The Student Room Group

Is it worthy doing a management degree?

what are my chances of getting a job with a 2.1 in managment from a redbrick university?
Which degree is better Accounting, Management, human resource or French???

Posted from TSR Mobile
A lot of graduate opportunities mention that they accept degrees from all disciplines, but the reality is that, most of them don't.
They do check your degree against the role.

Management is quite a broad degree, so I would say it is acceptable if you still haven't made a firm decision in where you want to take your career. But, I would recommend you to do a more specific degree, to the line of work you want to go down.

If you want a job in Accountancy, or even Accounts Management, then do a degree in Accountancy.
If you want to be a translator or something like that, then, go ahead and do French.
If you want to be a recruitment consultant (good money!), then do a HR degree.
Just make sure you can relate your work back to your degree, and are able to show knowledge and interest about the job you are applying to, also ensure you are gaining experience wherever possible.

To put things into perspective, I recently had an assessment center with Atos for a Finance Grad Scheme which will then lead on to completing a CIMA or ACCA. I was successful in the recruitment process and have accepted an offer. I have a specific degree in Accounting & Finance (1st, but not redbrick). Almost all 11 other applicants had degrees in Accounting, with the exception of one guy who had a degree in Maths (1st) from a redbrick and another who had a degree in Economics (and a masters in Economics).

I feel that this is proof in itself that companies do look at the degree in relation to the degree subject. So I strongly recommend you to choose a degree in the field which you find most interesting, so try to be specific.

If you have already chosen your degree, but you feel that its not down your field, or that its to broad, then don't worry, I know plenty of people who have got grad jobs with an irrelevant degree, purely out of hard work, continuous applications, and good knowledge about the role itself. i.e. i know someone who is in a top 20 accounts firm studying ACA with a degree in Marketing! Hope that helps. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
my degree is in english literature and i accepted a grad job for deloitte in audit this year. That said though, i did get a few rejections at application stage from a couple of places and i think my degree could have influenced this. These places were smaller firms though.
Reply 3
Original post by Mohammad1993
A lot of graduate opportunities mention that they accept degrees from all disciplines, but the reality is that, most of them don't.
They do check your degree against the role.

Management is quite a broad degree, so I would say it is acceptable if you still haven't made a firm decision in where you want to take your career. But, I would recommend you to do a more specific degree, to the line of work you want to go down.

If you want a job in Accountancy, or even Accounts Management, then do a degree in Accountancy.
If you want to be a translator or something like that, then, go ahead and do French.
If you want to be a recruitment consultant (good money!), then do a HR degree.
Just make sure you can relate your work back to your degree, and are able to show knowledge and interest about the job you are applying to, also ensure you are gaining experience wherever possible.

To put things into perspective, I recently had an assessment center with Atos for a Finance Grad Scheme which will then lead on to completing a CIMA or ACCA. I was successful in the recruitment process and have accepted an offer. I have a specific degree in Accounting & Finance (1st, but not redbrick). Almost all 11 other applicants had degrees in Accounting, with the exception of one guy who had a degree in Maths (1st) from a redbrick and another who had a degree in Economics (and a masters in Economics).

I feel that this is proof in itself that companies do look at the degree in relation to the degree subject. So I strongly recommend you to choose a degree in the field which you find most interesting, so try to be specific.

If you have already chosen your degree, but you feel that its not down your field, or that its to broad, then don't worry, I know plenty of people who have got grad jobs with an irrelevant degree, purely out of hard work, continuous applications, and good knowledge about the role itself. i.e. i know someone who is in a top 20 accounts firm studying ACA with a degree in Marketing! Hope that helps. :smile:

Thankyou :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Vistlair
my degree is in english literature and i accepted a grad job for deloitte in audit this year. That said though, i did get a few rejections at application stage from a couple of places and i think my degree could have influenced this. These places were smaller firms though.

Did you get 2.1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by sadgirl24/7
Did you get 2.1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

on track to get it
Reply 6
on track to get it

Good luck :smile:
You did any work experience or study abroad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Good luck :smile:
You did any work experience or study abroad?

Posted from TSR Mobile

nope, just worked for a year on a market stall and took exec positions in a sports club.
what are my chances of getting a job with a 2.1 in managment from a redbrick university?
Which degree is better Accounting, Management, human resource or French???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your chances of getting a job are to do with you, not with the degree or university. However, some degrees add more value to you are a prospective employee, and some open more doors to jobs than others.

Accountancy and French are generally considered stronger and more flexible degrees than Management and HR.
Reply 9
nope, just worked for a year on a market stall and took exec positions in a sports club.

Thats cool :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending