The Student Room Group

Blood tests tomorrow...

Right well I got a few blood tests tomorrow to determine why i go dizzy, just wondering how much they will take how long it will take and does it hurt? I'm getting nervous bout it cos a mate told me they take half a pint to a pint of blood and I thought that was for donating blood. Any id4eas? is there anything i need to particularly have before hand? Thanks any help welcome.

Scroll to see replies

It hurts a little bit, like an injection. And generally they take very little. In and out in 5 minutes sort of thing. Some of them are "no eating" for 24 hours before hand, but you'll have known that if it was. Seriously. It's not biggy. i've have about 6 and they've never been bad.
Reply 2
The needle pricks a bit going in and is in you for around 30 seconds or less. Nothing to worry about at all.
t'isn't scary, nice and quick, they only take a little bit of blood
Reply 4
things is needles scare me a bit :frown: and with what my mates have told me they take a lot one says half a pint another said 100 ml just so confusing:frown:
A little prick is all you will feel. It might help if you look away when the insert the needle.
Depends how many tests they're going to run - you have different containers for the blood for different tests (e.g. full blood count, biochemistry, immunology). But it's probably not going to be a huge amount.
They dont take a pint or even half so don't worry about that, they just fill a syringe that is about the length of your longest finger(presuming we have similar size hands :p: ) it doesn't hurt when it goes in but you can feel it, you feel a slight uncomfortable sucking motion then a bit of pain when they pull the needle out then it's all over, they usually make you sit for 10mins to check you feel fine as well, so it doesn't matter if you do feel a bit ill after you are still in the doctors to be well looked after. Longest and worst part is usually sitting waiting for your name to be called:rolleyes:
They definately do not talk half a pint. Definately.
Reply 9
Your friend is a dumbass. I had one the other day it lasts like 10 seconds per tube.

I've never been kept for 10 mins after. Sounds a bit odd!
Reply 10
Half a pint of blood? I dont think so, I think your friend is having you on!! :biggrin:

You'll be fine, if you have a good nurse that distracts you while shes doing it it wont hurt at all, if you're worried tell the nurse first, they'll make you feel more at ease. Basically they just put something round your arm so they can see the vein then insert the needle, then ocassionally they take a few different tubes of blood- this doesnt involve removing/reinserting the needle, they just swap the tubes round that theyre using to collect the blood. Then thats it, it'll be over before you know it!

You'll probably have a tiny bruise for a few days after and the inside of your arm might feel a bit sore but thats it!

Hope everything goes ok! :smile:
Reply 11
Very often they'll pop the needle in, then bung on a couple of very small vials that fill up. A blood test shouldn't take ANYWHERE near as much as a blood donation. When you donate blood they take two small blood tests before they even start taking the blood anyway!

I'd suggest you make sure you eat plenty and drink plenty of water if you get dizzy. If you do feel dizzy, let them know :smile:
Reply 12
The reason they doing the tests is to determoine my dizzyness and my blackouts. I go dizzy to regularly and have normal bp so they asked me in for tests. Makes me worry a bitgrrrrr but just thinking if it will have much affect cos i have a course a little while after that. Just its freaking me out:frown: first tine been doctors in eleven years they tel me they need to take a blood test say i might be diabetic and mutter all sorts under their breath don't make you feel too comfortable bout it.
Reply 13
I just mean, sometimes people get dizzy when they have blood taken.

:smile:

(the last time I gave blood I fainted :redface: doh)
Reply 14
:frown: god i hate needles:frown::frown: just hope they use my right arm:frown::frown::frown: my left arm is not ummmm suited for it at the moment:frown::frown:
Reply 15
oops i only ever fainted once due to dizzyness. must be pretty bad if they want blood for it and it ain't to do wit bp. so they scaring me:frown:
Reply 16
I think you can express a preference re: arm choice.
Reply 17
God thats relkieving my left arm really sore at moment:frown: would rather even out the pain that is if there is any because trapped arm in door and really hurt really irritates.
It's nothing scary, I'm very familiar with the nurses at my practice with the amount of bloods I've had done hehe. At most, they'll take the equivalent of a couple of teaspoons of blood. If you're worried you may feel dizzy, just tell her and she'll let you lie down (at least that's waht they did for me). Also, let her know that you're worried about needles. She'll reassure and tract you, and if you're the sort of person that panics when it comes to needles, they can usually give you a tablet to calm you.
Reply 19
dont worry about it spog :hugs: :smile:

i had a blood test a few days ago and it did hurt a lil, just a little :smile:
just look at the the time or the wall, dont worry ypu'll do fine
good luck xx

Latest

Trending

Trending