The Student Room Group

(new driver) my parked car got hit need some adivce

hi guys, ive been on the road for about a month now, i live in a private area which is gated, i park my car right outside my house and up to now i haven't had any problems.however today i came out of my house to see my car had moved forward by some distance, i thought maybe my handbrake was down, i checked and it was not, i then go to the back of the car to push it just to see if my handbrake had failed, however it wasn't moving,then i notice a dent, quite large large one and cracking on the lower part of the bodywork of the rear.so someone has obviously hit me quite hard. My house is at the end of a row, and my neighbors have been gone for a week with their car so i know it cant have been them.I checked all the other cars in my area and have found a mini cooper with denting and cracks that could suggest it hit me.Now the damage is just cosmetic , the car still drives and the rear lights work etc. i would like to know the procedure i should go through, should i contact police or should i contact my insurance company, or should i approach the other drivers in my area and question them.Its just a bit annoying that someone would do that and not even leave a note, i know the damage will probably be like 100 pounds but still quite fustrating.
Reply 1
First things first take some photos of the damaged mini just in case. Maybe ask around the neighbours to see if they might have heard anything as if it was hit hard enough to shunt your car a noticeable distance with the handbrake engaged then I'm willing to bet it made an almighty crunch, I mean in my old car I nudged another vehicle once and from the sound of it I thought I'd put a right dent in it (Was literally reversing about 0.5mph) and upon inspection there was quite literally no damage to either car so i guess for an impact like the one you describe there will have been quite a noise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending