The Student Room Group

Hezbollah- terrorists?

Reading up on Hezbollah a bit and their support in Lebanaoun and their aims. If people actually knew their aims they'd definatly not class them as a terrorist organisaition. They have support from Sunnis, Shias and Christians. I started researching this when my chrisitian leabanese freind actually proclaimed his support for Hezbollah much to my suprise. After a bit of research in my opinion they shouldn't be labelled as terrorists.

Few links:
http://english.al-akhbar.com/node/22129

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y69MGOprjzw
Are they still firing rockets into Israel to create israeli civilian casualties?

This is of course after their failed suicide bombing campaign against civilian targets.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Are they still firing rockets into Israel to create israeli civilian casualties?

This is of course after their failed suicide bombing campaign against civilian targets.

Don't get me started on a pariah state, defying international law, slaughtering civillians and occupying another man's land, WITH nuclear weapons, expecting others to not even be given a right to NUCEAR POWER because they have a radical ideology when the basis for the whole state is that it was promised in the Bible.
No, I don't see them as terrorists. But then again i am slightly biased being from South Lebanon(note spelling).
Original post by childofthesun
No, I don't see them as terrorists. But then again i am slightly biased being from South Lebanon(note spelling).

Interesting, would you say that more Christians are becoming supporters of Hezbollah due to ISIS and the fact that they are the protectors of Christians in villages for example?
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Interesting, would you say that more Christians are becoming supporters of Hezbollah due to ISIS and the fact that they are the protectors of Christians in villages for example?

The rise of IS definitely played a part in increasing the support of Hezbollah from Christians. Hezbollah have also been trying to win their support.

Also, before 2006,Christians were not so supporting of them, until the Israel-Hezbollah conflict. Many Lebanese people,Christian and non-Christian alike suffered greatly as a result of the war. For many,Hezbollah were seen as a resistance army,and Israel the 'common enemy' to put it simply. The results of Israel's bombardment and illegal occupation unified the Lebanese.
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Don't get me started on a pariah state, defying international law, slaughtering civillians and occupying another man's land, WITH nuclear weapons, expecting others to not even be given a right to NUCEAR POWER because they have a radical ideology when the basis for the whole state is that it was promised in the Bible.

British Colonel Richard Kemp testified to the UN that Israel undertakes greater measures to protect civilian life than any other nation has ever done in history, certainly greater than Coalition forces in Afghanistan. Civilian deaths in Palestine happen in spite of Israel's strict rules of engagement not because of them. Israel are a bit tetchy on Iran acquiring nuclear weapons of account of Iran on numerous occasions threatening to wipe Israel from the face of the planet. If your neighbour threatened to murder you wouldn't you oppose him getting hold of a pistol?
Original post by pol pot noodles
British Colonel Richard Kemp testified to the UN that Israel undertakes greater measures to protect civilian life than any other nation has ever done in history, certainly greater than Coalition forces in Afghanistan. Civilian deaths in Palestine happen in spite of Israel's strict rules of engagement not because of them. Israel are a bit tetchy on Iran acquiring nuclear weapons of account of Iran on numerous occasions threatening to wipe Israel from the face of the planet. If your neighbour threatened to murder you wouldn't you oppose him getting hold of a pistol?

To be fair, I don't doubt that Israel, in comparison to every Western aggressor in the last century, has stricter measures of engagement but that doesn't mean the number of civilian casualties is decent. According to the UN, 69% of the 2,100 killed in the last conflict were civilians. That's a very large percentage. Then comes the question of human shields: Israel and most western media outlets assures us that Hamas definitely do use human shields without any concrete evidence ( I haven't seen any yet). If you look at international law (Geneva convention in particular), Israel has violated it multiple times by targetting disabled facilities, hopsitals, schools and claim that they house Hamas operatives, without any concrete evidence that they do being released to the public.
Original post by HeavyTeddy
To be fair, I don't doubt that Israel, in comparison to every Western aggressor in the last century, has stricter measures of engagement but that doesn't mean the number of civilian casualties is decent. According to the UN, 69% of the 2,100 killed in the last conflict were civilians. That's a very large percentage. Then comes the question of human shields: Israel and most western media outlets assures us that Hamas definitely do use human shields without any concrete evidence ( I haven't seen any yet). If you look at international law (Geneva convention in particular), Israel has violated it multiple times by targetting disabled facilities, hopsitals, schools and claim that they house Hamas operatives, without any concrete evidence that they do being released to the public.

The problem is most people see that fact, that 69% of 2,100 deaths were civilian, and automatically assume that Israel must be indiscriminately killing civilians. Also lol at 'western aggressor', I'm talking about every conflict ever. There isn't one war or conflict where an army had stricter rules of engagements regarding civilians than Israel. Be it an army of a 'western aggressor', a western saviour, an eastern freedom fighter, Chinese communist, South American banana dictator, whatever.
As for otherwise protected buildings, British ROEs are that troops and commanders may attack if there is a genuine belief of threat to their life, and Israel I imagine operate a similar procedure, except in Israel's case they will ring every person in that building, drop thousands of leaflets warning of attack and give a lengthy timeline allowing for evacuation. If civilians choose to remain afterwards that is hardly Israel's fault. And there is plenty of evidence of Hamas snipers operating from hospital roofs or rockets being fired from behind schools etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending