The Student Room Group

Moving out of halls and in with potentially useless friends

Hi, I hope I am on the right page!

So I am very lucky to have gone to the same university as my boyfriend, we are in a long term steady relationship-(brief summary, started as friends, years later started seeing each other-he chose me over the Navy and went to university with me, going great! we were each others first significant others and his mum has already picked my wedding dress (cringey/ I'm never going to get married...) but I have no problem with that since I see us being together for a long time-he defo does!!)

We are first year students and currently live in Halls of Residence on campus; this has been a nightmare- I had to move because my first flatmates never left their rooms would never even say hello to me in passing, I invited them out many times-to quiet pubs and loud clubs (which I'm not necessarily a fan of!) and they said no every time. That's fine if they don't want to be friends that's okay with me! but then my stuff started going missing,...looking around the kitchen I started seeing my things in their drawers and then my things started going missing altogether; I guess that's part of student accommodation but that coupled with my course mates' stories of flatmate bliss going out all the time and bonding over wine and interesting convos started getting me down...oh and the state of the kitchen/bathroom which was beyond disgusting!

So I moved out and into my boyfriend halls (the corridor opposite his) ; I started hanging in his kitchen where the boys (who started very sweet) began making jokes about my **** and how if my boyfriend wasn't there they'd **** me up, trying to poke their head under the door when I was in the shower and take my clothes when I was in there, jumping out and scaring me late at night and spitting they were shouting so much at me for my asking them to turn the fridge up to avoid our food going off...anyway we started hanging around in my kitchen which is great! I am friends with all of them, we meet regularly for drinks etc. always checking each other got home okay etc. and all the boys but roses outside the girls' rooms on valentine's-very sweet....

thought you should know my context before I begin;
Moving in with my boyfriend my one acquaintance and his one acquaintance (can't really call them friends as only have known them a few months but im sure they will be in time) but they are open for chats, drinks, debates, the boy we are moving in with is a good laugh. I met the girl through a political interests...she started off being great fun-if a bit moral! :P

But then she started making jokes about sleeping with my boyfriend and how I should watch out...not sure if a misplaced joke so I asked her...she sent back 'course not :wink:' so i sent 'seriously i need to know if we are going to live together' she got really defensive and said 'I'd never do that to a friend, I think that's disgusting' and said she was very upset...I phoned her and she was crying saying she was upset with me but it was probably because she was too stressed (she uses this excuse every time there is a problem with any of us) ...anyway round about point is; my other option is to 'swap' her with my other friend who we didn't choose to move in with us purely because she didn't get back to us on time so we chose the other girl or my boyfriend and I can go it alone...coupled with the fact that she won't look for anywhere to live and makes excuses every time we go house hunting and says all the ones I find are awful/substandard and sends me big paragraphs of why they are bad choices when I do...

what do i do? give her the benefit of the doubt-she was very nice at first. Or give up and try something else?

Sorry for such a long thread,
thanks!!! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending