The Student Room Group

Why would anyone vote Labour?

Okay I'm deadly serious, it really baffles me. The Tories are planning to reduce taxes so people earning under £12,500 a year don't have to pay any and they're reducing taxes in general. Labour are planning to increase taxes and also increase benefits, encouraging the "something for nothing" culture that half of Britain sunk into when they were last in power. The conservatives are planning to increase apprenticeships and reward those who are hard working, decreasing unemployment of 18-21 year olds (which increased massively while labour were in power).
Oh and to top it off, Labour are planning to tax inheritance money, that's right, they're taking money from family members of people who have died...
In the past, yes, the conservatives have been less supportive of the poor but if you actually research them properly you'll see that they're realistically the only ones who can save Britain's economy...
And lets not forget that it was the Labour government that started the Iraq war, and allowed scandals such as the Rotherham child abuse to pass them by...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As a compromise could a Tory-Labour coalition work? Any thought?
Reply 2
Hmm I don't know, they clash in too many areas, there'd probably be a civil war since they've always been rivals!
Reply 3
Original post by shiva300
Hmm I don't know, they clash in too many areas, there'd probably be a civil war since they've always been rivals!

Ideologically speaking that is correct. A leftwing ideology won't mix well with a right wing ideology but I do believe that if they set aside their differences and cooperate as humans, as people (which they are) great things can be achieved. Too much pride and pettiness in politics at the moment, there just needs to be that human element and that desire to actually want to improve the country rather than partake in the 'punch and judy' politics we see today!
I'd rather vote for Tories.
Greens, anyone? Superior policies in most areas.
Reply 6
Original post by Gazzaaa
Ideologically speaking that is correct. A leftwing ideology won't mix well with a right wing ideology but I do believe that if they set aside their differences and cooperate as humans, as people (which they are) great things can be achieved. Too much pride and pettiness in politics at the moment, there just needs to be that human element and that desire to actually want to improve the country rather than partake in the 'punch and judy' politics we see today!

Yeah I agree in some ways! The only issue is that Labour caused so many unforgivable problems while they were in power (in my opinion) I don't see how anyone can think that them being in power in any way would be a good thing
Reply 7
Original post by olivervick
Greens, anyone? Superior policies in most areas.

I don't really know much about the Green party if I'm honest! I just had a look at their website which wasn't much help, they don't seem to explain what they plan to do, just what they want to achieve...
Reply 8
Yeah I agree in some ways! The only issue is that Labour caused so many unforgivable problems while they were in power (in my opinion) I don't see how anyone can think that them being in power in any way would be a good thing

Well in defence of Labour here, I certainly do concede that in the past they have made some major cock ups but stigmatising the current leaders and MPs would be unfair. Miliband is a whole different person to Blair or Brown and perhaps he should be given a chance. Then again, if he disappoints it will be a long wait until the next General Election (2020)...
Labour and Conservatives (of the present day) are both centre right wing anyway. It's about what colour tie you prefer nowadays.
Reply 10
voting labour is just silly
Reply 11
Original post by Gazzaaa
Well in defence of Labour here, I certainly do concede that in the past they have made some major cock ups but stigmatising the current leaders and MPs would be unfair. Miliband is a whole different person to Blair or Brown and perhaps he should be given a chance. Then again, if he disappoints it will be a long wait until the next General Election (2020)...

Yeah I guess you're right, maybe they have learnt from the party's previous mistakes... But just from reading all the information on both their websites etc. I can only see The Tories actually making a positive difference
I don't really know much about the Green party if I'm honest! I just had a look at their website which wasn't much help, they don't seem to explain what they plan to do, just what they want to achieve...

I totally agree with you, they're terrible at getting their policies out there. Here's a nice way that they're summarised and compared :smile: Free uni fees included whoop whoop!
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29642613
Yeah I guess you're right, maybe they have learnt from the party's previous mistakes... But just from reading all the information on both their websites etc. I can only see The Tories actually making a positive difference

And to be perfectly honest life (for me) has been perfectly fine over the last 5 years so wouldn't really mind as much if the Tories stay in power. Might have to emigrate to Australia if UKIP come into power though haha
Greens are the only real left wing party in my opinion. Labour is too centre left. And the reason some people don't vote Torries is because of their socio-economic status whereby Torries are seen to favour only the rich and blame the poor for their situation and give the rich tax breaks and believe that wealth can trickle down, when in reality when the global recession occurred the rich got richer but the poor got poorer. So as you can see, most people aren't really rich and don't like them. Also they raised tuition fees and as students most of whom, have to pay it back, and not by their parents up front, hate that.

It's your call who you vote for, i'm neutral, i'm just stating the reasons why.
Reply 15
Original post by olivervick
I totally agree with you, they're terrible at getting their policies out there. Here's a nice way that they're summarised and compared :smile: Free uni fees included whoop whoop!
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29642613

Okay, The green party have a few good points, however they would literally break this country, people would have no work ethic whatsoever, they encourage unemployment, stop people from wanting to make a lot of money since it would all be stolen off them in tax... I don't even know where to start, if they came into power I would move country! lol there are no words
Reply 16
Original post by Guren
Greens are the only real left wing party in my opinion. Labour is too centre left. And the reason some people don't vote Torries is because of their socio-economic status whereby Torries are seen to favour only the rich and blame the poor for their situation and give the rich tax breaks and believe that wealth can trickle down, when in reality when the global recession occurred the rich got richer but the poor got poorer. So as you can see, most people aren't really rich and don't like them. Also they raised tuition fees and as students most of whom, have to pay it back, and not by their parents up front, hate that.

It's your call who you vote for, i'm neutral, i'm just stating the reasons why.

I have to admit, the rise in tuition fees is the one thing that I can't get to grips with with the tories (although, Labour did introduce them in the first place) Surely all parties should be encouraging people to extend their education rather than putting them off! But overall The Tories win over Labour every time for me
I have to admit, the rise in tuition fees is the one thing that I can't get to grips with with the tories (although, Labour did introduce them in the first place) Surely all parties should be encouraging people to extend their education rather than putting them off! But overall The Tories win over Labour every time for me

Bedroom tax, cutting money for the disabled and youth services? NHS reorginsation worth billions which most NHS staff hate. I could go on.
I guess because it's all they know and they feel it's deciding the lesser of two evils. Some view voting for smaller parties as a waste of time but it's that attitude is why we never get real change.I wouldn't vote either Labour or Conservative given their track record of lying. People will likely vote one or the other into power next election though...
Reply 19
Vote UKIP

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending