The Student Room Group

Uniicard student card deal??

Has anyone heard of the uniicard pre-paid debit card that gives you money back? Does anyone use it??

An advert for it popped on on my facebook: http://www.uniicard.com/

Now I'm usually a bit wary about clicking on these adverts but curiosity got the better of me. It's a pre-paid debit card for students that gives you money back (they advertise 'up to 15%' but in reality it's lower in most places: 7% in Topshop, 6% in Debenhams, 3% in Asda, 4.5% in Marks & Spencer's etc...).

The only catches I can see are:

(1) £7.50 one off charge
(2) 60p per top-up (although you get one free top-up per month)
(3) Possible evidence of an 'enquiry' on your credit record (although this is solely to verify your address, apparently. No actual credit check will be done).

What are people's thoughts on this?? Good deal or not??
the deals from unidays or nus are much better then that. i mean a basic student id gets you around 10% off at top shop so the deals form that card aren't really that great. granted its a nice little card but it doesn't really seem worth it. and this uniicard is an actual card you have to put money on where as the other cards that offer better deals are simply a piece of plastic you wave at the till when using a discount.
Reply 2
Original post by Gaming_Hippy
the deals from unidays or nus are much better then that. i mean a basic student id gets you around 10% off at top shop so the deals form that card aren't really that great. granted its a nice little card but it doesn't really seem worth it. and this uniicard is an actual card you have to put money on where as the other cards that offer better deals are simply a piece of plastic you wave at the till when using a discount.

Reckon you could combine the NUS card with the uniicard though? Wave the NUS card and get 10% off and then pay with the uniicard?
Original post by Lintu93
Reckon you could combine the NUS card with the uniicard though? Wave the NUS card and get 10% off and then pay with the uniicard?

maybe.... but don't shops only accept one form of discount per purchase?
Reply 4
maybe.... but don't shops only accept one form of discount per purchase?

Hmm by the looks of it this uniicard is different in that the money back (so like the 7% in topshop) is credited back onto to your debit card following the purchase (or at the end of the month I think).
Original post by Lintu93
Hmm by the looks of it this uniicard is different in that the money back (so like the 7% in topshop) is credited back onto to your debit card following the purchase (or at the end of the month I think).

maybe but you should probably confirm that before buying the card
Reply 6

How old do you need to be to register for Unidays and use the discounts online?
Original post by Cherx
How old do you need to be to register for Unidays and use the discounts online?

I dont think the age matters all u need is a university email
I've got one. You show your NUS and then pay with this = double discount. It's worth £7.50 for a card that lasts three years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending