The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Geography - GEOG3 (15th June 2015)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Megan44
Hello!
In AS I achieved a C in Unit 1, and an A in unit 2. Giving me a B overall.
This year I'm studying:
Plate tectonics
Ecosystems
Development and Globalisation.

I find it really hard to revise for Geography! I haven't even started this year. I regret taking Geography as I don't really enjoy it, but I need at least a B grade now to get into uni. How do you lot structure your Geography revision? Last year I just had a mass of revision cards, which probably wasn't the most effective way of doing it.
Any tips or advice would be so appreciated!

I do the same units as you. We have almost finished all the units and out the 3 development and globalisation is the most difficult, there is so much detail which is ridiculous. Ecosystems and plate tectonics are more straight forward and easier to revise for I think.
Reply 41
From looking at past papers over the last couple of years has anyone got any guesses on what might be likely to be asked for this year?
I'm doing Plate Tectonics, World Cities and Conflicts and Challenges.
I've heard there are 3 year cycles of questions - has anyone else heard the same thing?
Original post by twison1
From looking at past papers over the last couple of years has anyone got any guesses on what might be likely to be asked for this year?
I'm doing Plate Tectonics, World Cities and Conflicts and Challenges.
I've heard there are 3 year cycles of questions - has anyone else heard the same thing?

Where did you hear that?

I am not sure what is going to come up, but looking at the plate tectonics specification AQA have asked pretty much everything in respect to 40 mark essays, so go over them if you're doing that essay.
Reply 43
Original post by Claire.08T
Where did you hear that?

I am not sure what is going to come up, but looking at the plate tectonics specification AQA have asked pretty much everything in respect to 40 mark essays, so go over them if you're doing that essay.

Apparently questions do repeat, but I haven't heard of cycles. In terms of weather and climate my teacher is very certain that storms (depressions or cyclones) will come up as a 40 marker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natalierm2707
Apparently questions do repeat, but I haven't heard of cycles. In terms of weather and climate my teacher is very certain that storms (depressions or cyclones) will come up as a 40 marker.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I have never heard of cycles either. How does your teacher know that? :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by Claire.08T
Yeah, I have never heard of cycles either. How does your teacher know that? :smile:

She has just looked at what has come up previously. She doesn't know 100% that it will, but because it hasn't come up for a while she thinks it could do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
She has just looked at what has come up previously. She doesn't know 100% that it will, but because it hasn't come up for a while she thinks it could do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok, that's very helpful! Thank you :smile:
How likely do you guys think the great storm might be on the section A this year? Or depressions or synoptic charts or anticyclones or the tricellular model? I really hope these will be on it because so far I find these pretty easy. But there's so much to learn for weather.
Reply 48
Just wandering if anyone else's school teaches 4 topics? We've been taught Tectonics, Weather and Climate, Conflict and Challenges and World Cities - I don't know whether to revise them all or drop one?? Also I'm not doing great on 40 markers, so any advice/exemplars would be greatly appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 49
Original post by sarahlou17
Is anyone doing Contemporary Conflicts and challenges because i am really struggling with it -I got a B last year and am hoping to push it up to an A by retaking GEOG2 but have no way of remembering any case studies etc in conflicts section ( am also doing World cities and weather and climate). Thanks!

I'm really struggling with conflict and challenges aswell! what case studies have you done? :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by geogbio
Just wandering if anyone else's school teaches 4 topics? We've been taught Tectonics, Weather and Climate, Conflict and Challenges and World Cities - I don't know whether to revise them all or drop one?? Also I'm not doing great on 40 markers, so any advice/exemplars would be greatly appreciated :biggrin:

I know most schools only do 3 as they see it as pointless teaching another topic when it will never be assessed, also some schools argue that it gives students less motivation as they are learning something for no reason, and in the exam it gives students too much of a decision to make as to what questions to do, and wastes valuable time.

But honestly I would drop the topic you find the hardest to do and focus your revision on the other three in the aim of just doing them three in class. from what I have heard Tectonic, Weather and World cities is often the easiest combination.

In terms of the 40 markers its all about practice, you need some constructive criticism on some essays to be able to understand how you can improve. My school gives us exemplar essays for each of the ones we complete, and they are useful but because the essays are so wide open they often would not be what you would write in the exam, so although they show you how the essay is best written, they don't help you with the knowledge for your essay, if that even makes sense.
Reply 51
Yoooooo people! This is gonna be fun!

Has anyone got a basic plan/structure they follow when writing the 40 markers? In the mock I got an A in the sections but a C on the essay, they're tough. Feel like there's no structure and I just write and write until I run out of time and forget to write a conclusion. and what should the conclusion be? The strongest point or an overview of the entire essays points and a balanced conclusion?
Reply 52
Original post by Katie97
Yoooooo people! This is gonna be fun!

Has anyone got a basic plan/structure they follow when writing the 40 markers? In the mock I got an A in the sections but a C on the essay, they're tough. Feel like there's no structure and I just write and write until I run out of time and forget to write a conclusion. and what should the conclusion be? The strongest point or an overview of the entire essays points and a balanced conclusion?

We were given a way to write the essays in class...

Firstly write an introduction, here you should define any words in the question which often can include describing how these things form (especially with volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis in plate tectonics) as well as introducing the case studies you will be using to explain your points.

then decide whether you agree or disagree with the question if it is one of those types, and choose to write about 4 paragraphs each on different aspects but always backing up your point... you dont have to write just four paragraphs, but I would always focus on no more than 4 key ideas as it will just not have enough detail. at the end of each paragraph you should always bring it straight back to the question and explain how what you just said relates back to it.

for the conclusion we are always told to do a quick summary of whether we agree or dissagree, or give an overveiw of our findings, but never repeat anything you have said in the previous questions as it doesnt score highly, we are told if we want to put something in then make sure its just a general thing, and my teacher says that a twist in the last paragraph always looks good.

so for example, we did a question about whether it is only the poorest which are affected by seismic hazards.

introduction: define siesmic hazard with examples, explain how earthquakes form and why, introduce boxing day 2004 tsunami and japan 2010 tsunami and explain that a tsunami is a secondary seismic hazard.

Paragraph 1: social impacts

Paragraph 2: Economic impacts

Paragraph 3: Environmental impacts

Paragraph 4: whether community preparedness (or lack of) leads to more/less deaths

Conclusion: I concluded that it wasnt just the poorest effected... but I will paste my conclusion in here so you can see what one can look like.

"In conclusion, it is apparent that seismic hazards can affect people and areas regardless of their economic development. MEDC’S do loose people, see lower productivity and incur huge amounts of environmental damage, yet they often recover incredibly quickly and thus it could be argued that a greater level of economic development could reduce the impact of seismic hazards, and could also help to quickly rebuild after disasters. Yet although LEDC’s lose a larger proportion of people as it can be argued that they are less prepared technologically, it could also be inferred that poorer people, specifically in rural regions, often deal with struggles such as disease, poor water supply and famine on a regular basis, and so are better adapted and equipped to survive incidents like these, allowing many to survive these disasters. Hence I believe that it is not always the poorest people which are the greatest affected by seismic hazards, many of the rich are affected just as greatly, yet in different ways."

Hope this helps!!!

Firstly write an introduction, here you should define any words in the question which often can include describing how these things form (especially with volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis in plate tectonics) as well as introducing the case studies you will be using to explain your points.

then decide whether you agree or disagree with the question if it is one of those types, and choose to write about 4 paragraphs each on different aspects but always backing up your point... you dont have to write just four paragraphs, but I would always focus on no more than 4 key ideas as it will just not have enough detail. at the end of each paragraph you should always bring it straight back to the question and explain how what you just said relates back to it.

for the conclusion we are always told to do a quick summary of whether we agree or dissagree, or give an overveiw of our findings, but never repeat anything you have said in the previous questions as it doesnt score highly, we are told if we want to put something in then make sure its just a general thing, and my teacher says that a twist in the last paragraph always looks good.

so for example, we did a question about whether it is only the poorest which are affected by seismic hazards.

introduction: define siesmic hazard with examples, explain how earthquakes form and why, introduce boxing day 2004 tsunami and japan 2010 tsunami and explain that a tsunami is a secondary seismic hazard.

Paragraph 4: whether community preparedness (or lack of) leads to more/less deaths

Conclusion: I concluded that it wasnt just the poorest effected... but I will paste my conclusion in here so you can see what one can look like.

"In conclusion, it is apparent that seismic hazards can affect people and areas regardless of their economic development. MEDC’S do loose people, see lower productivity and incur huge amounts of environmental damage, yet they often recover incredibly quickly and thus it could be argued that a greater level of economic development could reduce the impact of seismic hazards, and could also help to quickly rebuild after disasters. Yet although LEDC’s lose a larger proportion of people as it can be argued that they are less prepared technologically, it could also be inferred that poorer people, specifically in rural regions, often deal with struggles such as disease, poor water supply and famine on a regular basis, and so are better adapted and equipped to survive incidents like these, allowing many to survive these disasters. Hence I believe that it is not always the poorest people which are the greatest affected by seismic hazards, many of the rich are affected just as greatly, yet in different ways."

Hope this helps!!!

What was the question for this? :smile: thanks xx
Reply 54
Original post by Bunny2014
What was the question for this? :smile: thanks xx

It was an actual exam question yet my teacher adapted it just for seismic hazards...

"the hazards presents by earthquakes have the greatest impacts on the worlds poorest people" discuss to what extent you agree with this statement.
It was an actual exam question yet my teacher adapted it just for seismic hazards...

"the hazards presents by earthquakes have the greatest impacts on the worlds poorest people" discuss to what extent you agree with this statement.

Oh i see, thank you XX
Reply 56
hey everyone:smile: so i got 104/140 in geog 1, and 44/60 in geog 2 so a B overall, i have 300 point offer from queen mary to study geography- need a B overall! :bricks:

Does anyone know of any good revision resources, like concise notes... there is so much to learn for weather its slightly overwhelming :eek:
"To what extent are NICs and the BRICS the driving force behind globalisation"please can someone give me a hand on what to write?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I prefer doing human 40 mark essays because there is so much more you can talk about! You can talk about different social/economic/environmental impacts and also evaluate and assess different points which mean that you can write about a lot of different stuff. Whereas for the 25 mark questions physical is better because it is mainly about knowledge and the technical side of things (the 8 mark knowledge dump) and its easier to write about physical processes and landforms than having to explain human processes imo.

Hope this helps!!!

I like your plan but I would've probably focused more on how wealth and development would reduce the natural hazard and vulnerability of the population. Having three paragraphs on impacts is a lot and the question isn't really asking for the impacts.

I would've done one paragraph about the impacts of seismic hazards, one paragraph about why poorer people are more vulnerable to those impacts and hazards, and one paragraph why development and wealth reduce those impacts and hazards. In addition to this, have one paragraph about how seismic hazards also affect wealthier countries (e.g. Japan)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending