The Student Room Group

Sign the petition to ban Halal slaughter today!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Any harm being done to an animal is abuse.
Reply 41
Original post by h3isenberg
I suggest that you do research, as stunned slaughter is conclusively and objectively less painful than non-stunned slaughter.

So basically what you're saying: 'don't criticise religions because people might get annoyed.'

Nah you're alright

You can criticise religion all you want, its not going to get you anywhere. No I didn't say others will get 'annoyed' where have I mentioned this? It takes mature people to respect every individual's background, religion with respect and accept that this is part of their religion if you can't than just keep it to yourself.

So you saying an electric current is not painful then just killing the animal immediately, you'd rather see the animal in long-term pain. wow.
Original post by AB2
You can criticise religion all you want, its not going to get you anywhere. No I didn't say others will get 'annoyed' where have I mentioned this? It takes mature people to respect every individual's background, religion with respect and accept that this is part of their religion if you can't than just keep it to yourself.

The fact that particular religions can be so easily subjected to critique speaks for itself, it doesn't need to have a direct result.

It takes mature people to not get butthurt when their beliefs are criticised :rolleyes:

So you saying an electric current is not painful then just killing the animal immediately, you'd rather see the animal in long-term pain. wow.

I've talking about captive bolt stunning which renders the animal unconscious immediately, and then slaughtering. Although all stunned slaughter is less painful for an animal than a unstunned slaughter, this is fact. The animal is never killed immediately in unstunned 'stick' slaughter.

Do you have any authentic sources to support your claims? Here's one to support mine from the RSPCA.
Reply 43
Original post by h3isenberg
The fact that particular religions can be so easily subjected to critique speaks for itself, it doesn't need to have a direct result.

It takes mature people to not get butthurt when their beliefs are criticised :rolleyes:

I've talking about captive bolt stunning which renders the animal unconscious immediately, and then slaughtering. Although all stunned slaughter is less painful for an animal than a unstunned slaughter, this is fact. The animal is never killed immediately in unstunned 'stick' slaughter.

Do you have any authentic sources to support your claims? Here's one to support mine from the RSPCA.

I' m not butthurt personally I don't care what you think about any religion, just accept that we live in a multi-cultural society where not everyone has the same beliefs, im sure you should be used to this by now. If you think slaughtering is wrong, again this is your opinion. You should have mention 'captive bolt stunning' in the first place I thought you were talking about stunning in general, with an electric current. Again this is not the most friendly way of killing animals because a hand drill is drilled inside the animals head and a bolt is released which causes the animal to become unconscious. Please be clear and specific next time.
Original post by AB2
I' m not butthurt personally I don't care what you think about any religion, just accept that we live in a multi-cultural society where not everyone has the same beliefs, im sure you should be used to this by now.

You're butthurt when you are saying 'keep opinions of my beliefs to yourself.' If your faith was strong then you would welcome criticism of your beliefs.

When peoples beliefs counter common sense and result in exemption from the law, then this becomes a problem. This issue is going to be debated in Parliament, too.

If you think slaughtering is wrong, again this is your opinion.

Erm, when did I say that?

You should have mention 'captive bolt stunning' in the first place I thought you were talking about stunning in general, with an electric current.

You're the one who made the assumption that electrical stunning is the only way to stun an animal. Captive bolt stunning is the most used anyway... Having said that, all stunned slaughter is less painful than unstunned slaughter. That one source I posted demonstrates that.
Again this is not the most friendly way of killing animals because a hand drill is drilled inside the animals head and a bolt is released which causes the animal to become unconscious.

LOL that is not captive bolt stunning.

Please be clear and specific next time.

Pls know what you're talking about next time.
What is wrong with eating halal meat
...if you don't wanna eat don't..simple.Let the people who do want to eat halal meat eat it.
If you don't like the way the meat is slaughtered anyway(halal or whatever) then there should be a petition for all slaughter of meat should banned..
Tbh really don't care if I eat halal meat but I do respect peoples choices of eating halal/kosher meat and vegans and vegeterians.I guess people have really strong feelings about meat from cows and how they should be slaughted.

I would like to see how this petition goes umm..

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 46
You know ok you won /claps/, I really can't be asked to debate over this. It's not like this petition is gong to get anywhere. Peace out.

P.S. Read this this, http://www.grandin.com/ritual/rec.ritual.slaughter.html, here's my source.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by AB2
You know ok you won /claps/, I really can't be asked to debate over this. It's not like this petition is gong to get anywhere. Peace out.

lol that guy has way too much time on his hands.
here's a petition to protect religious slaughter: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/74830 which has 129359 sig's so far.
Reply 48
Original post by kyoti
lol that guy has way too much time on his hands.
here's a petition to protect religious slaughter: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/74830 which has 129359 sig's so far.

