The Student Room Group

Working well below minimum wage, please help.

Hi guys, first of all thanks for reading my post.

Right, so as stated in the title, I'm currently working on £3.50 an hour at a takeaway, and trust me it's not an easy job, it's nasty,dirty and just not for me.

I'm want to find a proper job, however in july in going away for 2 months, can I just work for someone let's say for 3 months on a contract then leave? If employers will allow me to stay away for 2 months, i will happily quit today.
Reply 1
If you can find another job, then just don't tell them you're leaving until your notice period dictates, work until july then leave?
Or tell your boss where to stuff his £3.50 an hour and threaten court action unless he pays you minimum wage?
Reply 2
Original post by Kerrias
If you can find another job, then just don't tell them you're leaving until your notice period dictates, work until july then leave?
Or tell your boss where to stuff his £3.50 an hour and threaten court action unless he pays you minimum wage?

So is it possible to leave while on contract or do I have to pay some fee?

No chance, he's paying everyone like this, the manager gets £5 an hour.
Reply 3
Usually in your contract, you will have a notice period of 28 days or something similar. If you want to leave, you should tell your boss 28 days (or whatever your notice period is) before you want to leave and it will be fine. To not work your notice period is impolite, and would therefore mean you lose access to all entitlements from your work and entail a terrible reference, but even then there is no fees etc. There is certainly no fee if you give the required notice etc.
You could also just find a job with an ongoing contract that doesn't specify a time. You are then subject to the possibility they can let you go whenever they want, but you can also leave whenever you want. This is for any new job you might find.

For your current job, you have no responsibility regarding notice periods or leaving. I still suggest you threaten your boss with court action for minimum wage. The worst he will do is fire you (in which case I would encourage you to take your boss to court) but losing a job like that is not really a loss in my opinion.

Original post by AeTheCrash
So is it possible to leave while on contract or do I have to pay some fee?

No chance, he's paying everyone like this, the manager gets £5 an hour.
(edited 9 years ago)
He's breachinf employment law. You can leave with out notice.
Reply 5
Hi
You don't say how old you are, but assuming you're not on an apprenticeship you are getting less than the minimum wage for a 16 year old never mind someone older. This is against the law and you should take action to get your employer to give you the backdated pay he owes you.

Contact the Pay and Work Rights Helpline 0800 917 2368 for help. It's a confidential service and they will advise you of your rights and what to do. You are owed money and if your employer does not pay he is liable to prosecution/fine.

Even if you are leaving you should take action to get what is owed to you.

You might find it hard to get a new job if you are going away for 2 months so soon. It may be better to pursue your legal rights with your current employer, leave just before your 2 month break and then look for something else.

Best wishes

Original post by AeTheCrash
Hi guys, first of all thanks for reading my post.

Right, so as stated in the title, I'm currently working on £3.50 an hour at a takeaway, and trust me it's not an easy job, it's nasty,dirty and just not for me.

I'm want to find a proper job, however in july in going away for 2 months, can I just work for someone let's say for 3 months on a contract then leave? If employers will allow me to stay away for 2 months, i will happily quit today.

Take it further with regards to the wages.
You are entitled to. If you go to the CAB or someone, they would take your employer to the cleaners.
If you tell your boss you are taking it further, theres a chance that they may be frightened into sorting it without going any further. Otherwise, take it further and take them for all they have got.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending