The Student Room Group

Would you ditch UK unis for a £4k uni education in the Netherlands?

The Telegraph has reported that 1 in 10 UK students will attend European uni's now that UCAS is providing students with the opportunity to apply via their application process.

They have reported that the cost to student could be a key motivation to apply abroad with the cost for university education in the Netherlands being £4000 on average (British students would pay this) in comparison to £27k in the UK. Some courses are also said to be taught exclusively in English

Would the substantial difference in cost motivate you to study abroad?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by She-Ra
The Telegraph has reported that 1 in 10 UK students will attend European uni's now that UCAS is providing students with the opportunity to apply via their application process.

They have reported that the cost to student could be a key motivation to apply abroad with the cost for university education in the Netherlands being £4000 on average (British students would pay this) in comparison to £27k in the UK. Some courses are also said to be taught exclusively in English

Would the substantial difference in cost motivate you to study abroad?

Do you still get a loan?
I think this is a great opportunity for British students. It's astonishing to think that we pay almost 7 times as much as we would if we studied abroad in somewhere like the Netherlands. The added bonus of many courses being taught exclusively in English will make learning abroad very tempting I reckon.
Original post by TenOfThem
Do you still get a loan?

No, you only get a loan if it's the placement year or an ERASMUS year. But the course fees are a lot more affordable at £1,500 a year. Of course there is still accommodation and living costs to consider....
Original post by She-Ra
No, you only get a loan if it's the placement year or an ERASMUS year. But the course fees are a lot more affordable at £1,500 a year. Of course there is still accommodation and living costs to consider....

Given living expenses students would probably need to find 10k a year - I do not think that is particularly affordable

I presume this is only whilst we are a part of the EU
Given living expenses students would probably need to find 10k a year - I do not think that is particularly affordable

I presume this is only whilst we are a part of the EU

10k sounds like a lot, but then I have no idea how much accommodation is abroad in comparison to how much it goes at the average UK uni.

This point is made in the Telegraph:

"His mother, Alison, a single parent who works in a school kitchen, said she would try to help Alec finance his studies, since he would not be eligible for a loan. She said: “My daughter is at Exeter where she’s paying £9,000 a year and when you compare that with the Dutch fees it’s an incredible saving.”

EDIT: UK students can apply for a tuition loan from the Dutch government.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by She-Ra
10k sounds like a lot, but then I have no idea how much accommodation is abroad in comparison to how much it goes at the average UK uni.

If people can afford the short term expense as opposed to the pay later approach then this is clearly cheaper

EDIT: are the terms as favourable as the UK loans?
Original post by She-Ra

EDIT: UK students can apply for a tuition loan from the Dutch government.

I believe people in Scotland can apply through SAAS to get a maintenance loan + grant for a select few EU universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Seek other EU countries where it is free. E.g Czech republic/Sweden CZ is very cheap, sweden not so much..
The Netherlands is a great place for UK students. Most people speak English, there are courses available in English, and it is considerably cheaper than England. I'm only coming to the UK from the Netherlands because over here you don't have the absolute top level universities like in England.
Original post by Tian1Sky
The Netherlands is a great place for UK students. Most people speak English, there are courses available in English, and it is considerably cheaper than England. I'm only coming to the UK from the Netherlands because over here you don't have the absolute top level universities like in England.

That's really interesting. Do you mind saying what you hope to study in England and where you have applied? In your opinion which uni's are the best in the Netherlands?
Original post by She-Ra
That's really interesting. Do you mind saying what you hope to study in England and where you have applied? In your opinion which uni's are the best in the Netherlands?

I'm going to study Chinese at Cambridge. (Also applied to Leeds, Durham (uncon. offers), Edinburgh and Heriot Watt (haven't heard back yet).) The thing with the Dutch uni's is that there isn't much of a difference in the level of their courses. There's only thirteen in the country, so I would advise looking at witch university is best for your particular subject, because that's where the differences are, not in the universities in general. It is also worth checking the cost of living for the city you want to go to. There are no halls of residence in Holland, so you have to find your own place. Particularly in Amsterdam that can be quite expensive. Hope this helps!
Original post by Tian1Sky
I'm going to study Chinese at Cambridge. (Also applied to Leeds, Durham (uncon. offers), Edinburgh and Heriot Watt (haven't heard back yet).) The thing with the Dutch uni's is that there isn't much of a difference in the level of their courses. There's only thirteen in the country, so I would advise looking at witch university is best for your particular subject, because that's where the differences are, not in the universities in general. It is also worth checking the cost of living for the city you want to go to. There are no halls of residence in Holland, so you have to find your own place. Particularly in Amsterdam that can be quite expensive. Hope this helps!

Wow - congrats and good luck at Cambridge :h: Nice work on the unconditional offers too, you must be thrilled.

Are there any websites which rank which uni is best for which courses in the Netherlands? That would be really helpful for UK students to know. That's very helpful regarding accommodation, I had no idea.
Original post by She-Ra
Wow - congrats and good luck at Cambridge :h: Nice work on the unconditional offers too, you must be thrilled.

Are there any websites which rank which uni is best for which courses in the Netherlands? That would be really helpful for UK students to know. That's very helpful regarding accommodation, I had no idea.

Thanks!

http://www.topuniversities.com/where-to-study/europe/netherlands/guide
This website should help. BTW, TU means technical university. Amsterdam has two universities, so don't get those mixed up. If you're going to be flying to Schiphol (most likely), the most accessible uni's are the Amsterdam ones, Leiden (good for languages and physics), Utrecht, and perhaps Delft (TU) and Rotterdam (good for economics). If you are willing to travel a bit further you can consider the others, Groningen, Maastricht, Nijmegen, Wageningen (good for agriculture and bio/chem subjects), Eindhoven (TU), Tilburg (economics (I think)) and Enschede (TU).
Reply 14
Yeah I'd do that - it'd be a lot of fun to study abroad. So long as the courses were in English and the prices were like the above. There are a lot of English speakers in the Netherlands too.
Original post by She-Ra

If you are going to study in the Netherlands, you may be eligible for a discount/free transport card. Worth checking that out.
I'm actually considering university in the Netherlands..It looks amazing!
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I'm actually considering university in the Netherlands..It looks amazing!

What subject are you considering? If this had been an option for me I think I would have considered it too.
Do you still get a loan?

Nope. The loan is for those who study here. The point is investing in the British uni system. So it would be pointless to pay for those who leave.
Too late now I've already applied. I wish you had posted this 5 months ago. Lol just kidding. I don't know if i'd consider it purely because of the language difference i wouldn't like to live in a country but i didn't understand the language even if uni course was in english I'd just feel like a tourist the whole time and i think it would be too much hassle to learn a language on top of studying for a degree

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending