The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Torn between Manchester and York

Hi I'm stuck between choosing Manchester (AAB) as firm or York (AAA) as firm with Manc as insurance and I was hoping someone could advise me either way.

I was thinking Manc because it has a good rep and the campus is beautiful but York because the course seems better but not sure about the rep. Also, one big thing is that York Uni looks grotty as anything. I don't get how anyone likes it, does no one else thik it's ugly enough to put them off going? Also, parents want me to go Manc so I dunno.
Original post by ibz100
Hi I'm stuck between choosing Manchester (AAB) as firm or York (AAA) as firm with Manc as insurance and I was hoping someone could advise me either way.

I was thinking Manc because it has a good rep and the campus is beautiful but York because the course seems better but not sure about the rep. Also, one big thing is that York Uni looks grotty as anything. I don't get how anyone likes it, does no one else thik it's ugly enough to put them off going? Also, parents want me to go Manc so I dunno.

I'm in the exact same position! Plus manchester is in the city and York is a lotttt quieter... I thought the same thing about the campus, there's so much ugly concrete, but no one else said anything on the open day, so I thought maybe I was over exaggerating...

Sighhh I don't know, york has a good rep so I might form it, just because their course looks so great. I think ultimately that's more important 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of York
York
Which course?

I would choose York but as I applied there I am a little biased.

Manchester has never appealed to me, nor have big city universities in general.
Omg same, I thought the campus was really ugly and disappointing but the uni is ranked a lot higher than Manchester and the course seems good. I thought Manchester campus was so much more impressive and I like the idea of living in both places but I just can't decide!!
Reply 4
York campus is a playground you learn to love as you live here. We all joke about the ugliness of the buildings but most of us wouldn't change it because it has a weird attraction after a while. Manchester would be best for your first year, however second and third you'll appreciate the easy transport and general living compared to Mancester.

this is from a York Uni student who wanted to go to a City.
I'm in the same position! I've got unconditionals from York and Manchester (for English Language & Linguistics). York is ranked really high for it and I really liked the staff, but Manchester on a whole is more exciting to me with so many more opportunities and things to do/get involved in with a great campus, libraries, study centres and SU. I can't decide!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending