Edinburgh is ranked 17th internationally while Bristol is ranked 29th internationally.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2014#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=

Yeah, Im pretty torn because the Russian department at Bristol was amazing and the Politics department at Edinburgh is great so really have no idea :frown: I like the fact bristol has more year abroad options in terms of Russian cities.

Its a good problem to have haha just would love to make a decision (I havent visited edinburgh yet but people tell me its amazing)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending