The Student Room Group

old law students

hi i was just wondering to all the people that have started law on average how much does it cost to buy all your text books? per year? how many text books on average do you have per year? is it quite easy to buy old text books? or do you need the "new edition" after each year? many thanks in advance and sorry if they seem really silly questions was just wondering for next year

Scroll to see replies

I bought about 10 or 11 textbooks in my first year and 4 statute books and the average price is between 30-60 pounds, (statute books are cheaper, about 15 pound each) it's not absolutely essential to buy a load of textbooks as long as you make the most of the library but it's always useful to have your own copies especially of the key recommended texts. I'm in my 2nd year now and so far I've bought 3 textbooks and 2 statue books although there is a few more that I want to invest in, just can't afford them right now.
As for buying old books, I know that Blackwells sell 2nd hand law books at a cheaper price but really, the more up to date a book is, the better it will be for you as even the most up to date books are out of date before long due to the ever changing nature of law. Some books have companion websites though i.e. you can go online and there will be updated information that you can download, that isn't featured in the book.
Reply 3
Most statute books go out of date in a year or two but you need them for the exams, depending on the course. Textbooks usually have a shelf life of a couple of years more than that but fast-moving areas of law might be less. Blackwells sell second hand books, most Law Societies arrange a book fair and students sell them independently though posters on notice boards, etc. Speak to 2nd & 3rd years to find out whether that core text the lecturer demands you buy is really necessary, but take with a pinch of salt if they're trying to sell their old copy to you!
Reply 4
Definitely make sure you have the newest edition, but don't rule out buying 2nd hand books, as new editions of most books don't come out every year (except statute books). I bought many of mine from Ebay last year and saved loads of money - pretty much the only ones I bought new were the ones with brand new editions just out that weren't available 2nd hand yet.
I would guess that I spent £250-£300 a year at Hull. You should see my bedroom. My mum has a thing about housing law books :frown:
I was just shocked by the estimate of 10-11 books in FIRST YEAR at an average of 30-60!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a horrendous amount.

As for statute books, how many Acts have ppl dealt with which are newer than about 2003? Personaly I don't reemmber any, and see no need to have the absolutely newest statute book if you can pick up the 1-2 year old one cheaper, it just seems like publishers making a quick buck by including an irrelevant statute.
Reply 7
LauraWalker
I would guess that I spent £250-£300 a year at Hull. You should see my bedroom. My mum has a thing about housing law books :frown:

Me too, the purchase value of my textbook collection must be about 1200; I've got textbooks, casebooks, statute books, random journal-type books that I had to order from America for my dissertation, research guides, law dictionary....... :rolleyes:
Of course its worth about 1p now its pretty much all out of date!

Personally it was worth it at the time; I commuted so worked from home loads and loads, I was always at least an hour away from the library. So it was well worth it to me :smile:
Importing from USA, now that's commitment!!
Reply 9
Lewisy-boy
Importing from USA, now that's commitment!!

And written by an English woman! Written about studies done in Wakefield! :rolleyes:
But I scoured the net and bookshops and the only place I could get it from was the US! There is no logic to some things in life, and I feel this is one of those things.
Maybe the Americans are avid fans of Wakefield... :wink:. The UK shuns it, there has to be SOMEWHERE ppl like it! lol
I do three modules per semester, and for each Law module I will buy the textbook (£20-30), a cheap second hand extra reference book, a Q&A book and a statute book if necessary - so about £50 per module per semester, or £300 per year.

I buy a lot of my books these days from Amazon marketplace - love it!
Yep worth the commitment if your at home hey Ellewoods unless u fancy a naffy grade :wink:

Just plan ahead unlike me. U can probably get them cheaper if u don't just rush to the university book shop everytime that you need something.
Also campus bookshops like Blackwells have some sort of student card system running throughout the year, which can help save a few quid.
Also, Waterstones have a 10% off offer for students throughout either September or October.

I cannot believe that statute books cost as much as they do. All they are is a cut and paste from Lexis Nexis and they cost the same (or more) as most textbooks :eek: . How preposterous :frown: :s-smilie:
statute books are only like 12-15 quid, wtf textbooks are you buying, or where... I wanna know!!! EU was expensive though, purely because it's a big 'un.
Errrrr...may be I have got it wrong or in the alternative I get textbooks very cheap...they are in either case still very expensive.

Damn you Lewisy-boy.
Yeah I know, Prof Gravells stood up and was like "but this statute book, it's exactly the same as this one ... but I edited it".
Hello all,

I spent roughly £200 per year on my books.

The main thing I bought for each subject was the core reccommended textbook. If the exam permitted only statutes - i would also buy the statute book. If the exam was totally open book - then I'd get the statutes online. - come exam time I'd print off the (by now - annotated) statutes and take them in along with my own notes.

Casebooks are such a waste of money. Much cheaper to search the cases on LexixNexix/Westlaw, download them in Word doc and simply search the phrase you're looking for.

I also bought those Q&A book around exam time in the first year. Didn;t bother after that, since answers in those books were often strucutured differently from the way we'd been taught, which often only confuses u more.
You had open book exams, omg soft.
Not soft at all.. Open book exams are deceptive. There's only so much *paper-flicking* you can do.

Latest

Trending

Trending