The Student Room Group

I kinda lied about my ethinicty??!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by a_shabba
dude, you're 17, she's not your soulmate believe me you will meet plenty of other people that you will like just as much maybe more, also dont just drop the bomb, say it in a way that wont make you seem like an idiot, eg.
you: Hey, this is kinda embarrassing but i should get this off my chest, remember when i first talked to you and said i was a catholic and latino, i was trying to make myself sound cooler, im actually mixed race and muslim, with all the stuff in the news, i didnt want you to dislike me before you even knew who i was, i'm really sorry that i made that up.

BOOM a_shabba providing amazing advice yet again

edit: whilst writing this i thought you were a guy, so this might not actually help you, my bad

Sigh. Being a guy is so much simpler especially in these kind of situations:L
Side note.

I think you should actually just get yourself checkout ..you know, by a professional..

You've even lied on this thread? Who are you? Seriously? Do you even know?

First you were a guy asking about a girl

Now it turns out you are actually a girl talking about a guy...

Seriously? Do you think by switching genders they would somehow not notice?
Reply 62
Original post by Anonymous
Okay just so we get this clear - he knows I am a girl xD and we have seen each other on video chat so i am pretty sure he is not a black Muslim and he is in fact a white irish guy. The fact he is irish also makes it worse since, they are not very diverse over there:L I dont think hes racist though...

I am DEFINITELY telling him that I am a convert and it was only recently done by my whole family, for the Christmas thing I will just say that my Family's relatives still celebrate it so we do too.

I can totally twist the convert lie to my advantage - this is great! Yes another lie, I know:frown: This whole incident is a story in itself:P I really hope he does not find this thread somehow... but if he does at least its only pretty much explained and out in the open:L

You guys will deffo get a part 2 of this to see how the results went :biggrin: I shall tell him this week (next month depending on my mood) that I am actually a convert and in the mist I shall also tell him that I am an Afro Arab. Do the 2 things mix? No but thats okay, I have a new found courage thanks to you guys!

Seriously though what would YOU do in this situation???????

*Expect a "i cant believe he left me" post*

What would I do in this situation? Hmmmm well like I said I don't believe in the whole soul-mates thing. But if I were in your shoes I would just tell him, saves a lot of agony and worry.

In all seriousness the faster you do it the better. I believe it's exam season soon and your going to need every bit of concentration and effort you have to hit top grades. Whilst the whole latino thing won't necessarily have a giant impact on your life (other than not to lie in a relationship lol), your grades potentially could

Can't wait for part 2 :biggrin:

Ps: I said convert but I meant revert just me being pedantic
Original post by MaseratiJay
Side note.

I think you should actually just get yourself checkout ..you know, by a professional..

You've even lied on this thread? Who are you? Seriously? Do you even know?

First you were a guy asking about a girl

Now it turns out you are actually a girl talking about a guy...

Seriously? Do you think by switching genders they would somehow not notice?

You know I have actually been told to visit my local GP to get myself checked, I am also genetically destined to have a mental disorder but that is nothing to do with this issue. In fact this is the only time I have ever said this issue/problem out loud (through the internet) and it has helped me quite a bit :biggrin:

Yeah sometimes I dont even know who I am sometimes... Switching genders seemed like a good idea at the time but thats how this always starts:L Good idea and then turns to a disaster:P

Oh man Am I one messed up human... :L
Reply 64
Just show her this post, all will be good then...
Original post by Shadez
What would I do in this situation? Hmmmm well like I said I don't believe in the whole soul-mates thing. But if I were in your shoes I would just tell him, saves a lot of agony and worry.

In all seriousness the faster you do it the better. I believe it's exam season soon and your going to need every bit of concentration and effort you have to hit top grades. Whilst the whole latino thing won't necessarily have a giant impact on your life (other than not to lie in a relationship lol), your grades potentially could

Can't wait for part 2 :biggrin:

Ps: I said convert but I meant revert just me being pedantic

I totally agree, its like ripping a band aid off! Yes me letting it all out will relieve a lot of stress and I can focus better on studying instead of spending hours on TSR trying to GAIN advice. Although if he does not take it nicely then that will triple my stress ;L OR I can think of it as if he does not take it nicely then I can take a break from him and the internet and STILL focus better on my studying. So both ways are good >.<

I shall tell him tomorrow, I will say I have 2 things to tell you - one thing I should have told you from the time I met you (race) and another thing that happened pretty recently that I haven't mention yet (revert).

I think the hardest part is going to be telling him how I googled majority of that stuff to do with Latino's and the language Spanish that I got a B at in GCSE :L I KNOW! I shall tell him that I DO have a Latino cousin and thats where I got all my information from!! Oh my gawd, I am a genius.

I am also a compulsive liar.

SERIOUSLY THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP. Invaluable I tell you. INVALUABLE!
I totally agree, its like ripping a band aid off! Yes me letting it all out will relieve a lot of stress and I can focus better on studying instead of spending hours on TSR trying to GAIN advice. Although if he does not take it nicely then that will triple my stress ;L OR I can think of it as if he does not take it nicely then I can take a break from him and the internet and STILL focus better on my studying. So both ways are good >.<

I shall tell him tomorrow, I will say I have 2 things to tell you - one thing I should have told you from the time I met you (race) and another thing that happened pretty recently that I haven't mention yet (revert).

I think the hardest part is going to be telling him how I googled majority of that stuff to do with Latino's and the language Spanish that I got a B at in GCSE :L I KNOW! I shall tell him that I DO have a Latino cousin and thats where I got all my information from!! Oh my gawd, I am a genius.

I am also a compulsive liar.

SERIOUSLY THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP. Invaluable I tell you. INVALUABLE!

Don't make up more lies to get out of this one! :facepalm:

If you really care for this guy you should be honest.
My boyfriend initially led me to believe he was Jewish (his father's side of the family is), and it was his grandmother who eventually told me he wasn't. I'm not religious and I don't really care either way, but it was upsetting because I felt like he was trying to hide (what he considered to be) relevant information so that I would stay with him.

Since it's early days, this guy might just ditch you if he finds out that a load of stuff you told him isn't true. Get it over with and tell him the truth as soon as possible.
It's a risk (everything is), but he should understand about you lying early on when nothing was serious. Plenty of people lie on the internet, and (as unfair as it is), the fact you are a girl may work in your favour. Just say

'I'm so sorry, but I have to confess that I wasn't quite honest about my ethnicity. I didn't think it would matter - I didn't realise we would ever meet. It's often difficult to explain the fact that I am Arab-African, and being Latino sounded cool. However, I have really come to care about you, and I wish I had just been honest.'

Basically, everything you have told us (except the compulsive liar part).

And then, whatever you do, don't tell him another lie. If he finds out you've lied again, no matter how small, he's not going to trust you. Just be completely honest. Good luck. :smile:
Definitely make your ethnicity clear to her when you meet up. Explain to her that you didn't mean to life, just got a bit nervous or smth. I am sure she will understand. But definitely don't let the lie grow bigger than it already has.
Do not tell her, if a guy had lied to me about something so small but quite personal at the beginning I would question a lot of what you told me. Just tell her like you've never lived there, it's a distant gene and you see yourself as English. I am half German and when people ask I honestly say that as I've not lived there since I was a young child.
Okay so I have been talking to this girl for a couple of months and we met online and we have gotten really close and we video chat and text and email etc And from the beginning when I met her, I told her I was Latino when I'm really not and I google translated a few words and googled the culture etc and so she just believed me. Its never come again but after these few months, we have been talking about meeting up cause we both live in the UK, just different areas and I'm scared she'll realize when we do meet up.

I have literally told her everything about me including pretty personal stuff and the only thing that I have lied about is my ethnicity. The topic has never come up with her questioning it except at the beginning when she noted I look a little "Indian" which I'm not. If I tell her now "by the way I'm not Latino", I feel she might get freaked out or be really offended if I tell her AND since its online, I wont know what she's feeling. But at the same time I dont really want to tell her when we meet up cause thats just wrong for many reasons. Like a mini version of catfish.

I legit believe she is my soulmate but I feel if I tell her that I have lied about my ethnicity for all these months, she might like me less or change her opinion on me. She's white btw. She knows what I look like since we have video chatted and I don't know how I got away with being Latino but I guess white people don't take that much interest like "black, brown or white" to them. Sorry thats stereotypical... okay anyway. I'm actually mixed race between Arab and African (afro arab) but I look more Arab. Again I am not sure how I got away with being "latino" but I did so now what.

Don't ask me WHY I lied because I truly do not know, and I did not realize I would actually get so close with this girl. HELP. What would you do if a boy you liked told you that they lied about their ethnicity? What would you do if a girl you liked told you that they lied about their ethnicity??

LOL you joker I assume this was an attempt to make yourself less generic and special.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There's only Juan way to find out what will happen.....
Don't make up more lies to get out of this one! :facepalm:

If you really care for this guy you should be honest.

A smaller lie will cure the bigger one. Me having a Latino cousin is not THAT significant of a lie since he will never meet my cousins. Surely. I do care which is why it is EATING ME ALIVE O.O
Original post by Maestosa
My boyfriend initially led me to believe he was Jewish (his father's side of the family is), and it was his grandmother who eventually told me he wasn't. I'm not religious and I don't really care either way, but it was upsetting because I felt like he was trying to hide (what he considered to be) relevant information so that I would stay with him.

Since it's early days, this guy might just ditch you if he finds out that a load of stuff you told him isn't true. Get it over with and tell him the truth as soon as possible.

But I guess this is more of what I didn't tell him than what I did right? I mean one of things that makes us so close is that we are REALLY open and honest. So now that could be all destroyed by this one TINY thing:L Yeah I am hopefully telling him today...
Original post by Octohedral
It's a risk (everything is), but he should understand about you lying early on when nothing was serious. Plenty of people lie on the internet, and (as unfair as it is), the fact you are a girl may work in your favour. Just say

'I'm so sorry, but I have to confess that I wasn't quite honest about my ethnicity. I didn't think it would matter - I didn't realise we would ever meet. It's often difficult to explain the fact that I am Arab-African, and being Latino sounded cool. However, I have really come to care about you, and I wish I had just been honest.'

Basically, everything you have told us (except the compulsive liar part).

And then, whatever you do, don't tell him another lie. If he finds out you've lied again, no matter how small, he's not going to trust you. Just be completely honest. Good luck. :smile:

I don't want to make it as a "confession" because it shows that it IS a big deal and I am trying to make it one of those 'minor' details that I forgot to mention. If I say "I wish I had been honest" it shows that I was not honest and that could mean he questions everything...

I hope he understands and your right about the whole internet thing I mean I cant be perfect can I?xD I'm gonna use a smaller lie to destroy my bigger lie, its the only way I can sound sane! The convert thing and the latino cousin thing - 2 small lies >.< Now he will NEVER find out about those 2 things :biggrin:

Completely honest will make me sound like a lunatic, I mean just look at how you guys see me xD
Original post by robthehero
Definitely make your ethnicity clear to her when you meet up. Explain to her that you didn't mean to life, just got a bit nervous or smth. I am sure she will understand. But definitely don't let the lie grow bigger than it already has.

I think I'll tell her(him) online and not in the actual meet up which is likely to be in a years time anyway...
Original post by Golland19
Do not tell her, if a guy had lied to me about something so small but quite personal at the beginning I would question a lot of what you told me. Just tell her like you've never lived there, it's a distant gene and you see yourself as English. I am half German and when people ask I honestly say that as I've not lived there since I was a young child.

Now I'm scared... This lie is something that is pretty big and cant be brushed off with another lie like "distant gene" or "English". You're right, I have this awful feeling he is going to start questioning everything:L
Original post by Rugar Rell
LOL you joker I assume this was an attempt to make yourself less generic and special.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not at all! Being Afro Arab is something that is not generic and can be considered special. Latino was just cause I wanted to try something different, I mean it is the internet and I did not realize it would last for more than an hour :frown:
Original post by Groot
Because the harsh reality is that race / ethnicity makes a difference to some extent in some people's minds. I made a thread about race here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3150579.

Oh I understand your thread now. It's sad but people like to do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending