The Student Room Group

Summer rearing it's head...

When I was little I used to love summer but over the years I've had disappointment after disappointment and it has left me anxious when it's approaching. It reminds me of occasions where my friends didn't invite me on holiday, or when I was younger and didn't do anything because we were too poor. It just brings up a lot of negative emotions. Is there anyone else who doesn't feel so massively excited or maybe even a little depressed when they realise it dawns on them it's approaching? I dunno what to do about this mindset I know it's really negative but I can't help it :frown:

All posts welcome not necessarily just people who feel the same.

Scroll to see replies

This doesn't apply to me but I have a couple of friends who feel like that :smile: - did you know this thing has a name? It's apparently called seasonal affective disorder (SAD) and affects a lot of people, so you're definitely not alone. I can also see why you're not too keen on it, because of the experiences you've had over the years.
Reply 2
Original post by sabinaraus
This doesn't apply to me but I have a couple of friends who feel like that :smile: - did you know this thing has a name? It's apparently called seasonal affective disorder (SAD) and affects a lot of people, so you're definitely not alone. I can also see why you're not too keen on it, because of the experiences you've had over the years.

Thanks :smile:, I thought seasonal affective disorder mostly affected people in the winter? As in depressed in winter due to lack of sunlight...
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks :smile:, I thought seasonal affective disorder mostly affected people in the winter? As in depressed in winter due to lack of sunlight...

Yeah, the winter season affects more people because of lack of sunlight (and this can mostly be treated with proper lighting), so it is commonly associated with this disorder, but it happens in the summertime as well. Don't have any idea of what the treatment for that is, though :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Original post by sabinaraus
Yeah, the winter season affects more people because of lack of sunlight (and this can mostly be treated with proper lighting), so it is commonly associated with this disorder, but it happens in the summertime as well. Don't have any idea of what the treatment for that is, though :rolleyes:
Maybe some kind of therapy that deals with the negative associations I'm making
can't wait for Summer... what is not to like ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbajf_rHzys
It's been two days of mild weather. ffs clam down.
Reply 7
Original post by the bear
can't wait for Summer... what is not to like ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbajf_rHzys
If anyone's gonna bring me round to the idea it'll probably be cheery old Cliff.
Reply 8
Original post by KingStannis
It's been two days of mild weather. ffs clam down.
Whatever old man, go fishing
If anyone's gonna bring me round to the idea it'll probably be cheery old Cliff.

who can remain sad when the Peter Pan of Pop is in the house ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0QuLjr9wkc
Original post by the bear
who can remain sad when the Peter Pan of Pop is in the house ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0QuLjr9wkc
pft haha got more than I bargained for there
I wonder if the thread will be moved to Chat so that OP can't post anonymously anymore?
Original post by shawn_o1
I wonder if the thread will be moved to Chat so that OP can't post anonymously anymore?

Would you like that/why would you like that?
Would you like that/why would you like that?

Well it doesn't have anything to do with relationships. It's more to do with Mental health though that forum isn't as popular, but at least you can post anonymously there
(So yeah, move it to Mental health :redface:)
Original post by shawn_o1
Well it doesn't have anything to do with relationships. It's more to do with Mental health though that forum isn't as popular, but at least you can post anonymously there
(So yeah, move it to Mental health :redface:)
it's more of a relationships/chat/mental health I thought it's best to stick it here. But we'll see.

Your opinion on summer?
When I was little I used to love summer but over the years I've had disappointment after disappointment and it has left me anxious when it's approaching. It reminds me of occasions where my friends didn't invite me on holiday, or when I was younger and didn't do anything because we were too poor. It just brings up a lot of negative emotions. Is there anyone else who doesn't feel so massively excited or maybe even a little depressed when they realise it dawns on them it's approaching? I dunno what to do about this mindset I know it's really negative but I can't help it :frown:

All posts welcome not necessarily just people who feel the same.

Shut the **** up and live in the moment op :smile:
it's more of a relationships/chat/mental health I thought it's best to stick it here. But we'll see.

Your opinion on summer?

I get to go out more often :smile:
Original post by holmes221
Shut the **** up and live in the moment op :smile:
I bet you swim in money though don't you
Bump
I get very down in summer too, I hate warm weather :angry:

I like gloomy, miserable, cold days.

Quick Reply

Latest