Tell me about it. Man I wasted my time when I could have been doing something else. Oh great thanks! I want to make sure my rights are protected.
Reply 49
Original post by AB2
Tell me about it. Man I wasted my time when I could have been doing something else. Oh great thanks! I want to make sure my rights are protected.

the petitions going great atm only takes a minute to fill and confirm via email. also just ignore those kind of people on this site. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 50
got my signature!!!
Original post by DiddyDec
I never said that it was illegal. Could you show me where I said that?

Stunning animals during slaughter is not abuse. In fact it is one of the most humane ways to kill an animal. That is why we do it. I don't think any religion should be exempt from the law.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it humane that an intelligent, sapient being such as a baleen whale might find itself entangled in a gill net so you can eat a beer battered cod with a side of rancid, soggy chips? Or an albatross be ensnared and drowned by a fishing line so you can enjoy a tuna salad? Entire habitats trawled to ruin in the name of barbecued shrimp? If you legitimately care about animal welfare then stop kidding yourself. All meat equals suffering.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by Captain Haddock
Funny how many people become animal welfare activists when the Muslims are involved.

Or maybe because halal directly conflicts with some people's personal and religious beliefs, and it's also a problem when it isn't labelled as being halal?
Is it humane that an intelligent, sapient being such as a baleen whale might find itself entangled in a gill net so you can eat a beer battered cod with a side of rancid, soggy chips? Or an albatross be ensnared and drowned by a fishing line so you can enjoy a tuna salad? If you legitimately care about animal welfare then stop kidding yourself. All meat equals suffering.

What the **** do I care?

I'm more hypocritical than most other people in this thread.

I'm a hunter, everything from rabbit to zebra.

I don't care, I just wanted to pass the time by arguing for things that I don't even believe in.
Original post by DiddyDec
What the **** do I care?

I'm more hypocritical than most other people in this thread.

I'm a hunter, everything from rabbit to zebra.

I don't care, I just wanted to pass the time by arguing for things that I don't even believe in.

Here's the thing. I eat meat everyday and I love seafood. I'm a massive hypocrite in that regard. I think vegetarianism is more moral than eating meat but I guess I just like eating meat more than I care about the lives of (most) animals. But complaining about halal being too cruel is a rung too far up the hypocritical ladder for me. I basically accept that the meat industry is cruel and brutal to the point that the difference between halal vs non-halal is pretty much immaterial.
Protect religious slaughter in the UK and EU:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/74830
Here's the thing. I eat meat everyday and I love seafood. I'm a massive hypocrite in that regard. I think vegetarianism is more moral than eating meat but I guess I just like eating meat more than I care about the lives of (most) animals. But complaining about halal being too cruel is a rung too far up the hypocritical ladder for me. I basically accept that the meat industry is cruel and brutal to the point that the difference between halal vs non-halal is pretty much immaterial.

I don't want any animal to suffer. But I am more hypocritical because I actually kill animals and as much as I try to make their deaths as painless as possible it is not always the case.

What is worse is I have even worked in the meat industry. I have worked on farms around the world raising cattle and sheep for slaughter. I like to believe that here in the UK we at least try to reduce suffering as much as possible.
Under the halaal code, animals are supposed to be killed quickly with a single sweep of a surgically-sharp knife.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AB2
Please do your research about slaughtering animals and stunning then you'll find the answer yourself. Each religion has its own culture, values an practices if you can'r respect them I suggest you keep it to yourself, you don't need to respect it yourself if you don't think it's right but be aware that others who are part of that religion do. So keep you opinions to yourself.

Yes, they do but those practices shouldn't be inflicted on those who don't believe in them. I'm all for cultural and religious toleration but I don't see how because one group of people believe in a certain practice that I should have to live my life in accordance with it. We live in a democracy and disagreeing with a Muslim practice is not being racist as Islam isn't a race. Britain's democratic values allow us to disagree with a topic or issue without being branded racist.

Catholics don't eat fish on a Friday (they do Scotland but generally not elsewhere). How would you feel if that practice were inflicted on you?

Halal slaughter is barbaric and cruel and no matter how many times you call me racist or intolerant I won't change my mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by TheBBQ
Or maybe because halal directly conflicts with some people's personal and religious beliefs, and it's also a problem when it isn't labelled as being halal?

or maybe you're just being a dick?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending