The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have water constantly available but don't force yourself to drink it. I imagine the actual amount that is best is highly dependent on your stats and activity level.
Reply 2
ashy
Hi! Loads of people on this forum have been saying that drinking lots of water is good for mood/appearance etc. BUT! How much is that, and how much is too much? Somehow I doubt drinking gallons of water every day is a good thing. There was a brief period a few years back where I'd drink about 6 litres a day and I didn't feel that great!:p: Any thoughts?

I think they recommend 6-9 pints of water a day, but this can include, tea, coffee and pop.
Reply 3
ah ok, that makes sense I suppose, I just never feel the need to drink that much.
Reply 4
The Guru
I think they recommend 6-9 pints of water a day, but this can include, tea, coffee and pop.

not pop, it dehydrates you.
Reply 5
HeadShock
not pop, it dehydrates you.

Ok not pop, too much sugar and carbs I think. No alcohol either! lol
Reply 6
in that case surely not coffee or tea as well? :p: I mean just regular plain out of the tap water! Ah confused, think I'll just try to drink more water and see what happens!
Reply 7
ashy
in that case surely not coffee or tea as well? :p: I mean just regular plain out of the tap water! Ah confused, think I'll just try to drink more water and see what happens!

Well watch you don't cramp out. There are medical guidelines for this, ask your GP about it.

Peace! :smile:
Reply 8
They had this on QI - basically, the amount of dehydration caused due to coffee and tea etc is minute in comparison to the amount of water actually taken in with the drink. However, sugary drinks can cause mood swings like sugar rushes etc and also contain empty calories (methinks) which in the long run won't make you look good.

6 Litres is a hell of a lot! I used to get through about 2-2.5 L a day and that was more than enough. Each to his own though, but that might be why you weren't feeling that great.

w00tt
Advised amount is about 2-2.5L a day. If you drink about 3 litres in one go, there is actually a high chance that you could die from the rather unusual condition of water intoxication. People have also been known to die from this by drinking large quantities of water in a day, though I think you'd have to be up towards the 10-15L stage before that happened.
hmm... if i don't get my 4 l/day (in addition to tea/coffee/smoothies) i become a real miseryguts

i did not know you could die of water intoxication, no i didn't. thanks for that :smile:

edit/ while on the subject of water, i really wanted to share this with someone: you can die by dry drowning as well as wet drowning, sounds weird no? dry drowning is when you're drowning but your epiglottis seizes in "lungs closed off" position, in which case you just have a stomach full of water.. whereas wet drowning is where the epiglottis gives up after a while and your lungs fill with water as well as your stomach.. :eek: any forensics students about?
Pop? What the hell is that? Do you mean fizzy juice such as Irn Bru and Coke?
Whoa you used to drink 6 litres per day!
Reply 13
What is water?

H2O.

What is H2O?

H I J K L M N O
kemiandtheboy
edit/ while on the subject of water, i really wanted to share this with someone: you can die by dry drowning as well as wet drowning, sounds weird no? dry drowning is when you're drowning but your epiglottis seizes in "lungs closed off" position, in which case you just have a stomach full of water.. whereas wet drowning is where the epiglottis gives up after a while and your lungs fill with water as well as your stomach.. :eek: any forensics students about?

You'd have to drink an almost impossible amount of water for that to happen. I once had a competition drinking water with my best friend where we had to drink a pint of it every minute until one of us gave up, and I puked it up after 5 pints.
Reply 15
i drink hardly any water, and i know i certainly drink too many fizzy drinks etc... but i thought they were just bad for your teeth? so should i be cutting down on all the 'pop' and be drinking more water? will it make me feel better?
If you drink 3 litres in one go you could die? riiiiiiiiiiiiight :rolleyes:

I don't really drink much fluids at all, but when I do it's always water or robinsons.
I thought dry drowing was where you drowned in your own fuilds, like your lungs fill with...something, and wet drowning is the conventional one, like in a puddle.
Reply 18
Ok *enter lifeguard* lol. Dry drowning "secondary drowning" is when you're not immersed in water but your airway closes down for some reason that's beyond me - I think it's to do with the body protecting itself from drowning; because we're told to watch out for it in casualties who have had an incident in the pool and are now recovering on the side. If your airway just closes up randomly, that's not dry drowning, that's just bad luck/medical condition!

And yeah at one point I was getting through 3 2-litre bottles of water in one day, though to be fair that lasted no more than a week!
Reply 19
There was a case on the news a couple of months ago where a mother gave her toddler son so much water through the summer months (because she was afraid of dehydration) that the toddler got water intoxication, went into a coma and died.

As with anything, eat and drink things in moderation and you will be fine! Moderation is the key word, something the nanny state does not recognise!

Graham

Latest

Trending

Trending