The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should young people be forced to join the military?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Blue_Mason
I say it would be a good idea to send a percentage of unemployed competent young people to join the military or have their welfare money stopped.
Do any of you guys agree?
And I do not just mean being on the front lines but speaclist training and roles will be filled.

Because national service was such a good use of resources last time?
Nope. David Camerons pledge to force those on benefits to work is too authoritarian for me.
Citizen service maybe, but I hear it's crap in Singapore who have rolled it out for years. So maybe not.
Well the military isn't going to want it for starters. They're an professional force where every member has voluntarily signed up, they're not going to want a bunch of kids that are there against their will. It costs money to train soldiers, why would the military waste resources on someone who doesn't want to be there?

This is of course ignoring all the moral and legal implications for coercing people to go to warzones where they could well get killed (or alternatively make them very jaded against their own country whilst simultaneously training them to kill). Especially as from the gist of this thread it seems that these hypothetical soldiers are just going to be getting benefits money and not a soldiers wage, I'd tell the government to **** off with that suggestion.

Either way this is a monumentally terrible that neither the public, the government or the military would actually want in place.
(edited 9 years ago)
No, I don't think it's a good idea. We don't need to encourage more people to go to war.
Reply 65
And give the unemployed chav mugging me military training? No thanks :tongue:

But seriously, I disagree with military service on principle. However I could benefit some people, so an optional form could be useful. I have some friends who did national service in singapore, they seemed to think it was ok but it has delayed their careers by a couple of years.
Reply 66
maybe they should join cadets etc, and that might persuade them to join the military
Reply 67
Forced??

sure No
Original post by Quady
Because national service was such a good use of resources last time?

nope but it can be improved.

Original post by lucaf
And give the unemployed chav mugging me military training? No thanks :tongue:

But seriously, I disagree with military service on principle. However I could benefit some people, so an optional form could be useful. I have some friends who did national service in singapore, they seemed to think it was ok but it has delayed their careers by a couple of years.

Do not think so low of the unemployed youth.

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Nope. David Camerons pledge to force those on benefits to work is too authoritarian for me.

Authoritarian rule would be beneficial to those that need a kick up the backside.

Original post by dani t
maybe they should join cadets etc, and that might persuade them to join the military

I agree.

Why can I not start a topic without being insulted?
(edited 9 years ago)

Authoritarian rule would be beneficial to those that need a kick up the backside.

Stalin thought so too.

David Cameron also adopts the natural rate of unemployment view as well. He wants 2million unemployed people. There will always be unemployed people. but why not get cheap slave labour for your chums whilst you are at it?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Stalin thought so too.

David Cameron also adopts the natural rate of unemployment view as well. He wants 2million unemployed people. There will always be unemployed people. but why not get cheap slave labour for your chums whilst you are at it?

The days of barbaric dictatorship have long gone.
It is sad that we have a bunch of able bodied youngsters that can be given a chance to succeed their talents.
The government is not doing enough to get more young people into work and it is not slavery if youre getting paid above a legal wage.You also have the freedom to find another job or pursue education.
You criticize and complain but do you any ideas to tackle such an ongoing probelm?
Absolutely not. This would not solve anything.

All you would be doing is taking skilled people who actually want to be in the military and surrounding them and even replacing them with people who do not want to be there.

The sheer ignorance and lack of thought of the consequence of this astounds me.
Should young (male) people be forced into armed service in exchange for the right to claim benefits? Well, in the perfect egalitarian society of Finland that is the case, and I am a victim of that system (the authorities would lock me up should I refuse to do my service). I can guarantee you that the productivity of my service is below reasonable. Right now I am just basically lying on my berth all day long for the training is poorly organised, the enlisted personnel (professional NCOs who are in charge of the daily matters) are not motivated to do their job well and focus primarily on vexing us.

How long does this service last? The answer is 347 days, which effectively postpones my uni studies by one year. I have already gained admission to a prestigious UK uni so for me this whole service is a joke. I "earn" less money during my service than a convicted rapist, let alone an unemployed person.

And here comes the fun part: only males have to serve in the military whereas females have no duty of whatsoever. This means I will lose an estimated £35000 because of my service. Seems fair to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by valaistunut
Should young (male) people be forced into armed service in exchange for the right to claim benefits?
And here comes the fun part: only males have to serve in the military whereas females have no duty of whatsoever. This means I will lose an estimated £35000 because of my service. Seems fair to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is shocking . Don't have any feminists in Finland to look out for men's rights?
If that happened here in the UK there would be feminist by the thousand marching on the Government demanding equality between the genders. Seriously.
Why do you think they have spent 50 yrs trying to equalize the retirement age.....Oh no.....wait.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 74

Do not think so low of the unemployed youth.

I think it is probably a case of "most unemployed youths are not muggers, but most muggers are unemployed youths" :tongue:
Reply 75
I say it would be a good idea to send a percentage of unemployed competent young people to join the military or have their welfare money stopped.
Do any of you guys agree?
And I do not just mean being on the front lines but speaclist training and roles will be filled.

Absolutely not! It should be scrapped all together, how absurd.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 76
Some of these unemployed young are incapable of tying their own shoe laces. You want to give them a gun..?
Original post by caravaggio2
That is shocking . Don't have any feminists in Finland to look out for men's rights?
If that happened here in the UK there would be feminist by the thousand marching on the Government demanding equality between the genders. Seriously.
Why do you think they have spent 50 yrs trying to equalize the retirement age.....Oh no.....wait.

Conscription has a long tradition here, and majority of both sexes (women more so...) have the notion that if my nation was to abolish armed service for men Russia would just roll over us. This narrative has even gained more footage with the advent of the ongoing conflict in Ukraine

By Finnish standards I am quite a libertarian and of the opinion that the whole conscription system is very ineffective as it cuts men's career wages by a considerable amount while giving not so much in return at a neither individual nor social level. Moreover it violates my individual liberty in addition to the economical harm...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by valaistunut
Should young (male) people be forced into armed service in exchange for the right to claim benefits? Well, in the perfect egalitarian society of Finland that is the case, and I am a victim of that system (the authorities would lock me up should I refuse to do my service). I can guarantee you that the productivity of my service is below reasonable. Right now I am just basically lying on my berth all day long for the training is poorly organised, the enlisted personnel (professional NCOs who are in charge of the daily matters) are not motivated to do their job well and focus primarily on vexing us.

How long does this service last? The answer is 347 days, which effectively postpones my uni studies by one year. I have already gained admission to a prestigious UK uni so for me this whole service is a joke. I "earn" less money during my service than a convicted rapist, let alone an unemployed person.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No but they should be forced to join whislt earning a legal wage for at least a minimum of six months.
Those who are able to pursue education should be exempt.

Original post by A5ko
Some of these unemployed young are incapable of tying their own shoe laces. You want to give them a gun..?

No

Original post by NHM713
Absolutely not! It should be scrapped all together, how absurd.

Why would it Ned to be scrapped?
Original post by SophieSmall
Absolutely not. This would not solve anything.

All you would be doing is taking skilled people who actually want to be in the military and surrounding them and even replacing them with people who do not want to be there.

The sheer ignorance and lack of thought of the consequence of this astounds me.

I could guarantee that it could reduce youth unemployment.
A six month trained placement in the military an absurd idea?
I do not plan on getting every unemployed person to join the military.
Ignorance would be ignoring such problems or punishing young people for being unemployed.
Reply 79
I could guarantee that it could reduce youth unemployment.

So would killing them, doesn't mean it's the right way to go about it.

Latest

Trending

Trending