The Student Room Group

Relevancy in sex ed

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Do you have any articles on the research done into asexuality? I'm intrigued

I get what you're saying and you're right, it's difficult to charaterise everyone into set orientations because of like you said the vast spectrum of human emotion.

I'm not saying that all asexuals are saying it's genetics but more so that's how their brain functions and no factors influenced in their lifetime.

The brain is a mysterious organ :holmes:

From my own experiences, I would disagree that environmental factors had no effect on my orientation- or at least my expression of it.

However, I feel that people do show their sexual/romantic preferences early on, whether consciously or subconsciously, but it's a matter of whether a situation/trigger in a persons life has allowed them to accept and express their attraction, rather than suppress it.
I understand that this is not the case for many people, again, it is based on my and my friends experiences, so is mildly bias :tongue:

As for articles on asexuality, I'm afraid there is not much, asexuality was only really recognised as an orientation in the 1970s. Some argue that it is in fact a disorder, I managed to find a few articles (some of which were a little vague), but if you are further interested, I might advise looking into it yourself...

http://asexuality.weebly.com/scientific-research.html
http://fap.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/04/20/0959353512443668.abstract?rss=1
http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/gpr/10/3/241/
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/bering-in-mind/2009/10/29/are-there-asexuals-among-us-on-the-possibility-of-a-fourth-sexual-orientation/

Yes, the brain is a baffling creature :dontknow:
Original post by Monument14
From my own experiences, I would disagree that environmental factors had no effect on my orientation- or at least my expression of it.

However, I feel that people do show their sexual/romantic preferences early on, whether consciously or subconsciously, but it's a matter of whether a situation/trigger in a persons life has allowed them to accept and express their attraction, rather than suppress it.
I understand that this is not the case for many people, again, it is based on my and my friends experiences, so is mildly bias :tongue:

As for articles on asexuality, I'm afraid there is not much, asexuality was only really recognised as an orientation in the 1970s. Some argue that it is in fact a disorder, I managed to find a few articles (some of which were a little vague), but if you are further interested, I might advise looking into it yourself...

http://asexuality.weebly.com/scientific-research.html
http://fap.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/04/20/0959353512443668.abstract?rss=1
http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/gpr/10/3/241/
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/bering-in-mind/2009/10/29/are-there-asexuals-among-us-on-the-possibility-of-a-fourth-sexual-orientation/

Yes, the brain is a baffling creature :dontknow:

I sort of agree... but you can't know this until you reach sexual maturity surely? I think freud's research would be useful here. Interesting... so you're saying it's always been there but it might be being suppressed due to societal pressure?

Thanks for the articles, I'll have a read later on. Yeah it's quite a new concept I guess
Does anyone think that there should be compulsory discussions on sexuality and gender identification in sex ed classes- cause I don't know what I would have done without tumblr and youtube

If it supports heterosexuality, the family
and marrying / having families within ones own community, and traditional values then yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
I sort of agree... but you can't know this until you reach sexual maturity surely? I think freud's research would be useful here. Interesting... so you're saying it's always been there but it might be being suppressed due to societal pressure?

Thanks for the articles, I'll have a read later on. Yeah it's quite a new concept I guess

Although you cannot really know for sure until you reach sexual maturity, many homosexuals, bisexuals etc recognised that there were signs indicating their preference early on which, in hindsight, were subconscious signs of their orientation.

The theory that an orientation is suppressed may be in high frequency (but is not exclusive to) amongst bisexual/pansexual teens, as often I have been told that I am greedy, manipulative, perverted or just confused because I am attracted to more than one sex/gender.

If I hadn't been supported by my friends, I may never have come to terms with who I was and accepted my orientation, rather than suppressing the 'less desirable' (ie attractions to the same sex) sensations that I feel.

Again, not saying that this is infrequent amongst other LGBT+ groups, just look at 'conversion therapy'.
Although you cannot really know for sure until you reach sexual maturity, many homosexuals, bisexuals etc recognised that there were signs indicating their preference early on which, in hindsight, were subconscious signs of their orientation.

The theory that an orientation is suppressed may be in high frequency (but is not exclusive to) amongst bisexual/pansexual teens, as often I have been told that I am greedy, manipulative, perverted or just confused because I am attracted to more than one sex/gender.

If I hadn't been supported by my friends, I may never have come to terms with who I was and accepted my orientation, rather than suppressing the 'less desirable' (ie attractions to the same sex) sensations that I feel.

Again, not saying that this is infrequent amongst other LGBT+ groups, just look at 'conversion therapy'.

Interesting.... in that case do you think it must be programmed within their brains before they were born?

That's good to hear you had support, it's so much easier when you can accept who you really are
Reply 25
Interesting.... in that case do you think it must be programmed within their brains before they were born?

That's good to hear you had support, it's so much easier when you can accept who you really are

I'm not sure if I would say programmed necessarily, there's evidence for and against orientation being a genetic or environmental characteristic. I wouldn't go so far as to say a persons orientation is pre-determined, however, I do believe that a persons preference can be affected by a combination of hormonal, genetic and social factors.

Orientation is very complex, and a persons interpretation of it is subjective, some knew their orientation- or at least subconsciously knew it- from a young age, whilst others would still identify as questioning throughout their teens into adulthood.

The fact it has become more socially accepted to be something other than the straight majority has affected young peoples view of their sexuality, as if homosexuality was still taboo, most gay people would be confined into a psychiatric ward and subjected to various therapies to 'cure' them.
The social acceptance of sexuality as a spectrum allows people to enact on hormonal impulses to have relationships with the opposite, same, or multiple sexes without being criticised as much as they would have been 20 or so years ago. Rather than suppress these emotions and to try to conform to the 'respected straight norm'.

As for genetics, I am still unsure on that aspect, it has been proved that gay people share similar genetic make-up, it only accounts for a 40% for the person to be homosexual. And if this was the case, other sexualities may be viewed more disparagingly than they are now.

None of this is intended to insult or be in any way derogatory to straight people- sorry if it came off that way :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by Déscartés
Sorry for the dumb question but are demi sexuals attracted to everyone as in if they establish a deep romantic relationship with someone of the same sex?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Demi sexuals can be attracted to which ever gender they have a preference to- so they could be straight, gay, bi, pan etc, it's just how they are attracted to them which means they are in the asexual umbrella :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending